email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiscali email not working on Ouitlook or Windows Mail

robmar0se
Participant
Message 12 of 12

Using windows 10/64 Pro v 21H2,, I can access Tiscali email via webmail fine, but I have tried using WIndows Live Mail, Windows Mail (win 10), & Outlook 2010 (Client email!) but have been unsuccessful.  Just get the error asking for the password to be re-entered - know its correct as it works on webmail.

I have tried both Pop3 & Imap; I have tried both Tiscali & Talktalk mail servers., eg imap.talktalk.net, mail.talktalk.net, mail.tiscali.co.uk, etc., using sls 993/995 etc (plus other requiremnts as clearly defined anywahere for Tiscali/TalkTalk email clients).  Really gone round the houses n times

I have come to the conclusion that its never going to work, however if we do move away, we need to export the emails for reference.  How to export emails from webmail?  Never had cause to do this!

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Rob, there are forms for my telephone colleagues to fill out that come to myself and colleagues to work that involve deregistering the MyAccount so that you can register again with a non TalkTalk address. Once registered for the first time you can then change to using the TalkTalk address. At this point in time and many millions of pounds down the email process we're not binning Tiscali addresses. I'll check who advised you and provide feedback.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 12

Hi robmar0se 

Customer Support will usually say that tiscali.co.uk or even talktalk.net mail accounts are being 'binned' and that's simply because all new registrations for a customer MyAccount must be made using a non-TalkTalk email address.

The logic is simple - if you're a new registrant for MyAccount you'll not be able to use a TalkTalk Mail address because

a) you can only create a TalkTalk Mail address with a MyAccount, and

b) any former TalkTalk Mail address should already be linked to an existing MyAccount so cannot be reused to register for another MyAccount.

But support for tiscali.co.uk and talktalk.net as mail accounts does continue and they're not at all 'binned'. True that new tiscali.co.uk addresses cannot be created or recreated.

If she has already registered a customer MyAccount and that is linked to a another tiscali email address that's either deleted or she's forgotten the password for then the simplest solution is to set the login for that active MyAccount to a Gmail address for her. Then she can check that any former tiscali mailbox that she is still using is added to the list of My Mailboxes in the Manage TalkTalk Mail section under My Services.

If you're a nominated user on her account then either Ady or Customer Services should be able to set up her MyAccount as described.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

robmar0se
Participant
Message 3 of 12

Hi - an update.

Spent 2 hours on the phone today with TalkTalk, bottom line is that the Tiscali name is being binned, 

The additional problem was that the registered account was in another, discontinued Tiscali email address.  There is no way they were able to reregister another existing Tiscali address for the above reasons.

We will therefore try and export the existing webmail, and close that account.

Many thanks to Gondola and others for their help

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Hi Rob, if you have any problems once you've followed Gondola's advice please let me know. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 12

Yes, if she has no current MyAccount i.e. receiving paper bills from TalkTalk, then registering for a customer MyAccount will have two immediate benefits. Adding the tiscali.co.uk email address to the MyAccount Manage TalkTalk Mail will mean that there's no limiting to webmail only access and she can change the password within MyAccount. The bonus is that her monthly charges will reduce if she elects to have online bills in MyAccount.

Registering for MyAccount

Do let us know if there's any additional help you need. It feels like you have this all under control now but we're here if you need support.

0 Likes

robmar0se
Participant
Message 6 of 12

Thanks Gondola - was able to verify the account is orphaned, will need to re-register - might take a while as needs the owner's a/c no , dob etc

Regards

Rob

Message 7 of 12

The use of TLS 1.2 is given in the TalkTalk Email settings help page: 

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings - IMAP & POP3

The not recommended workaround is not to use any connection security at all.  The risk is that the mail messages and password could be intercepted between the user and mail server and easily read without any effort. I wouldn't take the risk when so much of what we do is online and requires top level security to keep our personal data safe.  The deprecated email products aren't kept updated with security patches so are increasingly vulnerable to hacking that compounds the risks of transmitting mail and passwords in the clear.

I assume you're thinking about Gmail allowing the user to use "less-secure" apps as an option? It's sort of similar but Gmail is basically saying "it's your risk if you use anything other than the Gmail app".

robmar0se
Participant
Message 8 of 12

Thanks Gondola, In fact I saw this table posted earlier and used it in my attempts previously.  I did wonder about TLS 1.2 , this is the first time that I have found reference to it on TT - may I assume there is no workaround as there is on Gmail?

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Hi robmar0se 

As she is a TalkTalk home broadband customer then ensure the tiscali email address is added to her customer MyAccount - assuming she is registered for MyAccount online billing and not receiving paper bills.

The mailbox will then be fully accessible via both webmail and supported email clients like Windows Mail with Windows 10 and 11 or Thunderbird.

All TalkTalk Consumer mailboxes use the same Email Settings. The settings for an IMAP email account with Thunderbird are:

Account Type  IMAP
User Name Full Tiscali email address
Password Tiscali email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP) 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

Windows Live Mail (WLM) would not have been able to connect securely to the mailbox from 3 March due to the requirement to connect using the TLS 1.2 protocol that is not supported by email clients like WLM and out-of-the box products like Outlook 2010 and earlier. Hence the reason for saying she should simply cease using those products.

robmar0se
Participant
Message 10 of 12

Many thanks, very thorough and very helpful.

I’ve tried Windows Mail as per yr spec, but will give it another  go, & will try Thunderbird too.

My client is a basic TalkTalk broadband (ADSL) user, and has had trouble with her a/c for some time using WLM (passwords?)– I got is working on webmail.  So I suspect that she may have been “orphaned” – will have a look for emails from TT, but she has been deleting “irrelevant” emails on webmail so may not find anything.

Anyway, good ideas and something to work on.  Thank you very much.  Will come back once have had a chance to investigate yr suggestions.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi robmar0se 

First, let's deal with the non-starters. Windows Live Mail and Outlook 2010 are past end of life support, will not connect securely to the TalkTalk servers so are recommended for a long retirement.

Windows Mail, as supplied with Windows 10, is supported and the TalkTalk Mail server settings are given below and these are for any TalkTalk Mail domain including tiscali.co.uk: 

Windows Mail POP3 server settings for TalkTalk MailWindows Mail POP3 server settings for TalkTalk Mail

Other email clients, for example Thunderbird, will also offer secure IMAP access to an active customer mailbox.

But I'm wondering if the tiscali email address is what's known as an orphan address. TalkTalk Mail addresses not added to an active TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount (orphan addresses), are being limited to Internet browser webmail access and flagged for deletion if no action is taken*. TalkTalk email notifications are being sent.

Are you a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband or MailPlus, mail only, subscriber customer and if so is the TalkTalk Mail email address added to your customer MyAccount?  Let us know your customer status and if you're taking a full-fibre home broadband service from TalkTalk. Manage TalkTalk Mail options are not yet included in the full-fibre MyAccount management. 

Email not showing in My Account

* The action to take to restore email access on supported devices is:

• Add the email address to an active TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount
  • If not a customer, rejoin TalkTalk for home broadband or subscribe to  TalkTalk MailPlus

About TalkTalk MailPlus

Saving emails from TalkTalk Mail webmail

To save mail messages directly from TalkTalk Mail as eml files, that can be viewable in other email clients, proceed as follows:

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

• Select a folder (in this example the Inbox)
  • Select a single email or multiple emails using the checkboxes
  • Select the More actions menu triple line toolbar icon
  • Select the Save as file menu item
    Select Save File from the File Manager window that opens
    If you selected a single mail message you'll save that as an eml file
    If you selected multiple mail messages you'll save that as a zip file containing multiple eml files
  • Select a folder on your device to save the mail message file(s)

Saving Emails 03August2021

NB Select all will by default select just the first 50 mail messages in the folder. Use the List view scroll bars to enable the selection of more messages.

Saving the emails to a Gmail account

• Open the saved zip file with File Explorer
  • Save the extracted email (eml) files to a folder
    This can be your backup email folder
  • Enable IMAP in your Gmail account settings
  • Setup your Gmail account as an IMAP account in Thunderbird
  • Drag and drop the email files to a Gmail folder in Thunderbird
  • That folder will automatically synchronise to your Gmail account

You've now copied mail messages to a backup email folder for safe keeping.  And copied those mail messages via Thunderbird synchronising the emails automatically to your Gmail account.