Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Send Email failure

8 REPLIES 8
pjm999
Participant

For three days send email has been erratic and intermitent. My Outlook client keeps getting a failure to authenticate to the smtp server resulting in a continual "Enter Network Password" dialogue. Even when repopulating the password field the send process fails. The email account is a lineone account for which I am paying £50 a year to maintain, so poor service. I have already tried changing the account password and the webmail interface works fine.

When will this server issue get fixed?

Peter

Peter
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @pjm999 

In troubleshooting the issue have you tried a different email client like Thunderbird?

The Outlook password can get corrupted so just entering a new password is only good for the one session as the password needs to be saved to overwrite a corrupted password. Also worth adding that a weak password can trigger repeated requests for authentication so if you think the password is weak then worth considering a password upgrade.

To overcome Outlook corruption may require you to save wanted downloaded mail and then remove the mail account from Outlook, reboot and add the mail account afresh. But try the alternative email client first so you have a direct comparision.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

pjm999
Participant

Thanks for the reply. I would consider the password to be reasonably strong but amd haapy to try Thunderbird as a comparison in the first instance. Will let you know what happens

Peter

Peter
pjm999
Participant

Installed Thunderbird and had to configure maually. Send also failed because connection to smtp.tiscali.co.uk either failed to autenticate or refused the smtp connection (on port 587).

Peter

Peter
pjm999
Participant

Sorry last post not quite true, I hadn't noticed Thunderbird changed the outgoing port number. Having put that right the sending now fails due to the server connection timing out.

Peter

Peter
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Peter

Thunderbird failure to authenticate is usually because the password isn't correct or not set for Normal Password.  But if the port number isn't automatically set for 587 then the connection security might not be as specified. So, please check all the settings.

The server name is smtp.tiscali.co.uk

But if that times out when all other settings are as recommended then try the alternative of smtp.talktalk.net

Port is: 587

Username is: your full lineone email address

Authentication method is Normal Password

Connection security: STARTTLS

NB when changing servers you'll need to re-enter the password again and set the Password manager to remember that password for the new outgoing server configuration.

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

pjm999
Participant

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for your help. I didn't get Thunderbird to work, it just kept timing out on send. But anyway I went back to your second suggestion about delting the Outlook account and then creating a new one and this has worked. So once again may thanks.

Peter

Peter
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Peter

Interesting that Thunderbird didn't play nicely. It usually auto-configures and works with just entering the email address and password. But hey, thanks for taking time out to let us know the account removal and re-add to Outlook has worked. We always appreciate your feedback.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Peter, thanks for posting back to let us know that removing and reentering the details in Outlook worked is always a good bet. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.