email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying (and failing) to Use 2nd Email account for Wife

mjones21
Conversation Starter
Message 23 of 23

We use Outlook for our primary email account, pop3 setup. Have just purchsed new Dell xps13" for wife to use & I'm attemping to setup an IMAP email account using a second TalkTalk email address.

I was following the directions in this talktalk post:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Email-settings-IMAP-amp-POP3/ta-p/2204399

written by TalkTalk & cannot get it to work. Please help.

Best regards,

Mike

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

Message 1 of 23

Hi mjones21, thanks for marking Gondola's post as the best answer and thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 23

Good that we got you a result. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

mjones21
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 23

@Gondola 

Hi Gondola,

Success - I never even new the  link: https://www.talktalk.co.uk/my/manage-email existed. I would simply login to MYACCOUNT or MAIL & that would be it. Within MAIL I was using the "add Email" link. I had literally never seen the page your link took me to. That was all I needed, problem solved & thank you very much. I just scratch my head & wonder why TalkTalk have burried the link so deeply in it's menu system? No need to change browser or suspend AV cover - this page just did it......and it worked!

Thanks again,

Best regards,

Mike

Message 4 of 23

Hi Mike

Please recognise that the auto-configuration will fail if the email address or password is incorrect. If the email address does not exist on the Mail platform the auto-configuration will fail.

This is why I asked you to go back to MyAccount and positively confirm that you see the new email address listed in your customer MyAccount, My Mailboxes list.  Select here: https://www.talktalk.co.uk/my/manage-email

I need to know that you have successfully created the email address by seeing it listed in your customer MyAccount and then that you can sign in to the mailbox to prove it's live on the TalkTalk Mail platform.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your newly created email address and its password, select Sign in.

Let us know of any error message.

If you need to return to creating the new email address here are TalkTalk's instructions:

1. To get started log into My Account
  2. Select My services from the toolbar
  3. Choose Manage TalkTalk Mail 
  4. Now select Create a mailbox
  5. Type in the Email address and password
    The green ticks serve only to indicate that the characters are a valid entry not that the address is available
  6. Select Create to continue
    The address will be validated
  7. You will see a green banner message indicating success and the address will be listed below

The route to creating a mailbox in your MyAccount is illustrated by these screenshots.

In MyAccount select Manage TalkTalk Mail.

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount - My Services Menu.png

And select Create a mailbox

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount - Create a mailbox.png

The process can fail even after the apparent acceptance of green ticks for the local part of the talktalk.net email address because the green tick is just checking the validity of the input characters. 

Only when the password is entered and validated does the system check that the email address has not already been created.

The error message is not helpful in this regard because all you have to do is retry until you do find a new unique email address never before used.  The active email address database and the archive database are checked. For security, you cannot recreate an old email address even though it's not active. 

Error - Create a mailbox.png

When you've successfully created a new and unique mailbox address you'll see that address added to the My Mailboxes list and a green success banner will be shown.

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount - Confirmation of creating a mailbox.png

mjones21
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 23

@Gondola,

Hi Gondola,

I have tried in vain to duplicate your success. Using an entirely unique email address & password, disabling ALL AV (MBytes & Defender), using a different browser (latest copy of MS Edge).

The system does not question the uniqueness of the email address & accepts the password. After that success, it is all down hill. The system fails to make a secure connection:

talktalk - No Secure Connection2021-09-24.jpg

The system then fails to auto-configure the connection for me:

talktalk Auto-Config Failure-2021-09-24.jpg

Hence I am left with a choice to manually configure the connection (as I mentioned previously, this is why I was required to know the port settings & various server names. At this point I cancelled the procedure as nothing appeared to be proceeding correctly.

Would it be possible for you to post screen captures of the procedure behaving correctly as I must still be doing something incorrectly?

Best regards,

Mike

0 Likes

Message 6 of 23

Hi Mike

Just to add that I have re-tested the TalkTalk Mail platform process for adding a talktalk.net mail account as a secondary account.

• Deleted an existing secondary account via the Primary account login and Account settings
  • Returned to the Primary account folder view
  • Selected Add email account
  • Entered the full email address
  • Entered the password
  • Selected Add
  • Waited for the auto-configuration to be set up
  • Got a confirmation pop-up top centre of screen
  • Email address appeared in the Primary account folder view

I conclude that there is no platform fault in adding a secondary talktalk.net account because it auto-configures exactly as expected.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 23

In a logical sequence, start with the essentials.

Do you see the new email address listed in your MyAccount?

If yes, then can you sign in to the new mailbox via the TalkTalk Mail sign in?

mjones21
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 23

@Gondola.,

I'll try to follow your instruction but you seem to be ignoring the facts that the TalkTalk system is NOT behaving as it should e.g. it should autoconfigure the correct settings for me  - it does not. It should make a 'secure' connection  & not give me a warning that it cannot & the only options given are to abandon my input (cancel) or "ignore warnings"  - no explanation of potential consequences?

And you do not offer any explanation other than the catch-all AV explanation. Is this a case of just ignore the facts? You tell me what I should see when, "successfully creating an email address you should see a green banner message and the email address will be listed in your customer MyAccount." 

You do not tell me how to manage the errors the TalkTalk sytem is producing? On all PC's I have windows10 Pro, Malwarebytes AV & I'm using the Firefox browser.

I'll happily disable MB & use another browser e.g. MS Explorer or Edge. The only AV I will have running is the in-built Windows Defender - is that OK?

Best regards,

Mike

Best regards,

Mike

0 Likes

Message 9 of 23

Hi Mike

On successfully creating an email address you should see a green banner message and the email address will be listed in your customer MyAccount. 

It will take a few minutes for the email address to be fully authenticated as active on the TalkTalk Mail platform. 

Check that you can sign in to the new mailbox and, whilst there, set up password recovery reset details. 

Sign out and then sign in to your own mailbox to select the Add email account function. You should then be able to add the new email address using the full email address and its password. 

Just in case something is disrupting the connection make sure you have no security software running that could be encrypting the connection. Pause things like McAfee, Norton, AVG and Kaspersky that may block necessary cookies or be using a VPN. Some browsers like Opera and Brave can also cause similar issues. 

0 Likes

mjones21
Conversation Starter
Message 10 of 23

@Gondola,

Apologies for bothering you again. But in it's inimitable fashion I failed to setup the new email account thanks to the TalkTalk system not behving as you stated it should. I got the following screen shots:

This might explain why I ended up trying to configure things manually & needed to know port numbers & STL/SSL/StartSTL settings!

Again, apologies for this,

Best regards,

Mike

TalkTalk - add email account.jpgTalkTalk - config error-config manually.jpgTalkTalk - secure connection warning.jpg

0 Likes

Message 11 of 23

Hi Mike

No worries. Yes go ahead and create some additional talktalk.net addresses. Make the local part of the address unique because many of the simple addresses will have been taken and the system will ask you to retry if an existing address is found but only when the check is made of both address and password.

The existing but not accessible TalkTalk email address will remain available for recovery for up to 180 days without signing in but after that time would get flagged for deletion.  So, you can always come back and request the password reset details be set up so long as this happens before the 6 months is up. Or when you're positive you don't need the address just select Delete from your MyAccount and, after confirming, the email address and mailbox would be permanently erased and not recoverable or recreatable.

If you need any support at any time then you're welcome to return.

In the meantime your go to resource is the TalkTalk Mail Support Hub

Select here: TalkTalk Mail Support Hub

mjones21
Conversation Starter
Message 12 of 23

Hi Gondola,

After consulting with the wife, we have decided to, "Delete the email address and create some new ones yourself" . Presumably I can create a new one before the problem account is deleted - as we are well inside the TalkTalk limit?

But before you metaphorically ride off into the sunset, I just want to thank you for your patience & persistence - they are both hugely appreciated.

Thanks & stay safe,

Best regards,

Mike.............and her.

Message 13 of 23

Hi Mike

I'll answer this in two parts.

First, your wife hasn't set up password recovery for her email address so when the password is lost or forgotten it cannot be changed. But TalkTalk Support can verify you as the account holder assuming your wife's email address is already added to your customer MyAccount. They'll set up password recovery reset details so you can set a new password and then that'll give access via webmail and you'll be able to add the account as a secondary account via your own TalkTalk Mail mailbox sign in. As I mentioned before this setup just requires the email address and password and it'll automatically get set up without the faff of manually set up of ports and connection security etc.

Yes you can have up to 5 talktalk.net email addresses created via your customer MyAccount.  These will be registered in your name as the account holder but you can 'give' email addresses to your family to use. You would retain management of the mailboxes via your customer MyAccount. This management includes changing password and permanently deleting the email address and mailbox.

So, just let me know what you'd like to do.

• Retain the existing address and have password recovery set up for a password change
  • Delete the email address and create some new ones yourself

If retention of the address then I'll alert TalkTalk Support to request this for you.

mjones21
Conversation Starter
Message 14 of 23

Hi Gondola,

I tried following your link & unfortunately the only option to reset the problem email account password(my wife's new email address) was to send the reset link to the problem account.

TalkTalk Password Reset 2021-09-23.jpg

As we cannot login to my wife's new email account, it was something of a circular logic problem!

Question:- Would it simply be easier to delete (abandon) this email address & start afresh. I know TalkTalk makes mention of the ability to have 'up to 5 mailboxes' - are these talktalk.net email accounts or simply for existing email accounts (e.g. a pre-existing gmail account). The contract with TalkTalk is in my name & we have always used a joint email address. If we have a second email address for my wife, I would like it to be a "talktalk.net" email address. Is this possible (when the account is in my name)?

Best regards,

Mike

0 Likes

Message 15 of 23

Hi mjones21 

OK, so either the entered email address or password is not recognised.

The Reset password now button in the help page  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery.  If the email address is still active on the TalkTalk Mail platform and you have set up password recovery options (the reset details) you can send the alternate email address a link or the mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

My recommendation is to upgrade from the minimum required password security and use a password of 12-15 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol. Created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox. The Internet browser that you use for TalkTalk Mail may also offer to generate a secure password and will save the login and password for you.

Let us know if you get a no domain error message or if you see more than a single reset option and can change the password via a password recovery option.

mjones21
Conversation Starter
Message 16 of 23

Hi Gondola,

I followed your very clear instructions, logging into webmail with my primary details & changing the password on my wife's email address - I'm absolutely certain the password is correct even though there is no facility to 'view' the entry.

I then logged fully out & tried to login using my wife's details - and I got the following error:

mjones21_0-1632388468672.png

We are long-term TT customers, since 2012 & have landline + Fibre65 contract (FTTC)

Best regards,

Mike

0 Likes

Message 17 of 23

Hi mjones21 

OK, you're signed in to your talktalk mail account via the TalkTalk Mail sign in. You have your wife's email address added as a secondary account.  The error message means that the password for the secondary account needs to be updated.

Additional email address error disabled

• Select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the cog icon)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select Accounts in the left side panel
  • Select the secondary account Edit function
    a window will open
  • Correct the password
  • Select the Save button

If you have the correct password then the secondary account will work once more provided it has not been limited to webmail access only via its own sign in.

To check that the mailbox is active, sign out of your TalkTalk Mail mailbox as you can only sign in to one mailbox at a time via the same browser.

Then try the sign in to your wife's email address via the TalkTalk Mail sign in.  If you get the incorrect password error message then let me know your customer status and if the email address in question is added to an active TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount.

mjones21
Conversation Starter
Message 18 of 23

Hello Gondola,

Thanks for persisting with me. But I am failing abysmally....sorry.

I can login to webmail (or Outlook) fine with the Primary account. But my wife's secondary account now shows the error message:

Error
"Your e-mail account xxxxx.amazon@talktalk.net was disabled due to invalid credentials. Please edit the account and enter correct credentials to enable it again"

Apologies for being a bit old & dim on this one.
Best regards,
Mike
0 Likes

Message 19 of 23

Hi mjones21 

For webmail access using an Internet browser to access a TalkTalk mailbox you just need an active email address and the current email password.  There is no setup of ports and connection security etc as that's all done for you. Internet browser access uses an IMAP connection to the mailbox.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your wife's email address and its password, select Sign in.

Just confirm you can sign in ok and see the mailbox folders and emails.

If you then wish to set up an Outlook email account, the first thing to confirm is that you're a current TalkTalk home broadband customer and that the email address in question is added to the customer MyAccount and is shown in the My Mailboxes list.

Let us know if you're a TalkTalk Consumer customer taking a full-fibre service. Manage TalkTalk Mail options are not yet included in the full-fibre MyAccount management.

Managing your email in My Account

mjones21
Conversation Starter
Message 20 of 23

Hi Gondola,

The error message I was getting in relation to my entry (above) was "The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider. Please change them."

I tried changing the password to our working email one but that failed. Basically I do not know what the message means - it is as clear as mud to me!  I'm assuming the email account is correct as it is listed by TalkTalk - hence I changed the password.

Best regards,

Mike

0 Likes