email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Outlook mail downloading from Talktalk.

Neilash
Participant
Message 14 of 14

Hi - My daughter has problems with her talktalk emails. Ever since the talktalk email outage the other week her emails won't download to her laptop. She is using Microsoft 365 Outlook and talktalk IMAP settings. She can access talktalk webmail and her emails download to her iphone. I have changed her password and even deleting her email account on her laptop and re-installing but it keeps coming up with error message "We couldn't log on to the incoming (IMAP) server. Any thoughts on solutions to this problem?  

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Neilash, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 14

Hi Neil

The green tick simply confirms that the character format of the password is acceptable.  That's all. Not that the current password is validated as correct. Or that the new password passes a security check.

It's only when you enter a new password and select the Update button that the check of the current password is validated with the sign in authentication. Only when the system finds the current password is correct and the new password passes a check that it hasn't been used before for any of the 5 previous password changes will the system give you a green banner message to confirm 'Your password has been updated'.

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount - Your password has been updated.png

We appreciate you taking time out to let us have your feedback and to know the password issue is finally resolved.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 14

Done!!!!

Believe it or not after changing her password a number of times in "Manage TalkTalk Mail" it turns out it was still her original one. Apparently "I'd" forgotten to type a symbol at the end! Even though she kept telling me her password was ......(no symbol)

Could I ask why when typing in the Current Password - even if you type in an incorrect password you still get a Green Tick next to it?

Anyway problem now solved. 

Thanks for all the replies.

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Neil, you seem to be confused about the email password.

To be clear, there is only one password for an email address. It doesn't matter how you access the mailbox; webmail, Outlook, phone email app - for the email address the password required to access webmail or Outlook or email app is all the same.

Select here for webmail: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Manually enter the talktalk email address, select Continue if prompted.

Manually enter the talktalk email password, select Sign in.

If you get signed in to the mailbox then that proves you know the email password. 

Using Outlook, untick the setting to use the same settings as the incoming server and then, when prompted by Outlook to enter a password, select the tick box to remember / save the password and manually enter the same password you just used for webmail.

Screenshot the email settings you're using with Outlook so we can see what you see but image edit to obscure the first part of the email address before uploading.

Message 5 of 14

Hi - ignore that last bit. Re-set the microsoft password to the one used as talktalk email password but still no joy.

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi Ady, Gondola

I'm going to have to park this one for now. As I'm still getting the "Could not log on to the incoming (IMAP) server. But cannot check the Microsoft Outlook password is the same because she has changed her mobile phone number. Because she has updated the number we can't access the site until Microsoft have updated her mobile number.

However she is still receiving emails on her mobile phone yet she hasn't updated the password on her phone.

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Please let us know how you're getting on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi Ady

Sorry not yet but going to try and sort any errors out at this end today if I can find the time!

Still having problem with logging onto incoming server.

However my daughter is still able to access webmail and is able to download emails to her phone but not her laptop!

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi Neilash, are you sorted now? 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi Neil

TalkTalk does not use SPA (Secure Password Authentication) which is why the password is not recognised and the incoming (IMAP) server login fails.  Untick 'use SPA'. Exit Outlook to make sure the settings are saved.

Relaunch Outlook and try again as the other settings are the TalkTalk recommended settings as per: Email settings - IMAP for TalkTalk Mail mailboxes.

If you still get a login fail I assume you have double checked the correct password is saved by Outlook and Outlook isn't presenting an old password? 

Message 11 of 14

Hi Gondola

We are using the IMAP settings as provided by talktalk 

user name is Laura's email address.

Password is the updated password I changed in My Account - manage emails

server is mail.talktalk.net  Port is 993

Encryption method SSL/TLS.

I have ticked the Secure Password Authentication box but leaving it blank makes no difference

Outgoing Mail is smtp.talktalk.net  Port is 587

Encryption method STARTTLS.

Secure Password Authentication box is blank.

My outgoing (SMTP) server requires authentication box is ticked. Radio button "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is on.

Click OK and the message we get is:

Something went wrong

We could not logon to the incoming (IMAP) Server. Please check your email address.....

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 14

Hi Neilash, you'll get the help you need to sort this from Gondola. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Ady

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi Neil

Failure to log on to the incoming mail server usually means that Outlook is presenting an incorrect password for the specified server host name. 

Are you using these recommended settings? Email settings - IMAP & POP3 

Take screenshots of the incoming server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here so we can advise.