email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up email on phone - I'm going round in cirlces - please send help

beanwalls
Participant
Message 19 of 19

I've just moved to talktalk and wanted to adjust my personal email address on my phone to use the talktalk server to send and receive emails. I've done this previously with PlusNet and BT...

After lots of cursing I got it working on my MacBook Pro email ( POP3 on Thunderbird) but can't quite figure out what I am doing wrong on my iPhone (happy to go with POP3 again or IMAP) and it just keeps saying "The sender address was invalid".

It's a domain I own and I set up email forwarding on the domain site. I've changed that to the talktalk server and it's now working as it should on my computer, but no matter what I do the phone won't play nicely. I bet I've just not quite got the right combination of port numbers and SSL settings etc and just keep going round in circles.

Please send help!

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Simple bot answer is good customer service. i.e. people there to help you with registration and setting up the transfer of domain / email hosting correctly.

Have a look at Zoho's domain verification and setup information. You'll see that it's not exactly 'easy'.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 19

Wow, the Gondola bot is amazing. So realisitc. Very impressive. 

And ok - so how do I know what counts as good or bad hosting service? 

I've had the domain with 123 reg for a long time. And I can't remember why I went with them. Now when I search for best email hosting they aren't listed - but Zoho Mail comes up often as a good basic service with 5gb of storage for each address on it's most basic account, which seems to be 80p a month and not limited to just the first year. 

Can I just move my domain to them and keep it simple by doing all with Zoho Mail? I couldn't see a domain hosting option though - so does that mean that some companies just do email and others like 123 reg do both? 

And if I use both, you're saying it might be a faff to connect them up -- but there's no reason why it wouldn't work perfectly well once that's set up? So they won't have issue if I forward my domain name email address to them?? Is that how it would work??

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Just checking. I couldn't tell!

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

Ady is a real person.

Gondola is the bot...a volunteer offering advice to help and guide Community members!

So here's the best bot reply I can come up with.

Yes you can separate domain registration from website and or email hosting but you may need to get help to make sure the records are all in place linking each together.

Each internet connected device has an Internet Protocol (IP) address to identify it. A mail server that sends mail has an IP address.

A shared mail server for a hosting service is where Bob the builder has an email address and sends mail via the same server as Dan the decorator even though the email address is quite different. But if Percy the pie maker has their email hacked and it's used to send spam or if Sid the scammer buys a personal domain and these use the same shared outgoing server then the IP address of the server could get blacklisted.

A good hosting service would have active email admins keeping the server reputation high and not blacklisted. A good hosting service would have anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-spam looking after the outgoing mail and ideally multiple outgoing mail senders to spread the risk.

Message 5 of 19

No Ady isn't a bot. Ady is supporting the member who is supporting you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

Also - is Ady a bot?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Yeah I saw that too - my concern was that the basic email hosting only has 500mb storage, which doesn't sound like a lot. To be honest, I have no idea what a good amount of storage would be or how I would need... but another I found that seemed good and has more storage is Zoho Mail. It's got good reviews, more storage on the basic account, and is cheaper per month. I'll happily pay up to £24 a year to make this all easier. 

I have the 123 reg domain paid for until 2023, can I have email set up with somebody else and have them play nicely together?

I wish I knew what you meant when you talk about IP address and "shared sender" but I haven't a clue - can you explain what that means? I have no idea how any of this stuff works. 

This is all so helpful though - and something I should have got my head around already. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Gondola's advice as always is good. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 9 of 19

Hi beanwalls 

I see that the reg-123 pricing for a basic email mailbox is £1.99 a month after the 99p a month offer period expires. Seems quite reasonable. Configured via your account control panel.

The more you have to pay for a hosting service basic mailbox, the better, in my opinion.

Why? Because the downside to mail hosting is that the sending IP address is shared across multiple users. It only take one spammer using that shared sender to get the IP address blacklisted. So, the email admins need to be on the ball to get a server delisted from any blacklist. Also, the bigger the hosting service the more servers and IP addresses they can afford to deploy.

Message 10 of 19

Thanks @Gondola  - that's a good point. I don't think I have it though, I've only ever paid a very basic amount every 3-5 years for the domain and I think I just get free email forwarding. According to their site, it seems email hosting is a monthly cost and I'm definitely not paying for that. 

This is what I use:

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/email/email-forwarding-explained/

But I'm thinking that I should perhaps actually pay for email hosting. I don't have a clue where to start though. I literally need just one email address and I don't do anything with the domain, it's just there to make my one email address personal. There are hundreds of companies offering email hosting for quite a lot per year and I just need something really simple. I'll only ever need the one email - I have gmail accounts etc for online shopping etc and a work email supplied by my employer.

Up until now I've had IMAP on my phone and then POP3 on my computer - so every email is downloaded from the server to my computer when I check the emails there. This (I think - but I don't know much about this) means I don't need huge amounts of online storage if I pay for email, so should be able to keep it cheaper.

Any advice? Best companies to go for? And can I take my domain name with me now or do I need to wait until the end of a contract with 123-reg?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

Hi beanwalls 

I'm sure you'll be paying for email domain hosting with reg-123.  But if you don't try the settings I've given you and follow their instructions how will you know?

A port 25 connection to the smtp.talktalk.net server is usually not connected. It's definitely dropped from an external network connection although for legacy reasons it might not be currently dropped from an on-net connection. You wouldn't be able to connect your mobile via the mobile network so that would only work when at home via your router wi-fi. A bit pointless therefore using the talktalk smtp server for a personal domain if you need mobile access when away from home.

However, using unencrypted mail is never recommended because the mail including content and password are capable of being intercepted and captured between your device and the server. That's entirely your risk.  I know i wouldn't run the risk.

Message 12 of 19

Thanks for this. But I'm not sure I can use 123 reg settings. I never have before and I don't think I pay to be able to...

What I have on my email that's allowing me to send from my personal email via talktalk is:

server name: smtp.talktalk.net

port: 25

connection security: none

authentication method: password, transmitted insecurely

username: my talktalk email address

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Hi beanwalls, Gondola will help you get this sorted. 

Please let us know if you need more help. 

Ady

Message 14 of 19

Probably the reason that you got mail working with Plusnet is that Plusnet allows (or used to allow) relaying of mail messages.  TalkTalk does not permit relaying.  You'll probably get a TT403 send error.

Heads up that the SPF file for your email will specify the 123-reg mail server as the permitted server. The SPF file will usually allow other servers but if it does then mail sent from any other server will be more likely to be identified with spam and if not rejected then often deferred for spam scanning and hence suffering delayed delivery.

Message 15 of 19

So, what have you got set on your computer in terms of the outgoing server host name, port number and encryption connection security and authentication?

The 123-reg setup instructions are here.

When starting to Add the email account to the mobile Email app:

• You select Other and Enter your email address and NEXT
  • Select Personal (IMAP) account and NEXT
  • Enter the password

Then these are the Incoming and Outgoing server settings for your 123-reg email account. You'll possibly need to edit the mail server names.

Account Type  IMAP
Username Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server imap.123-reg.co.uk
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security Type SSL/TLS or Use SSL
Outgoing SMTP server smtp.123-reg.co.uk
Outgoing Port 465
Outgoing Security Type SSL/TLS or Use SSL
Require sign-in Yes

Use SSL is a toggle switch that's green when toggled on.

Let us know if that's good.

Message 16 of 19

Ps. As I've said, I've got it working on my computer email. I just need to figure it out for my phone. Any advice most welcome.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 19

I've heard that sort of thing before, but there has also always been a way around it. I'd be very surprised (and annoyed as TalkTalk not allowing this will cost me a lot of money I'd think and I wouldn't have signed up with them if I'd known this would be an issue as it's a dealbreaker for me). I've previously found a way with BT and PlusNet in the last few years (and got told it wouldn't work with both of them) so I hope the TalkTalk set up isn't any different. 

The domain is registered with 123-reg but I have no website or anything like that, I just pay to own the domain name and then use 123-reg to forward emails to the email addresses I've set up through whichever internet service I am currently with. It's worked well for many years.

Does anyone have a work around for this problem?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 18 of 19

Hi @beanwalls 

The TalkTalk outgoing SMTP servers will not authenticate the sending of personal domain emails. The servers must be authenticated with a TalkTalk Mail email address and its password.

You need to use the personal domain hosting service SMTP servers to send your personal domain mail messages.

What's the domain name? OR mail hosting service?  For example 1&1 or eUKhost or similar?