email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server error: '453 4.1.1 Too Many Recipients (TT501)

cavedweller
Chat Champion
Message 14 of 14

Hello 

I have just become the secretary to a church organisation which has over 100 members.

I have tried to send an agenda to everyone and received the above message. When I tried to send the agenda to half the members it let all but one get through but rejected everyone in teh second half. 

And now it is rejecting even sending one email to one person...

Help how do I overcome this problem

Troglodyte
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi cavedweller 

Always useful to create a Gmail address for yourself as a backup / recovery email account.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 14
Thank you. Will try to find a different volunteer who has Gmail.
Fortunately we only meet 3 or 4 times a year.
C'est la vie
Troglodyte
0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi cavedweller 

For the next session of this particular activity I recommend using at least 3 distribution lists with recipient addresses equally spread over the 3 lists and sending spread out in hourly slots. This will enable you to achieve that emailing and leave some spare capacity in sending for your own personal emails. You shouldn't then experience any errors of the TT501 (limit on sending for an hour) or TT502 (limit on sending for 24 hours) variety.

Thanks for confirming the rate limiter did come off as anticipated.

Message 4 of 14
success. They seem to have all been sent.
Now the next challenge is have they arrived ...

@Gondola Thanks for all your sage advice as usual
Troglodyte

Message 5 of 14
Not yet ... just about to try again. I tried at 00:44 and a group with 85 let 52 through.
I left the final 33 for this morning and went to bed!
Troglodyte
0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi cavedweller 

Just following up to check that the rate limiting was released an hour after the previous successful send. And that follow up sends of two or more lists at the rate of one list per hour did successfully get through. 

Message 7 of 14
@Gondola. Thanks for the suggestion but I do use groups in outlook. Doesn't seem to make a difference.
Hopefully on this occasion I will only have to wait an hour to send the rest out...
Troglodyte
0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi cavedweller 

TalkTalk is not unique in setting sending limits for normal home email usage. The service protects against bulk mailing by spammers. TalkTalk security do not wish us to discuss or reveal actual limits that may be flexed from time to time to disrupt spammers.

If you feel that the sending limitations of a residential email service, such as that offered by TalkTalk Mail, are not suitable for you or your recipients then there are providers of commercial mail services that are designed for bulk mailing.

'cavedweller' wrote: So you are telling me that if I want to send to 200 people I should do 50 every hour and let a simple task like sending minutes of meetings take me 3 hours elapsed

If you wish to send to 200 recipients in one go then TalkTalk Mail is not for you.

I think you'll find that free mail services like Gmail will allow up to 500 recipients to be sent mail messages in any 24 hour period.  Again a typical daily send limit, applied also by TalkTalk Mail, to limit the effect of spammers.

Message 9 of 14
Well I just never thought I was a business user.
Looks like Gmail allows up to 500 so maybe I will try them

Troglodyte
0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

@Gondola Would using groups in Outlook be a workround at all?

Message 11 of 14

Whoa! This is standard fare with individual email accounts. You could pay for a business level domain and email service if you prefer. 

Message 12 of 14
So you are telling me that if I want to send to 200 people I should do 50 every hour and let a simple task like sending minutes of meetings take me 3 hours elapsed!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there really no way that I can do this. I am using outlook not talktalk mail.
I think I may have to resign my voluntary role and pass it to someone who uses a decent email system.
Troglodyte
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi @cavedweller 

Your mail sending has been temporarily stopped because of sending to too many recipients over the previous hour. The fix is to wait a full hour before trying again.

Split up your mailing list into smaller groups. Spread out sending so you're not sending to all in the same hour. Wait an hour between sending to each list. 

Follow that and spam protection will not be triggered.