email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security certificate errors on sending email

PMAPonline
Chat Champion
Message 3 of 3

I am having certificate failures on sending email. I had this problem last Monday, then it went away, now it's back.

I am using a tiscali address and smpt.tiscali.co.uk.  I run Thunderbird on Windows 7. The error message Thunderbird gives is "The site attempts to idetify itself with invalid information. Wrong Site. The certificate belongs to a different site, which could mean someone is trying to impersonate the site."

Please Talktalk, fix this problem.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Message 1 of 3

I'm seeing this issue now on 2 separate mail clients (apple on iPhone & MS Outlook on a PC), both connected to my TalkTalk broadband service.

Both reporting that the certificate on the mail server (smtp.toscali.co.uk) is invalid because the name on the cert does not match that of the server (its assigned to mx.tiscali.co.uk & does not mention any additional names as I expect it should). This cert only became valid on the 16th April 2018, so my guess is its a failed renewal.

Note: I switched my iPhone's WiFi connection off, so it connected via my phone provider (not TalkTalk) & my backlog of emails from this device were sent imediately, whilst me PC is still failing.

I've attempted to report this to TalkTalk, via the chat service on their iPhone app & after a bunch of pointless questions suggesting the issue was at my end & ignoring the fact that I'd answered the same questions about 3-4 messages back, they simply stopped responding to me. Then 50 minutes later they he asked if I was able to log on to webmail (Arrrgghhh).

After I pointed out that I'm not using webmail, I got the "Ok, I need to inform you at this point that we offer very limited support for emai programs ... " & again an attempt to ask for some basic email client config questions.

I'm feeling depressed ... 😞

0 Likes

PMAPonline
Chat Champion
Message 2 of 3

Two hours later the problem has gone away. Pleased about this.

But, Talktalk, there is obviously an intermittant problem - perhaps one of the servers making up the SMTP facility for tiscali has a bad certificate.

Please  raise this as a continuing problem with whoever runs your email.

0 Likes