Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk Email Limits

8 REPLIES 8
jerryf
Conversation Starter

Hi

Each month my partner sends out group emails to our local history society, approx 120 members.

Each multiple addressee email has approx 30 addressees ( I think the max number is 50)

In the last couple of months there have been some problems sending out these emails; the email remains in the Outbox and the TalkTalk gives an error message including smtp server  '453' error codes, error text stating that email addresses could not be resolved and Too Many Recipients.  The email client is Windows Live Mail.  When the problem occurs trying to send emails direct from webmail also fails.

The problem seems to occur after 2 emails (appprox 60 addressees) have been successfully sent and then the next and subsequent attempts fail.  Waiting an hour or so seems to clear the problem and then let group emails sent again.

Is there:

1.  A limit on the maximum number of email addressees that can be sent each day (24hrs), if so what is the limit.

2.  A limit on the number email addressees that can be sent each hour, if so what is the limit.

Many thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @jerryf 

If your distribution lists are kept to around 30 recipients and you send to one list an hour you'll stay within the normal limits for sending using a residential mail service.  These limits can be flexed to control suspected spam.  But just follow the practices you've adopted for spreading out sending and you should be perfectly ok.

The other comment I have is around the use of Windows Live Mail (WLM). The email client hasn't been supported with security upgrades from Microsoft for some long time now and I'd recommend retiring it. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

jerryf
Conversation Starter

Hi Gondola

Thanks for your response which I think confirms my suspicion that there is a 'per hour' limit on the volume of email you can send - but what is the actual limit and is there a higher level 'per day' limit?

Note your comment re Windows Live Mail and am in the process of transferring to new machine and more up to date client.

Regrettably the problem with sending email has not cleared overnight so I suspect there is some form of lock on the account now which needs to be reset.  Can receive email fine.

Is that something you can help with?  List of error message included below.

WEBMAIL TO OWN ADDRESS

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [obscured for customer security] (453 - 453 4.2.0 E7G6kC18feMEU Too Many Recipients (TT605)
)

WEBMAIL TO JUDY* ADDRESS

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [obscured for customer security] (453 - 453 4.2.0 E7GtkfA4AVzo7 Too Many Recipients (TT605)
)

WLM TO OWN ADDRESS

The message could not be sent. The setting for your outgoing email [SMTP] server might need to be configured. To find the server settings for 'obscured for customer security', please contact your email service provider.

Subject 'test'

Server Error: 453

Server Response: 453 4.1.1 E7IDkfAMuVzo7 Too Many Recipients (TT502)

Server: 'smtp.talktalk.net'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC79

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 25

Secure(SSL): No

WLM TO NON-TALKTALK ADDRESS

The message could not be sent. The setting for your outgoing email [SMTP] server might need to be configured. To find the server settings for 'obscured for customer security', please contact your email service provider.

Subject 'test test'

Server Error: 453

Server Response: 453 4.1.1 E7WJkUE8ci4jQ Too Many Recipients (TT502)

Server: 'smtp.talktalk.net'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC79

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 25

Secure(SSL): No

Gondola
Community Star

Hi jerryf 

I've obscured the email addresses from your last post to try and protect the recipients from spam.

The sending blocks are temporary and you'll have your full sending allowance restored in 24 hours and a partial allowance in the intervening time. Best to wait for 24 hours.

Of the two error messages, TT502 indicates exceeding a daily allowance for sending mail.  TT605 is usually an indicator of too many wrong or undeliverable email addresses.  This could have resulted in a retry of the distribution list sending that then racks up the recipient count fairly quickly. If the daily limit is then triggered you'll get the TT502 error and for that you'll just need time and patience - and a clean of your mail lists.

Of course if your mailbox has been compromised and someone else is using it to send spam (to blocked or incorrect addresses) then that's possible. If you think it's possible then Changing your email password is the advice to give.

The fact that you're using insecure sending from port 25 and no SSL/TLS connection security means every time you send a mail message that message and the password is available to hackers. Another reason why the early retirement of WLM is pretty urgent in my opinion.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jerryf, Gondola's advice as always is good please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

jerryf
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Ady  and @Gondola 

Email "send" now working again after waiting 24 hrs as suggested by Gondola helpful response so I presume that the daily maximum had been breached.

I had contacted TT tech support to see if they could remove the lock earlier to allow my partner to complete the email shots but the Tech Advisor I spoke with was not aware of any hourly/daily limits and had to refer the problem to the next level - bit disappointing.

As we didn't have this difficulty until recently I am left wondering if the server limits have been changed as a result of lockdown and many people working from home. 

I am still waiting for confirmation of what the various email maximum limits are so that we can definitely avoid the problem in the future so will follow Gondola's advice for now.

Many thanks

Jerry

OCE_Ady

Hi Jerry, I'm afraid the limits are kept quiet as if we post the information all over the web the spammers will benefit from knowing how to avoid the triggers and this will allow them to spam away. That in turn will result in sending from genuine customers being blocked by other ISPs due to the amount of spam going out from the network. 

The answer is that frontline cannot remove the sending limits nor can I or my colleagues in support anywhere in the business. If you find that you need to send many emails daily you may need to look to a business product that will have more customer configurable system. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

jerryf
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Ady ( and @Gondola )

Thanks for the update.  I suspected that there might be some sensitivity about the numbers.

As the need to send out group emails to our local history group is only once a month it would be difficult to justify upgrading to a business product so will stick with the advice provided by Gondola

Thanks to both of you for advice and feed back.

Regards

Jerry

OCE_Ady

Thanks for your understanding Jerry. Maybe just split the sending of the biggest mailer lists. 

Ady