email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiscali email blocked as unauthenticated by gmail

NJax47
Participant
Message 26 of 26

I sent an email reply yo my friend in Kenya and got the following delivery failure message 

host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [172.217.218.27]

SMTP error from remote server after pipelined end of data:

550-5.7.26 Unauthenticated email from tiscali.co.uk is not accepted due to

550-5.7.26 domain’s DMARC policy.

please can you sort this out with google as tiscali is a legitimate email address as part of the Talk Talk empire.

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Hi NJax47, Gondola is an expert on TalkTalk Mail the advice provided is spot on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 26

I've given you the email client settings to use in my first post. Therefore there should be no reason to use any other settings. I've also explained about your quoted settings that the primary one was suitable for a mobile device and also repeated the settings for non mobile devices. Your other settings were not suitable nor was your sending via other mail hosts. 

Your recent indication clearly indicates that webmail works perfectly well. Therefore you have no justification for complaint about TalkTalk let alone another complaint. 

As for email clients, you're not using the up to date secure settings if you need a TalkTalk network connection to authenticate sending. 

The complaints policy is listed below this page. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

NJax47
Participant
Message 3 of 26

I have listed the settings and you confirmed the primary settings are good.  You didn’t address why they wouldn’t work if they are good and I am amazed at your incredulity that this is a Talk Talk issue with the Tiscali e mail  address and how this works with other servers.  As no one from Talk Talk has properly engaged I will be making yet another complaint.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 26

If you need TalkTalk network authentication to reliably send mail messages it means that you're not using up to date email settings. But as you refuse to reveal what settings / mail apps you're using then nobody can see what you're doing wrong.

NJax47
Participant
Message 5 of 26

Now I am home and the email is sent - presumably because all the settings are correct and as a Talk Talk customer I have a Talk Talk router and this links direct to the Talk Talk server and recognises a tiscali email.    So the only difference when I am at another location is the host router and server.  So althoughI can send emails from webmail  anywhere unless I am in a house with a Talk Talk router I can’t send emails using an account such as outlook or Apple.   

please can someone from Talk Talk explain how this problem can be resolved. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 26

All TalkTalk Mail domains including tiscali.co.uk will use the smtp.talktalk.net host servers to send mail because these are permitted outgoing servers for TalkTalk outgoing mail. 

No TalkTalk outgoing mail designates any VM (ex-NTL) mail servers as permitted to send TalkTalk Mail. 

If a receiving mail service checks the SPF file it will reject the mail if sent by any other than a TalkTalk designated server. The DMARC policy simply tells the receiving mail service how to handle and report the unauthorised mail sending. 

I trust it's now clear that you only send TalkTalk Mail using only TalkTalk Mail servers. 

You don't need to change contact addresses from tiscali.co.uk to talktalk.net as both domains are and will continue to be supported by TalkTalk. 

It is important to use the SSL/TLS settings and secure port numbers I gave earlier and to authenticate mail with a normal password. Don't use port 25. 

NJax47
Participant
Message 7 of 26

My settings are correct.  I am not a Virgin Custer but am at the home of someone who is.

I have deleted the tiscali server as a secondary server so the email just bounces through the talk talk settings then onto the ntl settings and still doesn’t send because of the tiscali email address.  
This is a Talk Talk company issue that they are not supporting the Tiscali email address to get through DMARC with other providers and if they cannot support this are also not offering a simple solution for me and other account holders to change email address to Talk Talk.  By simple I mean one that takes the pain out of changing all contact details..

0 Likes

Message 8 of 26

Virgin Media Mail servers (for the ntlworld domain) will not authenticate the sending of tiscali.co.uk outgoing mail.

If you're a Virgin Media broadband customer then send ntlworld domain mail using the Virgin Media Mail servers and the outgoing settings published by VM.

If you're not a VM broadband customer then be prepared for your legacy ntlworld email address to be deleted at any time by VM. Heads up that if you're an ex-VM customer moved to TalkTalk for broadband then your ntlworld email address should have been deleted by VM just 12 months after leaving VM. VM are still finding 'orphan' email addresses that weren't auto deleted after 12 months and are deleting those addresses.

You're not answering the specific questions we've asked. But if you're doing things like using VM mail servers to forward or send TalkTalk Mail then don't be surprised if you get rejections.

NJax47
Participant
Message 9 of 26

Here is a thought for Ady to consider.

The emails get rejected when they are being sent through an ntlworld server. So could it be that the outgoing mail goes through the primary and secondary settings and then fails because the tiscali email address does not pass the DMARC requirements for ntl ?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 26

You really would help me to help you if you said what device / operating system and email software you were using. Then upload screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings. All I need you to do in advance of uploading is to image edit to obscure the first part of the email address. 

What was the bounce back error message from Yahoo Mail?

I don't have any problems getting mail from the TalkTalk Mail servers to Yahoo Mail / AoL Mail or Gmail so I am totally convinced that you should be able to successfully send once we know the reason for the fail. 

NJax47
Participant
Message 11 of 26

so if the primary server is good why does the email keep getting rejected,

Now just had a rejection from Yahoo.  Really think Talk Talk need to sort this out as it’s about other e mail host rejecting the tiscali address as a suspicious email address.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 26

Primary server GOOD.

Other TalkTalk servers BAD.

Use:

Outgoing server:

Username: TalkTalk email address

Password: TalkTalk password

Host name: smtp.talktalk.net

SSL switched ON

Authentication:   Password

Server Port: 587

Tiscali BAD

Use:

Outgoing server:

Username: tiscali email address

Password: tiscali password

Host name: smtp.talktalk.net

SSL switched ON

Authentication:   Password

Server Port: 587

Never use SSL switched off

For non-mobile devices, or apps which have it available, StartTLS is required.

Never use Port 25

NJax47
Participant
Message 13 of 26

Settings are

Primary Server

smtp..talktalk.net

Use SSL

Server Port 587

Other Servers

Host name    smtp.talktalk.net

SSL switched off

Server Port 25

Host name.  smtp.tiscali.co.uk

User name. As for my account

Password. As for my account

SSL switched off

Authentication.   Password

ServerPort 587

Host Server.  Smtp.ntlworld.com

Use SSL

Server Port.   465

thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 26

Hi Njax47, please post your full mail settings excluding your mail address so that we can see what we're working with. 

Just as a point of interest whilst Gondola isn't a TalkTalk staff member their input is as valuable as any. Gondola fixes more problems than I care to count especially as most are related to mail client set up rather than a TalkTalk mail system issue. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 15 of 26

Thanks Gondola your help as always is gratefully received. 

Ady

Message 16 of 26

I'll leave this one to you Ady. The solution is there. 

NJax47
Participant
Message 17 of 26

Hi Andy,  No Gondola has not sorted it out and doesn’t work for Talk Talk.  I feel you are abdicating your responsibility and need to take a more active role in making sure Talk Talk sort out this unnecessary issue with google please.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 26

Hi NJax47, it looks like Gondola's going to help you get this sorted. Please post back to let us know how you get on.

Ady

Message 19 of 26

Is that a mobile device? Useful to see the setup screenshots because I can't see the full setup to advise on changes.

NJax47
Participant
Message 20 of 26

It’s using SSL otherwise all set up as requested.  It doesn’t usually get blocked. 

0 Likes