Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Talktalk email are disappearing from my in box

6 REPLIES 6
markkings
Chatterbox

All my mail has disappeared from my Talktalk inbox. Emails are being received but disappear after about 10 minutes. Two iPads are affected but the mails are remaining on my Mac. HOWEVER checking talktalk web mail on ALL devices gives empty inbox. This happened on morning of 11 April 2021. I spent over an hour on chat line with Talktalk and not solved then lost the contact. 

Does the fact that the mail is on my mac means it is on the HDrive and the fault is on the talktalk server and with my talktalk email address. I have tried an iCloud address and those emails remain in my in box.  Help please anyone

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @markkings 

It means that your MAC PC Mac Mail / Apple Mail is set to communicate with the mailbox as a POP3 email account that by default is set to download and delete from the online Inbox. 

So, just change the setting of Mac Mail to keep a copy on the server when it downloads. You may choose to define the period of time that mail is kept on the server.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

markkings
Chatterbox

Hi Gondola

That seems to be the answer as my Mac was connected a couple of days ago. Looking up on how to change pop to imap is not as straight forward as it seems as I seem to have to delete the talktalk mail and could loose all the mail on the Mac. From your explanation I thought that it would be a click from one to the other pop to imap but there is no facility to do this as far as I can see. 

I am a bit nervous at deleting the mail app as I may loose what I have. I am in my mid 80s so you may understand. I think I may ask Apple or Talktalk to take over the Mac and guide me through.

I cannot understand why the Talktalk agent did not come up with this after well over an hour. after having the same info as you had. Anyway thank you very much as all seem logical now.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi markkings 

Don't delete the email account from the MAC before saving all wanted mail messages to a local folder or backup drive as deletion would take with it all mail not  in your mailbox on the online server.

What is the version of Mac OS? Sierra or newer or older than Sierra (10.12).

You can keep the POP3 account if that's your preference and just untick the setting for 'Remove copy from server after retrieving a message'.

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

markkings
Chatterbox

I cannot see your latest post on here that was on email. I have saved mail to a file in Docs and the Mac OS is Big Sur. I have found the server delete which was ticked so unticked now. I will tackle more tomorrow but thank you for your help it is great!!!

Gondola
Community Star

It's always great to have my support appreciated. 

We appreciate you taking time out to let us have your feedback.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi markkings, thanks for posting back to let Gondola you were helped by their suggestions. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.