email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thousands of old emails being downloaded

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Message 54 of 54

Today my wife's email account downloaded over 5000 emails. I know that this happened a few years ago to some people but I want to bring it to the attention of the OCEs that it is happening again.

My own account has not been affected in the same way.

Anyone else experiencing this?

0 Likes
53 REPLIES 53

Message 1 of 54

@Bluebells wrote:

Dad is actually a very zealous clearer outer of his Outlook system ..................

Thums Up.jpg

0 Likes

Message 2 of 54

Not really any thanks to me at the end of the day, Horned One. Dad is actually a very zealous clearer outer of his Outlook system but until a day ago he's had Retain on Server set because (from my own experience with BT in the past) that allows recovery if hacked. Now he's unticked that but we have a plan to migrate him off TalkTalk email - and eventually broadband (which I did from BT several years ago). Hopefully he'll be as happy as I am with a portable email address and a different broadband supplier. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 54

@Bluebells wrote:Now, he should be fine once he's done a final delete. Phew.

Well done you, and congratulations to your lady helper Bluebells!

When things have settled down, have a word with your Dad about the importance of regular 'housekeeping', like clearing the trash / junk / spam folder[s], and similar system maintenance, on a daily basis.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 54

Well, hours of conversation with TalkTalk to no avail. They just didn't understand and kept suggesting impossible things like setting up a Rule. Apparently they are no longer allowed to take control of one's computer remotely but they talked Dad through all manner of silly things like altering Chrome (!). 

But there was a happy ending thanks to the superb computer shop near my Dad; the lady there loaded his email account into an empty email client on her computer and downloaded the 000s of old emails, the last of which took a very long time. (Apparently because they had never all downloaded on his pc, they started again from scratch each time he tried.) Now, he should be fine once he's done a final delete. Phew.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 54

Well, I'm resigning now from this forum, and leaving Talktalk when my contract expires, which is regrettably in 12 months, as I've only recently renewed.  I've been with them for years and have never had any problems prior to this.  So, to other people who say they've never had a problem, I would say that it probably just hasn't happened yet.

Cheerio

0 Likes

Message 6 of 54

Thanks for explaining. However, I don't think I can talk my Dad through reinstating his email account remotely, and I'm concerned about retaining his Address Book and bone fide emails that are in his In Box.

It sounds as if he's going to have to cope without using email until I can visit again in a month. Where are TalkTalk in all this long discussion? Can't they sort this out for him? [Don't answer that, I think I know the answer!]

0 Likes

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Message 7 of 54
Changing the setting will only take effect afterwards so anything that has already been downloaded will still be on the server meaning that they will be downloaded again. Now that you have the setting changed I would delete the account from Outlook which will have the effect of deleting all the emails associated with it. Restart Outlook and recreate the account and see what happens.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 54

Well, Dad unticked the Retain on Server box in Outlook, deleted all the old emails that were in his Unread Folder, deleted the contents of the Deleted Folder, turned off Outlook, after a while turned it on again ... and all the old emails flooded in again!

I have made a Folder in his webmail called ARCHIVE but I still can't see any of these old emails in webmail anywhere so I can't move them into the archive. 

Any more ideas folks? With many thanks for amy help you can give me.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 54

The thousands of emails only came up on the Webmail server when I tried something I read online, which was to create a folder called Archive on the Webmail page and start to transfer all the old emails into it.  They can be deleted in Archive but not from the inbox.  When I set up the new folder the thousands of emails in the inbox became visible. But you can only delete them 50 at a time by altering the settings, top right somewhere.  When I tried to do that the Webmail site crashed.

So I turned off and didn't switch on again until the following morning, and by then all of the old emails had gone completely from the Webmail page.  But you also need to alter your dad's settings in his email account on his computer to remove or delete emails immediately they are downloaded from the server.  Then, in theory, TT can't send them through repeatedly to his computer any more.  

In deleting all of the old emails, I accidentally seem to have deleted emails I wanted to keep, including some relating to tickets I'd purchased for events, so it's been a complete nightmare (I hope someone senior from TT eventually reads this).  However, I had the emails backed up and have now located that backup on my computer, although I haven't figured out how to put them back in my inbox yet.  

Take my advice - when you get it sorted, tell your dad to find another provider with the utmost urgency.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 54

In Outlook, there is a vast number after the Inbox Folder suggesting that there are 000s of emails in it. However, the In Box screen only shows the few recent emails Dad has received. I have loogged on to his webmail and the only emails showing in the In Box are those recent ones, although there is the same number after the Folder Name even in webmail. 

Yesterday, Dad (who is located remote to me) found all the old emails in Outlook in a folder called Unread Emails; he deleted them and also emptied the Delete Folder but Outlook immediately showed them all being re-downloaded and the big number has re-appeared next to the In Box folder name. 

I do not know how / where to post the requisite details in his account to get help (or will it just rectify itself when TalkTalk sort it out???) and would welcome advice. Many thanks.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 11 of 54

Actually, with reference to the above, I've now realised that I have permanently lost every email I received between Dec 2017 and 24 April 2018, probably in the confusion of trying to delete the thousands of old emails but retain the important ones. So the disruption this has caused is enormous.

I've been with Talktalk a long time simply because I've had no technical issues with them, but this has made me think again.  I shall not renew when the contract expires.  It would help if Talktalk were not continuing to send me texts which are irrelevant because whoever is sending them has not read the prior messages and does not seem to understand what has happened.  

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 12 of 54

To the person who replied to my above email, which doesn't seem to be showing up here. I'm sorry, my technical knowledge is limited.  All I know is that this situation came out of nowhere and righted itself after 24 hours.   The 11500 emails only disappeared overnight from Talktalk's server; I had already manually deleted them from my computer.  I don't know why your email isn't showing here, and I don't know how to do a personal message.  Your father's email program does sound quite old.  I upgraded from something similar a long time ago because of warnings about it not being very secure.

I'm sorry I can't be of further help.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 54

My Dad has this problem. He's using Outlook 2003 POP. I am not a Talktalk user so would be grateful for your help please.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 54

My Dad is suffering from this problem. He is using Outlook 2003. I am not a TalkTalk user but this is on his account. Please tell me how to communicate with you (I can't find how to post a private message) and how to sort the problem. Bluebell. 

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 15 of 54

This happened to me yesterday - 11500 old emails flooded my inbox.  Spent the whole day trying to sort it out with texts going back and forth with Talktalk - a most unsatisfactory way of corresponding but reported delays of 20 minutes plus by 'phone.  I've now altered my Apple Mail settings to remove emails at the server immediately after downloading, but when I tried to alter Webmail to show 50 at a time instead of 20 (so that I could have a go at deleting them all) the website crashed for me, and then my Mail program went down as well.

This morning the 11500 emails have disappeared from Talktalk Webmail, and my last two days' emails, which I had thought lost, have reappeared.  All now seems back to normal, which leads me to believe a comment from someone else in this forum, who managed to get Talktalk to admit that they caused the original problem with some work they were doing on the website.

So my advice would be wait 24 hours to see if it rights itself before spending hours messing about with it, but make sure you let Talktalk know what you think of them for causing it.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 54

Thanks for your responses to jobie18 guys - just come out of hospital. Look forward to seeing confirmation in due course that problem happily resolved. Hard work but the only way to go if the situation is not to repeat itself.

Message 17 of 54

Hi Jobie18, ArkRoyal's post did the business for Not techy and should help you. Please let us know how you get on. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 54
Just to add what I found useful is instead of deleting the thousands of emails, follow ArkRoyals suggestions and then instead of deleting put all your emails (a tedious task I know) as flagged and then delete then they don’t seem to come back.
0 Likes

Message 19 of 54

Read Arkroyal’s updates that helped me

0 Likes

Message 20 of 54

Yes yes yes

its driving me crazy

10 thousand old e mails being downloaded each time I check my mail

it started being once a week now three times a day

HELP PLEASE ANYONE

0 Likes