email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems receiving emails on multple devices.

mbails
First Timer
Message 2 of 2

Have always received talktalk emails on laptop and iPad OK. Recently using new iPad as well as old one but new iPad does not receive all emails, often a batch of several not received.  Now in process of setting up additional new computer but something weird happening. New computer received todays emails when I switched on but as soon as I activated Outlook on old laptop all emails came up on laptop and simultaneously disappeared from new computer.  This happened yesterday as well.  Is there a limit to the use of muliple devices receiving emails at the same location or is something else happening?  Help please.

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

Gondola
Community Star
Message 1 of 2

Hi @mbails

The answer is to use IMAP email account settings for all your devices.  There's no limit to the number of IMAP clients you can set up for the one account although there is usually a limit on concurrent connections.

But first a heads-up that there has been an issue today with webmail, then with the new TalkTalk Mail platform not communicating with email clients and apps. I believe the issues are now all fixed.

Whilst the issues may have been complicating your testing and setup of email clients and mobile devices my diagnosis is that you've not got all email clients and apps using accounts set up for IMAP protocol. 

It is best to have all clients and apps using IMAP so that they all synchronise with the talktalk server mailbox and each one sees what's in the mailbox.  If you delete an email via any device then that email will be deleted from the server mailbox and that will synchronise to all other devices the next time they connect.

My diagnosis is that the old laptop is set up with a POP3 mail account that by default is downloading the mailbox and then deleting all emails.  When the new computer synchronises with the mailbox it finds that there are no emails which is why they all appear to disappear.

So the fix is to make sure all email clients and apps are set up as IMAP accounts.

The TalkTalk.net email settings you need are:

Account Type  IMAP
Login / Username username@talktalk.net
Password Yes
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security SSL
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security STARTTLS
Outgoing Authentication Yes

Use plain unencrypted password for authentication.

Here's some more advice on changing from POP3 to IMAP

If you have any setup questions then post back and I'll do my very best to help you get a complete fix.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

0 Likes