email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Email

metalgod11
Chat Champion
Message 14 of 14

Just received an obvious scam email, informing me I'm due a refund because I've overpaid. Special place in the bowels of Hades for these slimedogs. Anyone else got one?

Ps, TalkTalk...how do they know I'm a customer?

13 REPLIES 13

AldridgeAndy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Myself and my family members who are also talktalk account holders have also received this same email sent from a talktalk.net address.

Would be nice if talktalk themselves were more vocal and more proactive about the increasing levels of spam and scam emails passing through their network.

Reacting to spam / scam emails moved within a web client to the spam / junk folder would be a good start. Not everyone wants to use the advert riddled webmail day to day.

Message 2 of 14

Hi All

Just to say that the TalkTalk Security team are on the case re these 'refund scam' emails. Service Status has the issue flagged up on the Security Updates section.

An example of the refund scam email is shown in the guide to recent phishing emails.

Any genuine TalkTalk email received directly by the TalkTalk Mail mailbox and viewed via webmail will have a yellow padlock icon showing in the email list and email view.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

hosay299
Philosopher
Message 3 of 14

Hi. I have had one but had 2 seems they know my other talktalk email address wait and see if they send it to my other talktalk email address

But have been using gmail for years

But WHY does the talktalk NEW WEBMAIL not block it??????!!!!!!!

Hope that help Regards Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)

LUDDITE
Whizz Kid
Message 4 of 14

I got one this morning, looks quite true, but a refund get real!! 🤣

0 Likes

metalgod11
Chat Champion
Message 5 of 14

I'm out at the moment Gondola, thanks for the site and I'll get to work on it when I get home in the morning.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Andy you don't answer the basic questions:

1. Was the scam email purporting to be from TalkTalk sent to your Gmail address?

2. Is the Gmail address linked to your TalkTalk account?

3. Did the scammer use any personal details in said email?

4. Is the Gmail address listed on haveibeenpwned?

The answers can help to identify if there's a new scam in progress.

TalkTalk will pick this up when the Community support team return to support Community on Monday.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

I have no idea how they got my details...how could I? If I was forced to try and come up with a method, a rogue TT employee would probably be top of my list. I'm still here and last time I checked my savings are still intact, but that was too close for comfort and as we're seeing now it's still happening

Message 8 of 14
Hi, It was sent to my talk talk email. I've deleted it and am using another email to log into my account.
Luckily when I clicked on the link and was took to what I thought was the Talk talk site I realised it was a scam.
0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

@metalgod11 wrote:  I use Gmail not a Tiscali address...

Was the scam email purporting to be from TalkTalk sent to your Gmail address? Is this linked in any way to your TalkTalk account? Did they use any personal details in said email?

And what did you discover about how the scammers may have found your Gmail address?  Any clues from haveibeenpwned on why the scammers are targeting you as a possible talktalk customer?

Message 10 of 14

Hi @Suzannah1950 

Do report the email using this advice: Report a phishing or spam email just in case it's a new example of scam emails.

If you've been unfortunate enough to be taken in by a scam email attempt then do report it to Action Fraud here and if you've lost money then report it as a crime using the link on the Action Fraud reporting page.

Message 11 of 14

I use Gmail not a Tiscali address. Deafening silence as usual from TT. My mind goes back a few years, to an incident similar to this when myself and thousands of others were sent emails quoting our names and account numbers. One step away from our bank accounts! On that occasion too, they buried their heads. Ever since then my confidence in the protection we should have, has been severely dented.

Suzannah1950
First Timer
Message 12 of 14
I've just received one too. A link takes you to what I thought was Talk talk website and they want you to fill in your bank details.
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi Andy

If the scammers have discovered your email address and see you're using a TalkTalk managed email address they'll guess you may be a customer of TalkTalk.  Did they use any personal details in said email?

Do report the email using this advice: Report a phishing or spam email just in case it's a new example of scam emails.

I don't know if I've mentioned before that you may be able to identify how your email address has become known if it's linked to a known hacking event - put the email address into the website haveibeenpwned to see what that reveals about known data breaches.

0 Likes