email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT - Can't Send Lineone Emails From 3 Different Devices

alimair
Participant
Message 25 of 25

I am unable to send emails from my lineone.net email account.

From my Outlook set-up, I get a prompt to enter my password.

From my iPhone set-up (iOS 14.71) I get a message "Cannot Send Mail - The sender address was invalid"

From my iPad set-up ( I get a message "Cannot Send Mail - The username or password for xxxxxxx is incorrect".

They can all receive emails, just not send them.

The username and password are correct - I can successfully login to webmail to see my account.. 

Regards
Alastair
0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Hi allmair, as Gondola says uptake of our notifications is low low low. We carefully monitor the amount of mail opened when we send out notifications and it's at an all time high now of 10 percent. Meaning 90 percent of our customers ignore or spam filter the mails we send out with new information about changes and updates. You'll see plenty of stickies advising customers of best practices to eliminate problems. Unfortunately, most don't come to the community unless they've already got a problem. 

We try our best to let customers know about changes but it needs cooperation. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 25

Ah, yes, a classic one of trying to encourage users to upgrade settings and passwords. I have had sticky posts for months at the head of the email forum to try and encourage users to upgrade. Removed at present. Links below.

We know from users and TalkTalk Support that the uptake of advice in emails is very low.  A lot of people just don't make changes until a fail happens.

Upgrade your legacy mail settings
Upgrade your legacy mail password

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 25

As I the advice I received (and the action I took) was to change both the Incoming and Outgoing server names and to change my password, I thought that Talk Talk might at least have sent me an email to advise that changes would be required and to tell me what they were BEFORE it became a problem. Not really rocket science....

Regards
Alastair
0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

Hi alimair 

Ady's not here right now. What notification would you have expected to receive?  Asking so that we're aware of customer expectations in the use of TalkTalk Mail.

Message 5 of 25

Yes, it is.

Why didn't Talk Talk notify me so I could make the changes in advance?

Regards
Alastair
0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

Yes, it is.

Why didn't Talk Talk notify me so I could make the changes in advance?

Regards
Alastair
0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Hi alimair, is everything working for you now?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 25

Hi alimair,

How are you getting on, has Gondola's advice helped?

Chris

Message 9 of 25

Avoid using the connection by VPN if at the same time connecting outside of the VPN. The mail server will treat the geographic separation of access points as suspicious and will rate limit to protect against theoretical spam. 

Sign out of all devices and sign in just to one at a time whilst carrying out this trouble shooting. 

For the iPhone the username and password indicate as optional but they're required along with authentication set to Password. 

alimair
Participant
Message 10 of 25

On my PC I use use Norton VPN.

I've just removed the email account from the iPhone, power cycleed the device and re-added the email account but same issue on sending "sender address invalid...see attached screenshots...

I'm going to leave it for 24 hours now to see if anything "settles down".... I may be back !!!

Regards
Alastair
0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

You may need to remove the email account from the device, power cycle the device and re-add the email account to correct these 'glitches'. And remember to save the new password.

You haven't said if your device security is using a VPN or if you're using a standalone VPN.  And heads up that rate limiting may take up to 24 hours to be released depending on the reason for that rate limiting being applied.

I'd need to see screenshots so I can see what's set up in each device for incoming and outgoing server settings.  Why not start with the iPhone?  It'll be fairly easy to confirm if the settings are good.

TalkTalk support via LiveChat is here: Our LiveChat team.  Scroll down and wait for the light blue button to appear to Chat now; Grey button when LiveChat is busy or offline.

LiveChat and current contact opening hours are here: Contact TalkTalk during Coronavirus restrictions. Tip: Pause ad-blockers and similar blocking software to avoid conflict with LiveChat's operation.

Calls to Customer Services / Tech Support on 0345 172 0088.

For calls to Customer Service agents from a mobile, call 0203 441 5550.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

So I've changed the password on my TalkTalk Account and for Outlook that seemed to have resolved it, but having successfully sent a couple of test emails it's now prompting me for account cxredentials again !!!!!

For the iPhone and iPad the verification process rejects the email address and password for outgoig, but accepts using just the password - neither can send emails - iPhone says "The sender address was invalid" ???? iPad says "Unable To Send Email" - ...The sender address "xxxxxxxx" was rejected by the server?

Any further suggestions ?  Is there a phone number to call TalkTalk Support?

Regards
Alastair
0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

So, not a total restriction on sending. Looking more like rate limiting the sending because of a weak or compromised password. So, I'd still recommend upgrading the password before further testing. And when setting up the email client don't use 'same settings as incoming server' but put the lineone email address as username for the outgoing smtp server and use the upgraded email password.

Are you using secure ports and connection security? As per the email settings table?  Screenshots are the quickest way to confirm here.  Other than the password we can usually see any issues or tell you that everything looks good.

Heads up that rate limiting does kick in if multiple device logins are detected from different geogaphic access points and this can happen if using a VPN hosted in another country.

0 Likes

alimair
Participant
Message 14 of 25

I thought I had my Outlook sending issues by changing the server settings to the generic mail.talktalk.net and smtp.talktalk.net - I successfully sent 2 test emails to another email account I hold with another provider, but on testing for a 3rd time it has prompted me for Account Settings again !!!  Any ideas?

Despite changing both the iPhone and iPad settings to these servers, they still refuse to send.

Regards
Alastair
0 Likes

Message 15 of 25

Do you need help to upgrade the password?

Changing your email password

0 Likes

alimair
Participant
Message 16 of 25

Thanks.  I have just changed the server settings on my iPad to use the talktalk servers (it was set to Tiscali) but  when I now try to send an email I get a new message "The sender address xxxxxxx was rejected by the server"... this was sent on smtp.talktalk.net

I can receive emails ok on here... e.g. the notifcations that you have replied to my posts...

Regards
Alastair
0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

In which case no limiting of the email account should apply and TalkTalk can check that for you.

The other issues that will stop the outgoing smtp server accepting your mail send are a weak / compromised password and not using the talktalk.net host name. If the password is weak or lineone.net or tiscali.co.uk are set in the email clients/apps then I'd simply upgrade the password and update the server settings as required.

Let us know if that's fixed the issue and then TalkTalk Support will not need to check the account.

If you need help with the incoming and outgoing server settings and it's not covered in my post on upgrading legacy settings then take screenshots, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here so I can see what you see.

0 Likes

alimair
Participant
Message 18 of 25

The annual subscription was paid in December, so it's up to date. It's on Direct Debit.

Regards
Alastair
0 Likes

Message 19 of 25

If you are a TalkTalk Mail Plus subscriber and the lineone email address is shown in the customer MyAccount then restriction will or should apply only if the subscription has lapsed. A missing payment will trigger limiting of the mail service as explained in the help page:

"Your email account will be reduced to a basic service and eventually deleted if we're unable to collect payment. If this happens your service will be restored once full payment has been made via My Account or by getting in touch with us. "

What's the status regarding payment?

TalkTalk can check the status but you'll need to complete your Community profile as advised so the support team can locate your MailPlus account.

0 Likes

alimair
Participant
Message 20 of 25

I beleive I am subscribed to Talk Talk Mail Plus?  I pay an annual fee for my lineone account...

Regards
Alastair
0 Likes