Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Problems syncing talktalk email with mobile outlook

4 REPLIES 4
Nicolarw
Sightseer

Hi, I keep having problems syncing my IMAP talktalk account with my mobile outlook (my gmail account works fine as do both in my laptop version). Investigation shows the problem lies with talktalk’s SSL certificate as it does not match the domain I’m connecting to. Outlook defaults to outgoing server 465 but talktalk say it should be 587, how do I overcome this as every time I change it to 587 I get the message that the server identity and trust chain does not match the domain I’m connecting to

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Nicolarw 

Your post is labelled with the talktalk.net domain - is that your email address domain and hence the TalkTalk outgoing SMTP server domain you're connecting to for sending mail? 

If not, what domain is your email?

The recommended email settings are here: Email settings - IMAP & POP3 and yes, the outgoing SMTP server port for mail on the TalkTalk Mail platform is 587 using STARTTLS connection security. 

If you're using Outlook for Android then a secure connection is the default option. If that secure connection is set with port 465 then it will fail. I haven't been able to send mail via the TalkTalk Mail server using Outlook for Android so my recommendation is to use a different email app like Gmail or other of your choice.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Nicolarw, please keep us posted with your progress. If you need more help let us know.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Nicolarw
Sightseer
Hi, yes it is the talktalk domain and I’m using outlook for iOS. I’ve set 587 as my SMTP port, I can’t find anywhere to say that it is using STARTTLS security but it does ask for an smtp password. I still can’t connect, have contacted Microsoft but no luck yet.
Gondola
Community Star

I gave up on trying to get Outlook for Android working as expected and looking at reports of other users using Outlook for iOS and seeing the same unresolved issue being reported with other ISP's (worldwide) I'm sure it's the way that the Outlook app is configured.

Just use TalkTalk Mail webmail or another mobile email app.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer