email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieving auto forwarded emails following hacking

cnps1
Chatterbox
Message 5 of 5

My Talktalk email account was hacked some time after 19.10 on 18/10/21. The hacker set auto forwarding & changed the reset email address. I've subsequently changed these so I can receive email again.

Is there any way I can retrieve the emails that I never received?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi cnps1, have you run full AntiVirus and Malware scans? If you haven't you need to do that urgently and then change the password after the scans are clear. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 5

Hi cnps1 

Onliner spambot surfaced in 2017 and was a download of malware that captured passwords. If your password hasn't been changed for 5 or more years then that's a plausible explanation. The forwarding email addresses have also been seen by another member recently.  Suggests a criminal gang involved in cyber crime.

If any losses have been discovered via any of your linked logins then yes do please report to Action Fraud UK  https://reporting.actionfraud.police.uk/login or telephone 0300 123 2040 Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

cnps1
Chatterbox
Message 3 of 5

Thanks. The forwarding email addresses were protect@spamsecurity.ru & reemontebioss@gmail.com. Do I need to send this to Action Fraud UK?

I checked on haveibeenpwned.com & it says my email was pwned by Onliner Spambot - could this be how the password was discovered?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi cnps1 

You're lucky that the password wasn't changed to lock you out completely.

TalkTalk doesn't offer a backup service to copy received mail.

The only solution, for expected mail, is to ask the originators to repeat the sending of that missing mail. It involves a bit of guessing on your part to think about who may have sent mail. But that's a useful exercise to identify any linked accounts that might also get compromised.

Do you have a clue as to how the mailbox password was discovered? Did you make a note of the forwarding email address? If there's a fraud committed then Action Fraud UK may be able to access the remote mailbox.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution