email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft bounces

idhirst
First Timer
Message 10 of 10

I have received a message from one of our email subscribers with a tiscali email address to say that they have not been receiving emails from us since mid-April. I have checked our records and seen a 'soft bounce' response message on a couple of the emails we have sent but many more where there has been no soft bounce at all. The subscriber has checked their spam and trash folders and cannot see the emails we have been sending. Can anyone from TT assist? I see @OCE_Andy has helped with similar cases on the forum?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi idhirst, it seems we've been receiving plenty mail from your domain and it's being delivered normally. We've seen 1 mail to 1 recipient blocked and 1 deferred. 

If you see lots more please let us know and if necessary we can raise a fault ticket to have it investigated further. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

I've passed this over to be checked on our system.

I'll be back.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Yes, TT staff will respond. I've pushed the topic into their workflow.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 10
Thanks for that tip, I will enquire with our email provider. Will TalkTalk pick this one up in due course?
0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Hi idhirst 

The dates don't appear to coincide with known server issues for the tiscali domain and suggests to me that the inbound mail messages are being deferred for scanning and then that's timing out.

TalkTalk's spam filtering is certainly being more agressive with inbound mail. However the only issue I can see is that the DMARC policy is not enabled for the originating domain. A fully enabled DMARC policy would help to avoid mail being selected and deferred for scanning.

TalkTalk will be able to look at the Cloudmark logs to identify why the mail isn't being delivered and then advise further.

Message 6 of 10

Sorry, didn't realise you don't have access to the private notes box. Here's the redacted info:

Here are the details of the bounce backs for one of our subscribers registered with a tiscali email address:

Sending email: xxx.gov-email.uk
First bounce back message:
Reporting:m4-17.gov-email.uk
Virtual:mta4-17-gov-email
Fri, 23 Apr 2021 11:25:45 +0100
To:xxx.xxx@tiscali.co.uk
Action: failed
X-PowerMTA-BounceCategory: message-expired

Second bounce back message:
Reporting:m4-17.gov-email.uk
Virtual:mta4-17-gov-email
Fri, 7 May 2021 13:13:26 +0100
To:xxx.xxx@tiscali.co.uk
Action: failed
X-PowerMTA-BounceCategory: message-expired

We have since sent a further 5 emails which have not returned a bounce message but the recipient has not received either.

We have a further 19 subscribers with tiscali email addresses showing a similar pattern. Emails received ok up to 16th April, then a few soft bounce messages, then none received by the subscriber thereafter.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

I assume it's just the one recipient? So unlikely that TalkTalk are network blocking an UK.gov email address. More likely that the recipient mailbox is rejecting the mail messages. 

If you provide the soft bounce information here in the redacted form as requested then I can advise further. 

Otherwise feel free to wait for TalkTalk to pick up this topic from their workflow. 

Message 8 of 10

Thanks, I work for a local council sending weekly email updates to local residents. I have added as much information as I have into the private notes box in my profile. 

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hi @idhirst 

What's the sender's email domain and the originating email domain? The full bounce-back error, redacted to obscure the local part of the recipient's email address but including the TT error code, ESMTP code and description would help to identify the cause. 

Put your full details in your Community profile and in the Private notes box the relevant email addresses for originator, sender and recipient and time and date of the last fail to deliver.