email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird not receiving emails

JerryJ
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 20

I use Thunderbird for emailing on my laptop and have a tiscali email address.  A few days ago emails stopped arriving in my Thunderbird inbox.  They were all there in TalkTalk webmail and on my iPhone, but nothing in Thunderbird.  I've checked the imap settings which look ok to me.  HELP!!

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi Jerry, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Hi JerryJ 

Yes, we've seen similar occurrences with other Internet security packages and thanks for marking @FOS44 as Best Answer as that may well help others searching for the same issue. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 20

Hi Gondola,

As you might have seen, the other member's suggestion re the ESET security software was bang on - fixed the problem straight away.

Thanks for your interest and help

Jerry

Message 4 of 20

It was running for ages. More than 15 minutes, I'm sure.

Never mind - I have the fix now as you may have seen.

Thanks for your interest.

Jerry

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hi Seb,

You're a genius!!

I also have ESET and your fix worked perfectly.

Thank you SO much.

I can't help wondering what happened at the end of November to set all this off - but I don't really care.

Thanks again

Jerry

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

@JerryJ wrote:

When the Thunderbird inbox is selected, the throbber (if that's the right name for the spinning blue disc) is permanently running as if looking for emails.

How long do you permit the activity indicator to display JerryJ, because I would otherwise expect it to terminate automatically with a - although not always particularly helpful - error message E.G. ............

2020-12-04 16_44_46-.jpg

~R.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hi JerryJ 

I have Thunderbird running in parallel with TalkTalk Mail webmail so I can confirm there is no general problem with either TalkTalk Mail or Thunderbird running under Windows 10.

You'll see another member has noted that some Internet Security softwares can hold up connections when scanning secure ports. The member mentions ESET but we have in the past seen similar occurrences with Kaspersky and Avast. In such cases when you do have other software running that may be interacting with email, like anti-virus software then temporarily disable the software scanning to prove the cause.

Once proven then it's relatively easy to add an exception to the scanning process. So, let us know the outcome.

Message 8 of 20

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for that.

On my wife's laptop:-

I made the changes to port 587, STARTTLS security and Normal Password.

I checked that the password is correct and the email address is on MyAccount Mailboxes list.

Sadly it made no difference.  Still no emails in the Thunderbird inbox after 29 Nov and there should be lots which are all visible on iPhone and webmail.

When the Thunderbird inbox is selected, the throbber (if that's the right name for the spinning blue disc) is permanently running as if looking for emails.  Are we sure there isn't a problem with TalkTalk?

0 Likes

FOS44
First Timer
Message 9 of 20

Hi there.

Let me add something to this thead. I have similar problem with all my Gmail accounts. About 5 days ago thunderbird stopped receiving emails. After removing one of the accounts and trying to add it again I'm getting the same message Unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration...

I have found online that it's antivirus what's causing problem. I use NOD32 Eset so solution for mine was this (it worked):

Stop Thunderbird Open ESET -> Setup-> Advanced setup -> Web and E-Mail -> SSL/TLS Disable the SSL/TLS filtering, press OK, give another OK/YES for Windows User Account Control (UAC).

Enable the function again. Press OK (ESET) and YES (UAC).

Start Thunderbird

Seb

Message 10 of 20

Hi @JerryJ 

The incoming server settings are ok but the outgoing SMTP server settings are in need of updating.

Port 25 is deprecated so use port 587 with STARTTLS connection security and Normal Password authentication.

Account Type  IMAP
Username username@tiscali.co.uk
Password tiscali email password
IMAP mail server name imap.tiscali.co.uk
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication method Normal Password
SMTP mail server name smtp.tiscali.co.uk
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS

Then, assuming the password is correct and the email address is added to your MyAccount, My Mailboxes list, Thunderbird should be ok.

Message 11 of 20

Hi again, here are my wife's Thunderbird account settings:-

Server Name:  imap.tiscali.co.uk    Port: 993

User Name:  ####.#####@tiscali.co.uk

Connection Security:  SSL/TLS

Authentication method:  Normal password

Outgoing Server

Description:  not specified

Server Name:  smtp.tiscali.co.uk

Port:  25

User Name:  ####.####@tiscali.co.uk

Authentication method:  Password, transmitted insecurely

Connection Security:  None

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Good morning Gondola,

Yes, I'm registered for MyAccount and have been for many years.  We have two mailboxes, mine and my wife's.  The set up has been working fine for years until 4 or 5 days ago and we haven't changed anything.  I'll send you details of my wife's account settings as soon as I can.  Thanks again.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Hi JerryJ 

Have you registered for the TalkTalk customer MyAccount so you can keep track of your billing online? Registering for My Account 

You also manage TalkTalk Mail mailboxes in MyAccount. Managing your email in My Account see the section 'Email not showing in My Account'

I ask because if the email addresses / mailboxes are not added to a customer MyAccount online they are liable to be restricted to webmail only access and ultimately to deletion.

Manage TalkTalk Mail - Add an existing mailbox.png

Please take screenshots of your wife's Thunderbird setup as you say that's the same as yours was. Image edit to obscure the first part of her email address before uploading here.

Message 14 of 20

Hi Gondola,

Yes, I have a TalkTalk Simply Broadband plus fibre and Phone Account.

I'm not sure what you mean about adding the tiscali email address - It's the only email address I've ever had and became linked with TalkTalk when they bought Tiscali many years ago.

As requested, I have sent myself an email via TalkTalk Mail and it arrived ok and it appears in Sent Objects and is in my TalkTalk Mail Inbox and my iPhone Inbox.

As per your previous instructions, I removed my email account from Thunderbird and have not been able to set it up again, so there are no account settings to send you.

I possibly should have mentioned before that my wife has her own email address on the same TalkTalk account and uses Thunderbird on her own laptop and has exactly the same problem as me.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Hi JerryJ 

Just confirm please that you are a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband or MailPlus mail only customer and have added the tiscali email address to your customer MyAccount.

Double check that you can sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail to confirm the password is working.

Enter your tiscali email address, select Continue.

Enter your tiscali email password, select Sign in.

Compose and send yourself, to the same mailbox, a mail message. Check it sends without error, appears in the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Screenshot for me the Thunderbird account settings for both the incoming server and outgoing SMTP server, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and then drag and drop those edited images here in the Reply area.

Message 16 of 20

Thanks again.

Tried that but couldn't create new account - error message as follows...

Unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration, username or password.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Based on what you've said, Thunderbird should work.

So, go to:

• Account settings
  • Select the account from the side panel
  • Select Account actions, bottom of side panel
  • Select Remove account
  • Quit Thunderbird
  • Relaunch Thunderbird
  • Add the email account afresh

Message 18 of 20

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for your fast response.

The emails remain in TalkTalk webmail and my iPhone until I delete them on one or the other but they never appear in Thunderbird.

The settings you show are as I have them.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 19 of 20

Hi @JerryJ 

Are the mail messages still there in the Inbox on your laptop when signed in to TalkTalk Mail webmail via an Internet browser?  They may not be if your mobile is downloading and deleting them from the Inbox i.e. it's set up for a default POP3 email account.

Enter your tiscali email address, select Continue.

Enter your tiscali email password, select Sign in.

Have you recently changed the mailbox password but not updated the saved password in Thunderbird?  I'm assuming you get an error message in Thunderbird if there's a problem with the Thunderbird settings?

Account Type  IMAP
Username username@tiscali.co.uk
Password tiscali email password
IMAP mail server name imap.tiscali.co.uk
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
SMTP mail server name smtp.tiscali.co.uk
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS