email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SENT items vanished

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 32 of 32

This happened before, because of wierd things in my "inboxes"

But this time I can't find the "sent" messages - it's almost certainly an arifact of the failed migration.

I could see all my sent messages at about 18.00 on Friday evening, because I referred to one.

On Saturday morning - they had all vanished.

I need them, as I archive my sent messages, offline & on my own computer every Jan/Feb by year.

I have a wierd arrangement of sub-folders in my setup ( I have no idea how it happened - & they should not be there - & I could not delete them, either ) which was referred to in a discussion several months back.

THEN - I was able to retrieve them, as they had swanned off to those folders, but not this time.

You may be able to find reference to that problem, by back-checking my comms with you this year ... 

0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31

Message 1 of 32

Perhaps this will help you understand better. Unless you choose to delete the .PST file by going into folders and deleting it manually you won't delete your emails. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/remove-or-delete-an-email-account-from-outlook-1fa900ae-6...

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 2 of 32

Sorry, I don't understand that one.

The "Remove mailbox from Outlook" thing - what - exaxtly am I supposed to try?

And how do I guarantee that I don't lose anything ...

WHere do I "store" the mailbox & its contents, or do I copy it/contents somewhere else, or what....

GT

0 Likes

Message 3 of 32

I've asked the email admins what they thought of the error you were seeing re the none of the authentication issue. They've never seen or heard of that specific fault before. 

Have you tried the time honoured method of fixing corrupt Outlook issues? Remove the mailbox from Outlook close Outlook, re open it then add the mailbox again before restarting Outlook again.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 4 of 32

STILL HAPPENING ....

Nothing seems to have gone today - several attemps ... until just now, when 5 messages, including one composed yesterday evening all went together (!)

A local friend/expert has suggested that one of your servers/processing units is on the blink - sometimes it works & my messages send & sometimes it isn't working & my messages hang in the ether.

Could I PLEASE have a reply?

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 5 of 32

HOPEFULLY in the correct thread, this time.

I's still doing it ...

Sometimes I compose a message ( In "Outlook" of course ) & it immediately sends.

Other times, it simply won't & "hangs" with the error-message I've previously posted appearing.

Now - either the authentication methods are valid, or they are not, but between MS "Outlook" & TakTalk it seems the two systems cannot decide whather it's correct or not, from one minute to the next - which cannot be right, surely?

Incidentally, has my "primary" actually been fully migrated to the new system?
I can "see" myself in TalkTalk's basic login/access, but I much prefer to use "Outlook" from home

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 32

Oops!

I keep doing this, partly because I'm unsure if "my problem" is the same as "other people's problems"

Incidentally, it's doing it again - will post on proper thread

0 Likes

Message 7 of 32

Hi GregTingey, please stick to posting in your own thread to avoid any confusion with answers from the OP. 

Ady

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 8 of 32

I've said before, & will repeat here ..
hen it fails, which it does some of the time, & sometimes works perfectly ....

I get the following message:

QUOTE: Sending' reported error (0x800CCC80) : 'None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.'  ENDQUOTE

Which is plainly rubbish as it works about half the time .... & I am not changing or altering anything.

This is all whilst operating in MS "Outlook" of course.

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 9 of 32

Addendum...

Here is the error-message I get when it does refuse to "go"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sending' reported error (0x800CCC80) : 'None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.'

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Which is nonsense, as either it should work or it shouldn't, not erratically, some of the time & sometimes not.

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 10 of 32

As far as I can tell - yes.
BUT

My home emial - where I'm using "outlook" is still misbehaving erratically.

Most of the time, now, it's working, but then it "has a fit" & claims that my protocols are not compatible - as previously mentioned.

But I have not changed anything, either before or after these events.

P.S. Oh yes - I thought I had saved my past "sent" messages to my own computer only - but I can see them in webmail, if I go down a level.

Probably does not matter if they are on the new, migrated system, but I don't want to lose them - or has the old system already been evaporated?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 32

Is webmail still working as expected? 

Ady

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 12 of 32

As I've said elsewhere ....

I'm, only sending from my "main" computer, I'm not interested in trying to do it from a phone ... and ...

It is so erratic & unpredictable.

When it fails I always get the same error-message, yet sometimes it works instantly, sometimes it won't work for nearly 24 hours, or it will stop working for 5 or 5 hours & then do what it's supposed to.

But the error-message - if correct, should mean that I could not send at all, ever.  ... And then it goes away & works.

Um.

See the thread labeleed ... "Re: where have all my emails gone?"

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 13 of 32

AND - it's £%*&*^ing again, again, again .....

I've just had about 2 days+ trouble-free sending.  Stuft was just "going" immediately & appearing in my "sent" box, the way it's supposed to.  Also, it was working perfectly this morning & at lunch-time.

I just tried to send a message - & - it failed - wont "go".

[ Message in "Outlook" pop-up window saying "you have unsent messages - do you want ot exit without sending?" - or words to that effect.This is after I get a "Sende/Recive error" message, of course. ]

WHAT IS HAPPENING & WHY?

I'm not changing any of my settings or protocols, yet, sometimes it works, & sometimes it doesn't.

{ NOTE: I only use this main computer for emails, I'm not set up for using my smartphone, nor do I want to, so it should be simpler & mpre reliable, but it isn't.

I would appreciate some help on this one, thanks. }

0 Likes

Message 14 of 32

Hi GregTingey, if you use post 25 for sending it will only work when you're connected to the TalkTalk network so won't work from phone data or alternate networks. If you use 587 that will send from any network. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 15 of 32

This is why I won't use imap. I know where all my sent emails are, they are on my computer, not in the cloud waiting for somebody to screw it up. I also back up my email to a backup drive too. I don't need to leave my email in a cloud.

Asimov
0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 16 of 32

Hi ... see also the last post in this thread, please:
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/SENT-items-vanished/m-p/2627890#M139132

As described I can recieve, but my sending is extremely erratic - sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
Putting an alias in, to hide my actgual username, my Login usernames are: abc12@dsl.pipex.com AND $_NAME@dsl.pipex.com
checking My MS Office/"Outlook" settings it says:
Incoming mail:
Username - as above / Password ( not telling you! )
Server - imap.dsl.pipex.com Port - 143

Outgoing mail:
Server - smtp.dsl.pipex.com Port - 25

Now the incoming works fine, but the outgoing depends on the wind-direction, whether it's raining or not, or something equally unpredicatble. ( You get the idea? )
What is happening here & can it be fixed?

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 17 of 32

OK ...

More information for the experts, in the hope of tracking this one down.

My browser is Chrome, running in MS windows 10

My home email main account is MS "Otlook"

Sometimes, when I open mail a message will send immediately, no problem

Sometimes it won't & I get the MS error-message shown below ( email address is a fake, obviously )

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Task my_email_address@dsl.pipex.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC80) : 'None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.'

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now, I am not changing or altering anything at all - yet sometimes the message goes, sometimes it does not.

If not, I exit without sending & hope that it will send next time I open MS Office

Again, sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

Those that are "hanging" do NOT appear in my new TalkTalk web-page ( I've just checked ) - only those that have actually gone to someone else.

Oh & I can recieve e-mails all the time, or so it seems.

WHAT is going on here & how can it be cured?

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 18 of 32

Almost everything is now working .. EXCEPT the very erratic refusal to "send" from here - sometimes it will - sometimes it wont.

Error-message in MS "Outlook" says: 

QUOTE] Task my_email_address - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC80) : 'None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.' [ ENDQUOTE

Except, about half the time, it sends OK & the other half it won't 

Am posting this message on one, possibly two other threads that may be relevant - OK?

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 19 of 32

And NOW - I have just had a failure to "Send" from my home email - looks like either TalkTalk or MS Outlook are playing up again ...

It's so unpredictable & inconsistent.

0 Likes

GregTingey
Super Duper Contributor
Message 20 of 32

Thanks ... this discussion seems to have migrated to a new thread:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/Migration-confusion-quot-security-quot-Potential-l...

E-mail seems to be working - now.

I am now concerned as to if/when the old legacy page vanishes, will I lose all my old mails?

Do I need to back them up, if only temprarily.

And can something be done about my wierd "looped"/nested files semi-hidden on the legacy page?

I have just done the test you describe - it's popped up, almost immediately.

Not yet visible on my home ( Outlook ) window - yet.

Ah, good ...

NOW - all my previous "Inbox" & "Sent" messages have appeared on the new page ... they were not there, before.

GOOD.

I assume the system was waiting to be prodded before it logged everything in.

I THINK the only remaining problem is now the legacy sites odd file arrangemet(s).

So far, so good!

0 Likes