email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Outlook and reappearing folders.

Nick2D
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 9

I really am at a loss with this problem and would appreciate any help.

I use Outlook to manage my Talk Talk e-mail, and have configured it using the IMAP/SMTP settings as recommended by Talk Talk, namely:

Incoming Mail Server: imap.talktalk.net

Port: 993

Encryption Method: SSL/TLS

The SPA box is not ticked

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.talktalk.net

Port: 587

Encryption Method: STARTTLS

The SPA box is not ticked

My outgoing (SMTP) server requires authetication is ticked

Use same settings as my incoming mail server button is selected

The problem I have is that any subfolders I delete from Outlook immediately reappear in their original location. I have contacted Microsoft and they believe the problem lies with the Talk Talk settings.

Can anyone help?

Kind regards,

Nick

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 9

Thank you Ady & Gondola.

I have added my Talk Talk mail to Windows Mail and all appears fine there too, so I agree that the issue is with Outlook. I never doubted it, but I thought the settings supplied by Talk Talk may have been wrong or needed tweaking as I have other accounts in Outlook with no issues at all. I have informed Microsoft of the advice supplied on this thread.

Many thanks,

Nick

Message 3 of 9

Hi Nick2D, please let us know how you geto n following Gondolas advice. Unfortunately, Outlook is far from perfect and does from time to time corrupt. When I was in IT in industry often the fix was to remove and reinstall the Outlook client or repair it. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 9

Hi Nick2D 

TalkTalk Mail supports read receipts. Request for read receipts is on the Compose screen on the Attachments, Signatures and Options toolbar.  Just select the Options drop down and select Request read receipt.  However, not all mail services will actually acknowledge a request.

You've confirmed that there isn't any problem when using TalkTalk Mail and the sub-folders are deleted.

My take on this is that Outlook is reinstating these folders.  When Outlook synchronises to the online mailbox the folders should be exactly as you see them in webmail.

To prove this is an Outlook issue just take Outlook offline add the IMAP email account to Windows Mail or Thunderbird. From either of those or from webmail get the folders exactly as you need them and you should see in Windows Mail / Thunderbird the synchronised folders replicated exactly as they are in the online mailbox.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 5 of 9

Hi Gondola.

If I weren't using Outlook then yes, there would be no problem, but unfortunately I do use Outlook to run my business as it has more functionality than webmail, such as delivery tracking and read receipts when I send out my invoices etc.

As a result the problem still exists.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

So, problem solved or is there more troubleshooting to consider?

PS there's nothing amiss with the settings you have set up in Outlook. They're spot on perfect.

Message 7 of 9

If I sign into the webmail and delete a folder I do not have the problem of the folder reappearing.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

And if you sign in to TalkTalk Mail and delete the sub-folders from there?

Enter your email address, select Continue.

Enter your email password, select Sign in.