cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Problems using Windows live and a @ukgateway.net email address - can send can't receive

3 REPLIES 3
gbedr6h
First Timer

Hi, I've got a @Ukgateway.net email address and it's been playing up in Windows Live for a week - I can send but not receive and I've tried the FAQ suggestion TalkTalk have. I can access emails OK in Talk Talk webmail. Live Error message says: Your POP3 server is not responding, and then I get the following message: 

Unable to send or receive messages for the xxxxxx account. A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.

Server: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC19
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

Hope someone can help

Richard Moodey
Gondola
Community Star

Hi gbedr6h 

To link this topic to your TalkTalk Mail service, in preparation for direct help from TalkTalk support, please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile preferred). Add your full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc and then save changes.

I know you've checked TalkTalk webmail but just compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.  Just to double check the mailbox is working as expected. 

I don't anticipate any issues with the mailbox as the Windows Live Mail (WLM) error is just a time-out.  These time-outs are caused by the WLM communication being slowed down. Could be a computer corruption, malware or Internet security software holding up the access while scanning for viruses etc.

The normal advice is to check your computer for malware etc. possibly temporarily disable any Internet Security Software - we have seen other members report that Kaspersky does hold up secure ports and needs exclusions adding to its network settings.

Are you running a Windows 10 computer or an older OS?  I'm going to suggest you retire WLM because the product hasn't had security updates from Microsoft for a considerable time. Going online, even though you are using SSL/TLS security which is good, poses a risk.

I'd recommend using TalkTalk Mail either via a browser or mobile app or upgrading your email client to Windows Mail / Outlook / Mozilla Thunderbird etc.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

gbedr6h
First Timer

Hi Gondola, and thanks for the reply. I am using a Windows 10 PC and I know WLM is unsupported by Microsoft. It's just been convenient as all my folders are still available and TalkTalk you've got to start them all over again. I could start using Outlook too. Just frustrated that WLM isn't playing ball, and weird I can send but can't receive via WLM. Thank you

Richard Moodey
OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi gbedr6h, I'll send you a personal message to obtain more information so that I can take a look at this. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.