email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam

bridgetathome
Chat Champion
Message 34 of 34

Why am I suddenly getting dozens of spam emails in my box everyday? Is there anything I can do to stop them?

bridgetathome
0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

bridgetathome
Chat Champion
Message 21 of 34

I thought the problem of excessive Spam had been dealt with; but I am back to putting over 20 Spam emails in my Block Sender box before I can read my genuine emails.

bridgetathome

Message 22 of 34

@Karl-TalkTalk

@Ady-TalkTalk

Guys,

Please will you have a look at the other threads on this subject, particularly

Subject: Re: inundated with spam email from tamll.com 

which runs to about 18 pages now. 

Incidently, I can't find the Action/View Source etc stuff in Outlook.  Maybe your advice relates to webmail.  I have found a lot of data that I assume is the same by right clicking on the email line in my Junk folder, and selecting the bottom item: Options.  This shows plenty of info, and reveals that the sender info visible in the Junk folder is totally unrelated to the real sender source. The advantage of this method is that it does not require the mail to be openned so reducing the chance of mail address validation back to the spammer.

I have sent a package of such info to abuse.ttb@talktalkplc.com relating to one of today's 6 or 7 dozen spams.

Finally, is there any chance that we are receiving all this ordure because our identities were ripped-off in earlier Cyber Attacks?

Message 23 of 34

I've also been getting 40-50 'cisco.com' emails daily for weeks.  Prior to cisco it was 'test.de'  Since May I've had almost 4000 spam emails.  I use the email client on my macbook and only ever have to mark one email as spam for the domain never to appear again.  Why can't Talktalk's filter (if one exists) do the same?

I only check the talktalk email occasionally and spend 30 minutes or so moving 5 or 6 days of spam into the spam folder.  I'm at my wit's end with this issue.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 34

Hi,

Which domains are the spam emails coming from, the bit after the @

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 25 of 34

I have tried both posting messages and sending private emails with email addresses inserted.  Unfortunately the Talktalk system deletes every email address and replaces them with rubbish.  I am beginning to suspect that this is why Talktalk are not doing anything useful about spam.  Unless someone out there can tell me different.

Incidentally, thanks to Scott5 for giving me information about how to copy the header detail of the spam emails without having to open them.  But as you can see, I am still unable to pass the information on.  Have I missed something in your guidelines because even without spaces anything that looks like an email address gets trashed when posted.

So OCE_Ady, can you tell me how to send you the full email addresses?

0 Likes

Message 26 of 34

Hi all, I've raised th cisco.com spam issue. Please post the full mail addresses that are spamming you so that I can pass them on.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 34

What is bothering me now is about 50 spam emails from "various"@cisco.com.  I reported this yesterday or the day before.  Google are on top of it straight away rejecting all my tiscali spam emails, including all from @cisco.com, that have been forwarded without missing one.  Tiscali/ Talktalk however are still behind the curve. I am still getting emails from @cisco.com - 38 since midday today.  Why haven't these been stopped already. If Google can do it why not Talktalk/ Tiscali.

On another issue, Scott5 advises that I should copy OCE_Ady's email address and use it to forward the spam email addresses copied from the spam email headers.  Unfortunately what Scott5 appears to be suggesting doesn't work because I haven't had an email from OCE_Ady so I do not have his address and it does not appear in this forum anywhere perhaps understandably.

Also when I tried to copy the email addresses from the spam emails and paste them into a forum reply, the system blocked the address texts and turned them into gobbledygook.

Am I missing something here?

Message 28 of 34

Hi all, we filter out over 85% of the emails sent to our mail servers every day. That equated to 850,000 emails when I was last supplied with figures and I know that we've seen an increase of incoming mail since. We're constantly updating and upgrading the filters to encompass more of the spam, but spammers find new ways to beat the filters on an almost hourly basis.

I have passed on your comments so that our managers can see how emotive this subject is.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 34

Thankyou, Phil. It is a comfort to know that I  am not suffering on my own. Every time I go to my email box, I have to delete 10/20 spam emails; I put them in my 'blocked messages' file.  I don't know how to change providers, so I will just have  to hope Talktalk will deal with the problem eventually.

bridgetathome
0 Likes

Message 30 of 34

Or alternatively switch to another provider who can provide effective filtering.  Advising users to use an email client that provides a spam filter is a cop out.  Talktalk should be providing the spam filter in the first place.

PhilB378
Participant
Message 31 of 34

I have re-directed all my Tiscali email to Google Mail (gmail) because many subscribers reported that Google's filters actually worked if you forwarded your emails.  The Google filters are brilliant and block all the spam emails that are forwarded from my Tiscali account.  Go to Settings in Webmail and select Mail, scroll down in the box that appears and set your account to forward emails to another sutiable email address.

Now why can Talktalk not get their act together and do the same and save everybody the bother of having to use work arounds.  Come on, Talktalk!  We are paying you for a service, how about providing one.

Sadly, one outcome of forwarding my Tiscali emails to my Google account is that, for every spam email forwarded, I now get a "mail blocked" message from Google back to my Tiscali email account.  This effectively doubles the rubbish in my inbox.  Fortunately I can set Windows Live Mail to junk all these and then all it takes is a quick check of the Junk Folder before ditching the lot.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 34

I seem to have been inundated with spam since the carphone warehouse security hacking thing.  With trepidation, I have tried to unsubscribe but seem to have made it worse.  Latest Personegg and confirmedsend suffixes. Don't Talktalk do anything to stop these? I continually report them as spam but feel I am wasting my time.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 33 of 34

Hi bridgetathome, we're working to block the mass of incoming spam. You can filter it yourself by using a mail client with a spam filter.