email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with using email in Outlook - logins rejected

Flaneuse
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 6

I have two email addresses xxxx@talktalk.net. I can access them both on Webmail to send and receive. Using Outlook, I can as of today access only one. The other will neither send nor receive. I have changed nothing in the Outlook account settings for either. The one that doesn't work uses incoming server mail.talktalk.net, outgoing smtp.talktalk.net. The one that does work uses incoming server pop.talktalk.net, outgoing smtp.talktalk.net.  The address that doesn't work is the main one I  use to login to TalkTalk. 

SH talktalk receive.JPG

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

It's magic? Let us know if you need anything else.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Flaneuse
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 6

It's now working. Nothing changed my end re passwords or settings. Receiving came back before sending.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi Flaneuse 

There was an outage of the sign in authentication between 0800 and 0919. If you made any changes during that time then Outlook may be using an incorrect password. 

You've not commented on the password strength? If the password is deemed weak then when the authentication system came back online it might be rejecting the password.

Why not just upgrade the password? That would be what I'd do right now.

0 Likes

Flaneuse
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 6

Both email addresses are listed as active. Has something has changed today with regard to password authentication or anything else, because it worked before? I access my TalkTalk customer account using the email address and password that does not work for Outlook; it is the primary one on the account.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi Flaneuse 

Are both email addresses listed in an active customer MyAccount? And is the password, for the non-working mailbox, strong enough? A weak password may get you signed in to webmail but fail authentication by the mail servers.

The Reset your password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery. 

If the email address is still active on the TalkTalk Mail platform and you have set up password recovery options, in advance, that you recognise from the *****hints, then you can send your alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

Just to confirm that the Outlook server setup for all TalkTalk mailboxes is the same. The incoming server host name is recommended as mail.talktalk.net but pop.talktalk.net is also listed on the server certificate and will access the same server.

On updating the email software incoming, outgoing and some advanced server settings, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password so have the current password ready. Tick to remember or save the password before entering it.

Supported* email client and app settings are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended) or POP3
Username Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP / POP3) 993 / 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Outgoing Authentication Required Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password (NOT SPA)

It's also important to make sure the email address is added to a TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount to avoid restriction to webmail only access and possible deletion. 

Email not showing in My Account

TalkTalk Mail Plus is the mail only subscription service for TalkTalk Mail users in the UK that are not home broadband customers.

* Email clients, apps and devices that do not support secure mail using a minimum of TLS1.2 connection security are not supported.

0 Likes