email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smtp server failure

DokTreesh
Chatterbox
Message 15 of 15

Suddenly, my 3rd party smtp from 123-reg has stopped working on my iPhone - both on wifi and on 4g. 

123-reg say there’s no problem their end, settings correct, my isp - talktalk - has blocked the server.
Talktalk say they haven’t blocked the server and they don’t support apps or email clients that aren’t Talktalk.  

I've tried:

1. Taking email account off and on again

2. changing port numbers

3. using smtp.talktalk.net

4. Using my mobile provider smtp (o2)

5. Turning the phone off and on again
6. turning the router off and on again 

7. re-inputting my username and password on the outgoing server settings. 

Nothing works and none of the providers are taking responsibility. 

I can receive emails and I can send if I use webmail. 

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi DokTreesh, thanks for marking Gondola's post as the best answer as it will help others find the fix more quickly.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 15

Great support as always from Gondola. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 3 of 15

OK, I wasn't questioning @Gondola's unimpeachable advice, I just wasn't sure whether you had acted on that point, thanks for clearing it up.  

Message 4 of 15

Yes, one of the first things I did.

I also deleted the Apple mail app, as Gondola suggested, then downloaded it again. Unfortunately, smtp still failed. So, deffo an Apple mail app problem. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

@DokTreesh Just to clarify, have you tried removing the account from the Apple Mail app and then re-adding it, rebooting the phone as you go? 

Message 6 of 15

No worries.

Thanks for the feedback. Most appreciated.  Yes Sunday! But it's raining so I'm dashing in and out of the rain getting work done.

You've marked up your own post so if you wish to undo that there's three vertical dots and a drop down menu top right of your post.

Stay safe.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 7 of 15

Gondola,

You have been amazing. Your support stopped me stressing as I trusted you were on the case and knew what you were doing. And on a Sunday. 

THANK YOU!!!!

I think I’ve clicked on your reply as a best reply, but let me know if I’ve done something wrong!

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Hi DokTreesh 

Excellent news about the Gmail app setup working to access the 123-reg email account. 

At least that proves the connection is there via your TalkTalk broadband and home router Wi-Fi so we can rule out troubleshooting on anything other than your iPhone apple Mail software.

There's clearly a glitch somewhere that's impacting the Apple Mail app. You've done all the normal troubleshooting of removing and re-adding the email account / repowering the phone etc.

The next logical step would be to reinstall the software. On some versions of the OS the mail app can be uninstalled and downloaded afresh from the app store and on others the entire OS requires re-installation. So not a straightforward task.

You may wish to get advice from Apple Support.

Message 9 of 15

Hi Gondola,

it was a screenshot from yesterday, so my phone is charged today 🙂

No new software added. 

I already had the gmail app for a different account. Set up the 123-reg as you suggested and it works 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻  You are a genius!!!

so, does that mean the problem is with my Apple mail app?  And can it be fixed?

Message 10 of 15

Your mobile needs charging as the battery is low. So, better do that before proceeding.  Wait until you have 100% battery.

The settings are good. The connection to the outgoing server is obviously there but not reliable. Powering off the iPhone and re-powering would normally give a fix or removing the email account, powering off the iPhone, powering and adding the account again. There's obviously a glitch somewhere.

Did you add any new software in the last few days that might be interacting with the email?

Download the gMail app and try setting up the account on that. I find the gMail app is reliable in setting up and it will check the setup as you go.  Same settings as I've given you for the outgoing server settings

The incoming server host name is imap.123-reg.co.uk port 993 Use SSL.

Message 11 of 15

Hi Gondola,

speed was 16mps

using standard appple iPhone Mail app

i haven’t installed any security software, so if there is any on my iPhone, it was there when I bought it new

screenshot of error message attached. 

by the way, when I turned my router on and off, it allowed me to send one message only ( I did a test) then back to failure. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

The email settings are correct. What speed did fast.com report?

When attempting to send mail what error message do you get?

And it's the standard email app on the iPhone? What Internet Security software is installed?

Message 13 of 15

Thank you, Gondola. 

I did all of that. Still no joy. Here’s the screenshot. 

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

Hi @DokTreesh 

Power off the iPhone, repower and pause any Internet security like Kaspersky, Avast, Norton etc then switch off mobile data and check your connection speed via an Internet browser and keying in fast.com to the address bar. What's your Internet speed?

The 123-reg smtp server appears to be up and running.

Host name for the Outgoing SMTP Server: smtp.123-reg.co.uk

Username: your personal email address hosted by 123-reg

Password: your personal email address password

Authentication: Password

Select Use SSL
Server Port: 465

If these aren't your outgoing server settings or if they don't work when you've checked that Internet security is paused, you do have an Internet connection to your iPhone via Wi-Fi and mobile data is switched off then take a screenshot of the settings, image edit to obscure the email address and upload here so I can see what you see.