email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many messages TT602

gazzawazza
Whizz Kid
Message 31 of 31

hi

Just got my last two emails to my boss bounced as undeliverable.

Don't normally get this message.

I've emailed him 6 times yesterday i.e. 24 hr period (and 5 times in the 24 hours prior to yesterday).

1st email that bounced was last night at 21.24.

The next time i tried was just now - 04.12 (so basically a 7 hour gap).

I DON'T consider this "too many messages"

This is affecting my job.

I'm sending from a lineone account to the ealinghockey.com domain.

Please can someone advise?

Thanks,

Gary

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 1 of 31

I'm allowing leaway to compensate for any unseen delays that you're not aware of. If we tell you exactly 60 minutes you might be retriggering the trap without knowing it. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 31

@Ady-TalkTalk wrote:

If you've only got error TT501 then 2 hours is enough. You have to leave the buffer as it's a rolling system not fixed. 

Ady

sorry Ady

I don't understand what you mean by rolling, aside from it meaning it always goes from the latest error/issue.

If i sent email at e.g. 12.00 and got TT501 from it AND do not send any more, 1hr penalty should expire at 13.00? So logically then things should be ok after that.

I obviously physically understand your recommendation of waiting 2 hrs (though don't get why).

0 Likes

Message 3 of 31

If you've only got error TT501 then 2 hours is enough. You have to leave the buffer as it's a rolling system not fixed. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 31

@Ady-TalkTalk wrote:

I know. The best/only way is to wait 25 hours from time of last sent mail. 

Ady

sorry to potentially make you repeat yourself, so for a TT501 1 hr rate limit, you're saying i have to wait 1 day + 1 hr?

Thanks,

Gary

0 Likes

Message 5 of 31

I know. The best/only way is to wait 25 hours from time of last sent mail. 

Ady

Message 6 of 31

@Ady-TalkTalk wrote:

Hi Gary, I'm not permitted to share the information. I'm sorry there are no exceptions. 

Ady

That's fair enough.

However, it does make it very hard to resume email service use, if one doesn't know how long to wait (after being rate limited). That's i believe the sole reason my TT501 got upgraded to a TT502.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 31

Hi Gary, I'm not permitted to share the information. I'm sorry there are no exceptions. 

Ady

Message 8 of 31

@Ady-TalkTalk wrote:

Hi Gary, the email defences are constantly reviewed and updated by the email team and the Cloudmark team. I'll ask the questions, but you'll rarely get a direct answer as they want to protect the rules that govern the filters.

Ady

happy for you to respond by PM and i can agree not to disclose sensitive info.

I just need to know how long i have to wait in the event of a TT501, because i thought i'd complied.

regards,

Gary

0 Likes

Message 9 of 31

Hi Gary, the email defences are constantly reviewed and updated by the email team and the Cloudmark team. I'll ask the questions, but you'll rarely get a direct answer as they want to protect the rules that govern the filters.

Ady

0 Likes

Message 10 of 31

@Gondola wrote:

Do I confirm to TalkTalk Support that you did follow my advice in message 9?

what i can confirm is that:

a) i didn't change my password (because i didn't believe i had been compromised).

b) There are some passwords that i do need to be able to remember too, in case i need to input them in a foreign location (hence not wishing to have to change them, unless proven necessary).

c) I've had no further TT602 events

d) last TT602 event was 15 Oct

e) last event of any sort (prior to yesterday) was 19 Oct (TT601)

f) therefore, i've had over 2 weeks ability to send without error, without a password change.

Without any evidence from talk-talk e.g. stats or detail why TT602 was triggered in the first place (for example, send IPs) - hence why i asked about detail on connected devices (which you answered helpfully) - it makes it more difficult to track. Of course, talktalk know the send IPs because otherwise there'd be no evidence to trigger the TT602 event.

What i 'think' may have happened is that i had my outlook client open on my PC and may have polled emails on my phone over 4G. I use 4G when i'm out but will normally switch back to wifi at home.

I will ordinarily always shut off my PC before going out AND switch back to wifi at home but i guess there's a possibility that these two events might not have happened on the occasions that I got the TT602 stuff.

Just seems odd that it's never been an issue until very recently i.e that this coincidence has never happened before. Devices used and apps haven't changed for years.

The alternative explanation is that TalkTalk's TT602 detection config has become more restrictive.

regards,

Gary

0 Likes

Message 11 of 31

@Ady-TalkTalk wrote:

Hi gazzawazza, the limits on sending are rolling meaning that there's no start stop time. The best way to get out of the catch22 you're in is to stop sending for a full 25 hours from the time of the last mail you sent. The clock and the counter will then be reset.

Ady

thanks Ady

Ok - i grasp the TT502 implications i.e. give it 25 hours from the last error.

However, in the email send details i previous posted, i'd got my last TT501 @ 15.08

Presumably the 1 hr block starts then?

I then waited until 16.16 to send again. That was when i got TT502

That's over an hour (though technically only around 7-8 mins over)

How long therefore do i have to wait in a TT501 event?

EDIT: finally, i've been looking at my sent emails, preceding the TT501 stuff.

Wed 3rd Nov @ 14.44 was last sent email, prior to yesterday's stuff.

Then i had (on thurs 4th Nov):

14:42 - 1 recipient
14:46 - 6 recipients (incl 4 CC'd)
14.48 - 2 recipients (incl 1 CC'd)
14:49 - 1 recipient
14.52 - 3 recipients (incl 1 CC'd)

I got a bounce on the 14.52 email, though only 1 of the recipients (the CC'd one) was listed. Does that mean i'm rate limited after 12 recipients? That seems incredibly low.

regards,

Gary

0 Likes

Message 12 of 31

Hi gazzawazza, the limits on sending are rolling meaning that there's no start stop time. The best way to get out of the catch22 you're in is to stop sending for a full 25 hours from the time of the last mail you sent. The clock and the counter will then be reset.

Ady

Message 13 of 31

Do I confirm to TalkTalk Support that you did follow my advice in message 9?

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

Message 14 of 31

@Gondola wrote:

TT501 your mailbox triggered up to a 1 hour stop on sending.

TT502 your mailbox triggered up to a 24 stop on sending.

ok but i gave it over an hour from the last 501 and now i'm seemingly being punished with a 24 suspension?

For what started with total of 23 recipients within an hour?

Which is not excessive anyway.

Just to be clear, I got a TT502 for the 16.16 mail attempt (which was 1hr 8 mins after my last TT501). Message was to 3 recipients (incl 1 CC'd)

I then tried at 17.43. Another TT502 (not realising the implications). 1 email to 2 recipients (incl 1 CC'd).

There is simply something not functioning correctly here.

Please can this be escalated to mail support?

Message 15 of 31

TT501 your mailbox triggered up to a 1 hour stop on sending.

TT502 your mailbox triggered up to a 24 stop on sending.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 31

@Gondola wrote:

@gazzawazza wrote:

@Gondola wrote:

@gazzawazza wrote:

@Gondola wrote:

The maximum number of concurrent IMAP connections from the same IP address is 30. That is not an issue as the TT602 error is detection of connections from different IP addresses that are not in the same geographic area.

The current TalkTalk platform software does not allow the user to view connected devices / IP addresses nor to view / disconnect specific devices / IP addresses.  This security feature is available in newer versions of Open-Xchange software that I have asked to be included in a future TalkTalk Mail upgrade. 

Therefore I have given you guidance on how you the user should:

• Log out device connections by changing the mailbox password
  • Wait 24 hours to ensure that the TalkTalk rate limiter is relaxed
    This is a limit set on sending mail not on receiving mail. You can still receive mail into your mailbox although it's best not to send mail whilst rate limiting is enforced because that may just lengthen the time taken to fully remove the sending limit
  • Sign in to just TalkTalk Mail webmail to fully test before reconnecting your other devices

But if you haven't followed the advice, the issue persists.

What more can I say other than have a good weekend.

Thanks for the IMAP information and at least your request for better connection management (obviously depends whether anyone listens to you).

I've not had a TT602 for a while thankfully (since 15 Oct).

Had 1 TT602 on the 19 oct. Should have read 1 x TT601 on the 19 Oct

Unfortunately today, work emails are not being delivered. This is interfering with planning an event and is a significant hindrance.

TT501 now.

Today's sum total of emails sent through my lineone account:

14:42 today - 1 recipient
14:46 today - 6 recipients (incl 4 CC'd)
14.28 14.48 today - 2 recipients (incl 1 CC'd)
14:49 today - 1 recipient
14.52 today - 3 recipients (incl 2 CC'd) (incl 1 CC'd)
15:07 today - 2 recipients
15:08 today - 8 recipients (incl  6 CC'd)

I counted 23 recipients in total, across the 7 messages.

The first 4 emails went ok - got undeliverables for the last 3.

All messages were sent from same device and same client.

Other clients are on the local network but NOT sending emails.

Presumably I've exceeded a recipient cap per hour?

What's the reset time?

thanks,

Gary

1 hour

ty

np

EDIT: unfortunately 1 hour didn't work

Assumption made: 1 hour from last message that bounced (1st bounce was 14.51, last was 15.08).

Tried to resend @ 16.16 - surely that should have worked?

Don't wish to try again until i understand exactly what the limitation is (because it seems to be more than  an hour).

@Gondola 

EDIT: Tried sending (new message) to 2 recipients @ 17.43.

TT502.

It's clearly not just a 1 hr suspension.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 31

@gazzawazza wrote:

@Gondola wrote:

@gazzawazza wrote:

@Gondola wrote:

The maximum number of concurrent IMAP connections from the same IP address is 30. That is not an issue as the TT602 error is detection of connections from different IP addresses that are not in the same geographic area.

The current TalkTalk platform software does not allow the user to view connected devices / IP addresses nor to view / disconnect specific devices / IP addresses.  This security feature is available in newer versions of Open-Xchange software that I have asked to be included in a future TalkTalk Mail upgrade. 

This is a limit set on sending mail not on receiving mail. You can still receive mail into your mailbox although it's best not to send mail whilst rate limiting is enforced because that may just lengthen the time taken to fully remove the sending limit
  • Sign in to just TalkTalk Mail webmail to fully test before reconnecting your other devices

Thanks for the IMAP information and at least your request for better connection management (obviously depends whether anyone listens to you).

Had 1 TT602 on the 19 oct.

Unfortunately today, work emails are not being delivered. This is interfering with planning an event and is a significant hindrance.

TT501 now.

14.28 today - 2 recipients (incl 1 CC'd)
14.52 today - 3 recipients (incl 2 CC'd)

What's the reset time?

thanks,

Gary

1 hour

ty

np

0 Likes

Message 18 of 31

@Gondola wrote:

@gazzawazza wrote:

@Gondola wrote:

TT501 now.

What's the reset time?

thanks,

Gary

1 hour

ty

@Gondola 

EDIT: unfortunately 1 hour didn't work

Assumption made: 1 hour from last message that bounced (1st bounce was 14.51, last was 15.08).

Just tried to resend @ 16.16 - surely that should have worked?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 31

@gazzawazza wrote:

@Gondola wrote:

Had 1 TT602 on the 19 oct.

TT501 now.

14.28 today - 2 recipients (incl 1 CC'd)
14.52 today - 3 recipients (incl 2 CC'd)

What's the reset time?

thanks,

Gary

1 hour

0 Likes

Message 20 of 31

@Gondola wrote:

TT501 now.

What's the reset time?

thanks,

Gary

0 Likes