email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam problems

chevvies
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 11

I have had/used a onetel.com email address for about 15 years. Recently I have had about 2000 spam emails, in talktalk mail inbox I keep ‘marking them as spam’ but they still get through, about 100 a day, I’ve had to delete the mail setting from other devices so I can no longer use them for receiving/sending mail. Should I change my email address?
Thanks.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi chevvies, you need to send me a PM with the last 4 digits of your regular payment method. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi chevvies, I've sent you a personal message to ge more information.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 3 of 11

Thanks Ady, I've done that, I hope :).

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi chevvies, if you add the email address that you believe is yours to private notes in your community profile I'll take a look. What I can tell you is limited by GDPR, but let's see what we can see first. 

Ady

Message 5 of 11

Hi chevvies

If you successfully created a talktalk.net address and mailbox then it would be listed in your customer MyAccount in the My Mailboxes list.

If it's not in the current MyAccount, might it be in a former MyAccount if you left and rejoined TalkTalk?

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 6 of 11

Thanks Ady,

I was originally with onetel, then they were taken over by talktalk some years ago, at which time I'm sure I created a talktalk.net email address, but when trying to use this email address I got warnings that it was already taken.  I tried using the online 'chat' facility but they said they were not able to tell me if this was the case.

Could it be taken by myself?  (I entered the wrong password having not used it for a long while).

In the meantime I'm using a gmail.com address for my devices but keeping an eye on the onetel.com address via my talktalk mail account in case anything gets through that I need, I'm still getting about 150 spam emails a day, even though I mark them as such.  I'm not sure how or why someone somewhere would want to spend time doing this kind of malaise.  Baffling.

Message 7 of 11

Hi chevvies, Gondola's advice is good. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Message 8 of 11

If you're a TalkTalk Consumer customer and have registered a customer MyAccount then that is where you would permanently delete the onetel email address and create an email address with the talktalk.net domain. 

Managing your email in My Account 

But you may wish to create an email address that is not linked to any Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Your choice really.

chevvies
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 11

Thanks, that's what I thought.  What would be the best way to change it?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

I'll offer you a pragmatic answer which is yes.

The reason for agreeing to deletion is that once spammers and scammers know your email address they will relentlessly target you.  So, if you don't use the email address for too many contacts / logins and it's easy enough to inform your contacts / change those logins then starting afresh is a positive move.

You might like to enter the onetel email address at the website haveibeenpwned.com to identify known data breaches involving your email address. This may help to find out how the spammers found the active address.