email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Many Recipients (TT502)

agzol
Team Player
Message 5 of 5

I started getting this issue yesterday - it went away but it's back.

I'm just sending emails to no more than 6 recipients.

This follows a spate of password prompts a few days ago which mysterious went away!!!

I do use VPN but have done for years so that cannot be the issue.

This must be a TT service issue so please if you reply don't fob me off with some lame excuses.

Thanks

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi agzol, if you take Gondola's advice you should get this sorted. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 5

Just keep Norton VPN set to use an UK host. 

If you're saying that you don't ever sign in to your mailbox outside of the VPN then that's perfect as there won't be any concurrent connections from geographically distanced access points. 

Which means that the only time that TalkTalk's spam protection rate limiting would be triggered is if your mailbox got compromised. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

agzol
Team Player
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your explanation.  Looking around at other similar issues seems to point at the way TT handle / limits VPN connections. 

I have experimented and can see that Norton VPN induces the issue with the TT service.

As you say I can switch off VPN and continue working. This isn't a solution. And why has this just happened when I've been using VPN for years.? 

OK - being positive I have changed my Norton VPN region from "best" to UK.

I do not underrstand your other statement "If you use the VPN connection then first sign out other TalkTalk Mail connections that aren't via the VPN and the mail security will not detect a conflict"  Which other TT mail connections could there be?

Thanks

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi agzol 

You're convinced that the TT502 is a TalkTalk Mail service issue and in a sense you're right and is because of the detection of multiple concurrent logins and rate limiting imposed by the TalkTalk Mail senders as a spam protection measure.

Don't send mail and wait for 24 hours and the rate limiting will be reset.

No lame excuses from me so I'll give you the facts. TT501 and TT502 are error messages that indicate sending to too many recipients. But there are circumstances that can trigger a lower than normal sending limit. Using mail via a non-UK network, a network where the IP address is a non-UK registered address or using a VPN where the VPN host is outside the UK.

What's happening when using the VPN is that TalkTalk Mail is detecting multiple concurrent connections from geographically distanced access points.

For example, when signed in to Mail from your home broadband connection directly but also via a VPN server that could be in another country. It's the geographic separation that causes TalkTalk Mail to think your mail may have an unauthorised sign in.

If you use the VPN connection then first sign out other TalkTalk Mail connections that aren't via the VPN and the mail security will not detect a conflict. Also try and select a VPN host in the UK rather than one in another country.

TalkTalk Support will be back on Monday to follow up with you.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution