email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiscali email won't send from ipad

davep
Insightful One
Message 24 of 24

wife's ipad won't send mail from tiscali.co.uk account.  It does receive mail.  Her outlook account (@hotmail.com) works ok.

Message is something like can't authenticate.  We re-set the password after Wednesdays drop out and again this morning.

She has turned ipad off and on, still mail sitting in outbox.

I guess solution is to remove then re-install the email account, unless anyone (@Gondola ) tells me different.

Thanks

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Ouch, slap wrists.  Ipad would go in bin if it wasn't for world class support on here, and my own new expertise.  But will I remember next time.......

Message 2 of 24

Great stuff davep, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted now. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

........ excuses notwithstanding @davep, it's surprising what you can achieve of your own volition though, innit!

~R.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

thanks all for replies.  Never thought of this one

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email/Can-t-send-email-from-iPad/m-p/2243274

Didn't know it needed a password for in and outgoing, but then never having much to do with iPad, I'm not sure I would have spotted it though I think I must have done it once before and forgotten.  It's an age (and lack of interest / use of ipad) thing.

Message 5 of 24

You've confirmed that you have not upgraded the password. But I'm surprised that you didn't try to change the password because you'd then have seen if password recovery reset details were present. 

Is your mailbox password strong enough?

Before the mailbox authentication detects a weak password and declines to connect to your mailbox and forces a password change please take time to upgrade your password.

Hopefully you'll have pre-registered for password recovery an alternate email address and mobile number. Either can be selected in the password reset process to receive an emailed link or a 6 digit code by mobile text message to authenticate a password change. It's worth checking these Reset details are present and correct before opting to change the password. 

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter the tiscali email address and the current email password, select Sign in.

Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Check, update and Save the Reset details if needed, then use the Reset your password now button in the help page  Changing your email password.

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a password of 12-15 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol. Created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox. The Internet browser that you use for TalkTalk Mail may also offer to generate a secure password and can save the login for you.

Use  TalkTalk Online Defence (SuperSafe) to keep your security strong and, as part of TalkTalk's security, is a  Password Manager that is useful for generating unique passwords, keeping those passwords secure, ready for your login.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

Message 6 of 24

@davep wrote:

Is a remove and re-instigate the easiest answer?

Yes, provided the existing account is expunged!

~R.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

when there was the outage earlier in the week, I re-set my password in the web mail and on all the machines we have.  All except the ipad, and using the tiscali.co.uk on settings, are working correctly. 

I doubt she has set up password recovery options, in advance, that you recognise from the *****hints, then you can send the alternate email address a link or the mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.   What does *****hints mean?

Is a remove and re-instigate the easiest answer?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

If the send error is an authentication error / incorrect password, as you mentioned earlier, then the password saved on the iPad is either wrong or weak or the iPad has not saved the password correctly.

In this situation I upgrade the password.

The Reset your password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery. 

If your wife has set up password recovery options, in advance, that you recognise from the *****hints, then you can send the alternate email address a link or the mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

Message 9 of 24

don't know how to send screenshot, but have changed the host name and the settings are as you suggest, below.  Doesn't quite look the same as that, but maybe haven't got everything in same format. 

Still not working.

In settings:

IMAP account informatioon

Name    XXXXXXXXX

Email     xxxxxxx@tiscali.co.uk

Incoming mail server

Host name   imap.talktalk.net

Username   XXXXXXX@tiscali.co.uk

Password     XXXXXXXXXX         Advanced settings  SSL on  Auth  password,  Server port  993

Outgoing mail server      smtp.talktalk.net

Setting as below

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER (SMTP)
Host Name: smtp.talktalk.net
Username: The full Tiscali email address (It's NOT optional)
Password: Tiscali email password (It's NOT optional)

Select the Mail account name Description
Select OUTGOING MAIL SERVER and tap SMTP
Make sure it is set as the primary server

Server must be ON (green)
Use SSL must be ON (green)
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 587

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

It's not just the server host name that needs checking.

It'll make it easier if you screenshot and upload the images for the SMTP outgoing mail server settings and advanced incoming settings. I can then see what needs changing. Just obscure the first part of the Username. Username is the full tiscali email address.

Message 11 of 24

not sure I fully understand, but that's nothing new for me.

I don't use the ipad, but it hasn't been changed except for occasional os updates in 3 years.

If wife will let me I will change the server as suggested, but still don't get why it suddenly stops sending emails.

I did re-write the email address and password and I'm sure they are correct.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

Hi Dave

I'm only responding to the information you're provided that indicated the iPad wasn't set up to use the recommended server settings.

So at this point I'm simply advising on aligning the settings to recommendations. If there's still an issue we can move on to troubleshooting but the first step is always to check the mailbox via webmail and then get the incoming and outgoing server settings for email software into an known state i.e. on to the recommended settings.

Message 13 of 24

thanks for the reply.  Before I do anything, can I ask why this just happened?  It hasn't been changed over the 3 years wife has had that ipad.  My iphone works with the tiscali.co.uk servers, as do my other machines.

As ever I will bow to your superior knowledge, and I guess it will be simple to change, just find it difficult to fathom.

I think it is ios 15.1 if that makes any difference.

Message 14 of 24

Hi Dave

The Outgoing Mail Server host name needs to be changed from smtp.tiscali.co.uk to smtp.talktalk.net

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER (SMTP)
Host Name: smtp.talktalk.net
Username: The full Tiscali email address (It's NOT optional)
Password: Tiscali email password (It's NOT optional)

Select the Mail account name Description
Select OUTGOING MAIL SERVER and tap SMTP
Make sure it is set as the primary server

Server must be ON (green)
Use SSL must be ON (green)
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 587
Tap Done

If you need further guidance then I'll need the iPad model and iOS version.

Message 15 of 24

this is still not working.  Ipad was switched off overnight but no change.

Is the solution to re-install the email address or any alternative?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

@Ady-TalkTalk  Any suggestions please?

0 Likes

davep
Insightful One
Message 17 of 24

still same.  I haven't changed anything, just found out where things were.  Any ideas welcome.  Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

And is everything working properly now?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

davep
Insightful One
Message 19 of 24

@Ady-TalkTalk I think i may have found it.  Server Port 587?   I can't see that would have been changed at any time as we both leave most things alone

davep
Insightful One
Message 20 of 24

@Ady-TalkTalk   all I see is smtp.tiscali.co.uk

As I recall my son set it up and all went in automatically, but I may be wrong.  Apart from that, I don't think either of us would know how to find anything else.  I know on my laptop, but that's a pop3 mail setting.  I guess it may be as iphone incoming 993, but can't find outgoing.

The message is cannot send mail.  The user name or password for  xx@tiscali.co.uk is incorrect

0 Likes