email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talktalk email accounts (3) Inboxes empty - hotmail and gmail ok

neilpeacock01
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 16

Talktalk inboxes empty (trash / spam already removed) on webmail / Apple Mail / Gmail / Outlook sent and deleted messages ok

Technical help line cannot assist - I see that some repairs have been carried out on some mail boxes - HELP

Neil Peacock
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi neilpeacock01, at least you've got to the bottom of the problem. Thanks for posting back to let us know. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Hi Neil

The desktop version of Gmail does have an Archive feature. Selecting Archive will simply hide emails from Gmail's Unified Inbox. It will not delete emails from the TalkTalk Mailbox.

To recover those emails you'll find them in Gmail's All Mail under the Main menu. Inbox emails will be labelled Inbox but Archived emails will not be labelled.  If you select the Archived emails you'll see the action icons appear but the Archive icon is greyed out and the Move to Inbox is present.

I'm assuming the "All back!" message means you've now recovered all wanted emails to their respective Inboxes.  In which case well done.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Now back  !

Neil Peacock
0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Gondola

Just spoke to google and its my fault ! was marking all emails as read and did this but somehow archived as well which removed them from talktalk webmail  -appreciate your help !

Neil Peacock

Message 5 of 16

Andy

Just spoke to google and its my fault ! was marking all emails as read and did this but somehow archived as well which removed them from talktalk webmail  -appreciate your help !

Neil Peacock
0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Andy

. done as requested

Neil Peacock
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 16

Hi Neil, as soon as I raise this they'll push back making me double check that you definitely don't have anything setup collecting the mail using POP3 and they'll ask me to check you haven't got any mail filters set up, they also want to know when the mail was last there. If you can confirm the answers I can get the ticket raised. 

I need you to add all three email addresses to private notes and I need a landline number in order to raise the ticket for you. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi Neil

I think that's confirmed the emails aren't hiding in Trash or a sub-folder and, unless there's an unusual corruption of all 3 mailboxes, that TalkTalk can check for you, I'd say the emails aren't there. 

You can send emails to the talktalk email addresses to see if they accept and retain emails in the Inbox. But if one of the email clients is set for deletion from the Inbox after a specific time then it might not be immediately apparent that the Inbox emails are being deleted.

To troubleshoot, what I'd do is change the passwords for all 3 email accounts. Then you're in total control of the devices (and people) connecting to the mailbox. Start by using just webmail and check each device settings Email settings - IMAP before changing the sign in password for that device.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Completed hardly any data used in all accounts 

Neil Peacock
0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi Neil

OK, check your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, address, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and add the TalkTalk.net email addresses to Private notes and save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will pick up from here.

Just confirm you've signed in to TalkTalk Mail via the Webmail sign in and let us know what the Mail Quota is (bottom left of the screen) for each email address but don't reveal the actual addresses in this forum.

If the emails are in the Inbox the quota ought to be near the 10GB capacity.

Mail quota.png

If the emails are in sub-folders or in personal My folders there will be a right arrow by the folder name to click on to expand the folders.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Thanks for help - but I think the issue is with Talktalk and wonder if my inboxes are corrupted somehow - have probably four or five years worth (thousands possibly) of emails just disappeared - i'm not sure how I could have inadvertently cleared all three talktalk.net emails accounts (two I has since they started- 20 years ?) via Gmail or Android mobile - have used apple mail for four years with only minor issues and changed to google as now have android phone - set up  with all e.mail addresses going into the same "pot".  Historically believe accounts were set up as pop3  with apple and outlook  but now think al IMAP - did see a few other posts where similar thing occurred e in box disappeared on forum -  and mail file was "fixed" .

Technical support are no help only really seem to be reading from a script - did  say issue not with connection, etc but had to go through all line test, etc - they say sending and receiving is ok - which I know and  is not the issue but the historic data not deleted by me - would have thought they could see if there is a fault or if  Ive somehow deleted them (I know this can occur with imap)

I cannot see any option on mobile or gmail offering this ie deleted in box - only deleting trash / deleted folders bit I suppose could be ;possible but then I would have expected to delete hotmail emails and the  few I get with google mail email address ss well

Neil Peacock
0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Hi Neil

The clients are set up as IMAP so will simply mirror what's in the 3 talktalk.net mailboxes. When you delete emails from the Inboxes either in Webmail or using any IMAP client the emails will be moved to Trash. If you empty the Trash then all trace of the emails will have gone. Any email client may be set to empty the Trash.

You say that some emails exist on the phone. I assume that means those emails aren't in the mailbox and are only on the phone.  That does suggest the phone is set up with a POP3 email app so is downloading the emails to the phone. You'll need to inspect the settings to see if the phone is deleting the emails.

Let us know what you find.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16
All set up as imap accounts I think
Neil Peacock
0 Likes

Message 14 of 16

All talktalk.net addresses emails being recieved mainly junk so deleted as  rubbish and sending ok - however  history missing on  froall three  probably since last week was using Gmail and also tried outlook. Apple mail and web mail but same or history missing some non deleted missing emails show on phone don't think deleted in error

Neil Peacock
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Hi Neil

If I understand your situation you have 3 talktalk managed email addresses and none have any messages in the Inboxes?  Is that right?  And you see completely empty Inboxes when signing in to TalkTalk Mail here?

Is the email domain talktalk.net for all 3 email addresses? Or a different domain like ukgateway.net or screaming.net or another?

And are you using Outlook or other email clients / apps set up as POP3 email accounts to collect emails from those talktalk managed email addresses?

0 Likes