email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synching Tiscali Sent folder on new device via Thunderbird

Amandav
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 14

Hi

So I have a new laptop and have managed to get my tiscali email sending and receiving via Thunderbird.  My inbox has synched and downloaded all my historical emails but I can't get my Sent folder to do the same.   What am I looking for in settings to be able to see older sent mail on my new device?    If I send a new sent mail it is storing that in Sent (with arrow) box but why can't I get the older ones to come in?

thanks

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

@Gondola great work. Thanks again for all your help and support as always. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 2 of 14

Hi Amandav, thanks for posting back to let us know that Gondola helped you get this sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 3 of 14

Excellent.

I suspect the reason for the fail was the missing server name prefix in the Location properties box. But a unique case because it appeared to be just the Sent folder not synchronising.

Good to know that a fresh setup is working well. Always good to have your feedback.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 14

@Gondola 

Success!!!  Thank you so much!  It didn't work immediately I had to log in and out a few times and initially ended up with just an inbox and it kept timing out.  However I finally quit again in frustration and when I went back in it totally synched and has now downloaded everything.  I checked some send messages and they're synching with sent objects in talktalk mail too so everything is resolved.   I really appreciate your help and would never had got there without it.

Message 5 of 14

Hi Amanda

It should be picked up from the Server name. So if you go to Account settings and select Server settings in the side panel then the Server name should be imap.tiscali.co.uk.

However, the folder properties might not be updated.

So, I think you'll need to select Account Settings and then select the tiscali account and go to Account Actions at the bottom of the side panel to select Remove account. Quit Thunderbird, wait a minute, relaunch Thunderbird then add the account afresh in Account Actions and Add Mail Account.

The tiscali IMAP email settings you need are:

Account Type  IMAP
Login / Username username@tiscali.co.uk
Password tiscali email password
IMAP mail server name imap.tiscali.co.uk
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication method Normal Password
SMTP mail server name smtp.tiscali.co.uk
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication method Normal Password

Message 6 of 14

Ok thank you @Gondola .

It won't let me edit the location box - is there somewhere else I change this and then that box picks it up automatically?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Amanda

No, just keep the tiscali.co.uk as your email account has a tiscali.co.uk domain. Just check that the part after the @ symbol is prefixed by imap which seems to be missing. i.e. it should be @imap.tiscali.co.uk/Sent

Message 8 of 14

Hi @Gondola

No that's not what it's showing.

The sent location is showing as imap://****%40tiscali.co.uk@.tiscali.co.uk/Sent

Fingers crossed this might be the issue?  should I change it to the TalkTalk location you have typed?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi Amandav 

OK, that means the Sent folder in Thunderbird is not synchronised at all to the online Sent objects folder.

Right click the Sent folder in Thunderbird and in the pop-up windows that appears you should have a Location: box.

The contents should be: imap://******%40talktalk.net@imap.talktalk.net/Sent  where the asterisks represent the local part of the talktalk.net email address.  Let me know if it's anything else.

Message 10 of 14

@Gondola 

Hi thanks

So the only part of that that worked was the test message came in to my inbox and showed in my thunderbird sent folder but did not go to sent objects in Talk Talk mail. 

I tried all the other points too but still nothing. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi Amanda

Send a test message to yourself from Thunderbird. The sent message should appear in the Sent folder and the paper aeroplane'd message should land in the Inbox.  Check TalkTalk Mail webmail to see that the message does synchronise to and appear in the online mailbox Sent objects folder. That will indicate that the folders are synchronised.  Let me know if that's not the case, otherwise:

• Select the Sent folder in Thunderbird
    and right click to see the pop-up menu
  • Select the Properties menu item
    for the Folder Properties window to appear
  • Select the Synchronisation tab
  • Tick Select this folder for offline use
  • Select the Download now button

If that doesn't work to download all messages from the online Sent objects folder then:

• Select the General Information tab
  • Select the Repair folder button

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Thanks Gondola.  I know I've set all my settings to imap not pop and I have it synched on my existing laptop, so I'm not sure why it won't download.  Do you think it's something I need to check with Thunderbird rather than Talk Talk? (and I never realised it was supposed to be a paper areoplane! 🙂

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi @Amandav 

The Sent folder (with the paper aeroplane icon) should sync to the Sent objects folder that you see in TalkTalk Mail webmail so long as you've set up an IMAP email account in Thunderbird. If Thunderbird is using POP3 protocol then only the Inbox is downloaded.