email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Filter

TomDonaldson1
Team Player
Message 41 of 41

Since the launch of the new webmail the facility to set the filter to block unwanted email addresses seems to be lost.

Also some of my favoured email contacts are being diverted to spam.

Can the blocked filter be accessed by a user and is there any way I can reset the filter to accept emails from a safe source.

40 REPLIES 40

Message 21 of 41

Hi @jpcoh1 

I see that OCE_Ady is seeing if there's knowledge of why spam may have increased recently.

One possibility is that the Cloudmark filters have been reset if too many false positives have been seen. i.e. the fingerprinting of spam has included genuine emails marked by people as spam instead of opting out of those previously requested emails. On the classic Webmail platform marking as spam got an instant personal block via the Blocked Senders Filter for no longer wanted emails. That 'lazy' approach by some email users may have got some senders inadvertently blocked. 

Now, marking as spam does not add a sender's address to the personal Blocked Senders Filter. It's important that only true spam is marked as spam in order to stop the spam and keep the ham. Genuine wanted emails will pass the spam fingerprinting.

I recall seeing in December 2018 a prediction that cybercriminals would co-operate even more in 2019 to ramp up targeted attacks.  Such attacks would be on known email addreses shared by the cybercriminals.  If you've been spammed in the past then your email address could have been shared more widely. Check your email address against the known hack lists at haveibeenpwned.

I don't get spam and I haven't had any to my talktalk.net email addresses. I think that's cleared up any suspicion for me that there might be link between spam and migration of email accounts to the new platform.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 22 of 41

I am interested to see that others are having similar problems. There is a slight difference in my case because, apart from a sudden and large increase in unfiltered spam which I can at least deal with by deleting it when it downloads into MS Outlook on my desktop PC, I am not even seeing the genuine messages incorrectly designated as spam by TT which do not even arrive at my desk. I am happy to control the process just so long as I can receive everything addressed to me. Does anyone at TT have a view as to how I can achieve this? Of course, getting rid of "lovely ladies" and "bitcoin" which are so obviously Spam would be an improvement so long as I don't lose real genuine messages that I want to receive.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 41

I am experiencing exactly the same problems.  I have not posted again as nothing gets done or explained correctly.  I followed the instructions and there is no list of blocked senders and I cannot add to this list so have to delete and then constantly delete all emails in my trash folder.  Anything going into my junk folder is from my previous requests to block the sender: I cannot enter any new senders.  But even so, when i delete the junk folder they only go to my deleted folder so I just delete them all myself.  Talk Talk is condescending, patronising and do not understand the problems of users.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 41

Thank you.  I am sorry that you are suffering the same as I am.  I cannot add any new Emails to spam and I am being bombarded since the change.  Russian female lovelies, Asian lovelies, bitcoin - to name just 3.  I am so sick of it and seriously thinking of stopping using my talk talk Email.

Broxman
First Timer
Message 25 of 41

This is an absolute disgrace that Talk Talk have changed something that was fine before and now after the change we are being bombarded with spam and nothing seems to be getting done about it!

jpcoh1
Popular Poster
Message 26 of 41

I have tried the suggestions in the last post as emails I wish to receive are being treated as spam, and spam is not being forwarded to my desktop client (MS Outlook). However, I cannot see a Blocked Sender list in Filters. How do I modify the Spam filter to accept this or other senders? Better still, can I modify Webmail so that when I download messages to my desktop PC using POP3, then all incoming messages, including those identified by TT as spam, will be downloaded? I can then do my filtering on my desktop PC. At the moment, a lot of obviously Spam emails are coming through to my desktop and picked up as such at that time.

Message 27 of 41

I have tried to follow these instructions.  One thing is the option is Email not mail.  When I open up the Blocked Senders list there are no names there at all.  This will explain why I repeatedly get unwanted Emails from those I have blocked.  I don't understand how I am supposed to change a rule, and if I did understand it, to what rule would I change this?

0 Likes

Message 28 of 41

This is my experience too.  I hope it is resolved.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 41

Hi @td123 

In the Spam folder content can be Deleted in which case it goes to Trash. You can, of course, Empty (the) Trash.

In the Spam folder content can be marked as Not spam in which case it goes to the Inbox. But note that Filter rules will not apply.

But does the platform also report the Not spam / Ham to the Spam TalkTalk address and hence remove the email address and content from the Cloudmark spam analysis engine? 

The platform is certainly capable of reporting Spam / Ham but does the reporting of Ham get past the Spam TalkTalk address to Cloudmark?

0 Likes

Message 30 of 41

And what is the situation regarding deleting from the Spam folder. Currently when I opt to empty the spam folder the content is returned to the trash folder, with the option to re-mark as spam.

0 Likes

Message 31 of 41

Hi Ady

What's the customer process for querying the status of the TalkTalk block filters or unblocking the TalkTalk block filters?  For example, when an address is marked as spam and blocked in error.

Does marking as Not spam also email the Spam TalkTalk address and remove the email and its content from the Block filters?

0 Likes

Message 32 of 41

Hi all, here's the reply I've had from OX.

"The expected behavior of the Mark as spam button is:

1. The user selects an email.
  2. The User clicks on "Mark as spam" and then:
    1. Mail is moved to the "Spam" folder
    2. Mail is sent to the reporting Spam TalkTalk address and this will automatically update the block filters."

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 33 of 41

Hi @td123 

I've pushed in a chaser to the OCE workflow. 

The unxplained issue is that marking an email as Spam does not create a Blocked Senders Filter or make any change to an existing Blocked Senders Filter. 

0 Likes

Message 34 of 41

Can this be chased up please

Message 35 of 41

I've dropped a mail to the platform vendor to ask for clarification. I'll post back when I get a reply for you. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 41

Hi Tom

There should be multiple conditions and each one has a dustbin (delete) icon to the right to select to remove that condition and then Save the amended Filter Rule.

Message 37 of 41

I note that in the new version the spam button moves the item to trash but does not update the blocked filters.

On the old platform you could edit and if necessary remove items from the blocked filters. This was particularly useful if you inadvertantly marked a message as spam. You could remove the block.

However when I try to edit the existing blocked filters list there is no facility to scroll through the list as before and allow me to restore previously blocked address. 

When will this facility be restored or updated to give edit access to the Blocked filter list

0 Likes

Message 38 of 41

Hi @td123 @TomDonaldson1 

I've referred this back to OCE_Ady to get a definitive statement from the project team.

In the old Classic Webmail I marked something as Spam, the email was moved to the Trash folder and the Blocked Sender's Filter was updated to block the sender.

In new TalkTalk Mail I mark a sender as Spam and the only (useful?) thing that happens locally in the mailbox is the email gets moved to the Spam Folder.

The Blocked Senders Filter doesn't get created or amended. More emails from the same sender just appear in the Inbox. 

The marking of emails as spam may now be linked only to the global Cloudmark spam detection filtering. There is a statement in the Troubleshooting section of Help that says "When you mark emails as spam our system learns what messages you don’t want to see."  It's obviously not having an obvious immediate effect upon emails from the same sender.

I don't know if Spam and Trash folders are supposed to be emptied after 30 days or only when the customer actions a Delete all messages / Empty trash using the triple line menu icon and selecting from the drop-down list for each folder.

If you wish to reject emails from a specific sender or senders then it looks like you'll need to set up your own 'Blacklist' filter. And to accept only emails from recipients in your Address Book contacts, set up a 'Whitelist' filter. According to the FAQ there should be a "Blacklist" setting in Email Settings...but that's another thing not there in this launch version of TalkTalk Mail.

Message 39 of 41

I have a @Tiscali.co.uk email address. In the old mailbox if I marked something as spam it went to the Trash folder and could be deleted manually from there. In the new mailbox if I "mark as spam" it goes to the Spam folder, but if I try and delete from there it goes back toTrash with the option to mark it as spam again. What is the score with the new Spam folder - will it be automatically emptied after say 30 days or will I have to delete them from trash, but unmarked as spam?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 40 of 41

Hi Tom

The Spam marking and Filtering is still there and if the Blocked Sender's Filter was there in your previous email usage then it will have been carried over.

Actions on emails 1 - Select an email

To mark an email as Spam just select the email and select Mark as Spam.  New spam will be directed to the Spam folder but your original Blocked Sender's Filter may be set up as before to direct to Trash.  Worth checking that and sending spam to your preferred folder.

To remove wanted email addresses from the Blocked Sender's Filter:

• Login to the new TalkTalk Mail
  • Select the Menu option      top right
    (triple line hamburger icon or cog icon for mobile)
  • Then Settings in the drop down menu
  • Then in the left panel Mail then Filter Rules
  • On the Blocked Sender's Filter line select Edit
  • Select the dustbin icon for the email address to delete
  • Confirm Deletion - Select Save

0 Likes