email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to ADD TalkTalk.net account to my Mac

bmackay
Participant
Message 13 of 13

Good Morning All

Recently had issues with sending e-mail via my Mac using TT so deleted it to do a fresh install and can't get logged in.

The Mac mail app is very simple, after inserting my e-mail address and password (which was changed yesterday) I hit the continue button and it tries to log in but just buffers along without any errors coming up after 30 mins.

I can log in to my TT webmail with the same details without issue.

Ive checked the Mac advice and how to, all is straight forward.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi @bmackay

The error message usually is seen only when there's an issue with establishing a secure connection.

So either the secure connection is being blocked, for example, by internet security software - Kaspersky Internet Security has been known to do this - or there are network issues.

Are you connected directly to the TalkTalk broadband network?

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi Gondola

that's exactly how I'm entering all the details and still not connecting.

Been to another wifi connection and same error message.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi @bmackay 

When you set up Spark email these are the settings you need:

Settings > Mail Accounts > Add Account > Set Up Account Manually

Enter your email address and password and select Open Advanced Settings

Email: Full email address
Incoming Mail Server (IMAP)

• User name: Full email address
  • Password: Your email password
  • Server: mail.talktalk.net
  • Port: 993
  • Security: SSL

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)

• User name: Full email address
  • Password: Your email password
  • Server: smtp.talktalk.net
  • Port: 587
  • Security: STARTTLS

Select Log In

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Hi

The gibberish certainly brought the required response but the only new info that I could add were the server addresses, same outcome, just continued to buffer along trying to log in.

now trying another email app, this time I can enter all the info needed for a manual input BUT it still doesn't work, returns error message every time "a stable connection to the server could not be established".

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

OK, where you should be and what you should be seeing is something like this:

Screenshot 2019-04-26 at 12.15.33.png

Click on the + sign on the bottom to set up a new account. Try typing gibberish in the name and account boxes and it will force you to set up manually. Use the settings provided by @Gondola.

And/or if you haven't done so already try force quitting Mail - press alt/cmd/esc together - and see if that helps.

EDIT: Cross-posted with above.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

I was in touch with Apple re another issue and they directed me to this page which details the settings in the mail app, which I can't get at, does this have any baring on it?

the port numbers differ and also the yes/no items from TT???????????????

*image removed as it contains personal information*

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

...the Mac Mail isn't playing nicely at all or is being stopped in its tracks.

TalkTalk Webmail is working so you've got that to keep you going and it proves the email account exists and will sign you in. You can always test with another email client to prove that the issue is isolated to Mac Mail.

You clearly know what should happen:

• Mail
  • Add Account
  • Select Add Other Mail Account
  • Enter name
    Full Email address
    Password
  • Auto-discover will try to set up the account by verifying with the TalkTalk servers

Clearly this bit isn't happening.  To make sure that something isn't stopping the connection do temporarily disable any other apps that could be impacting the setup. I'm particularly thinking of Internet Security apps.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

there is no TalkTalk account listed, I'm trying to add it.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Gondola

Yes its connected to the internet but I can't get into the mail preferences, that option isn't highlighted. I understand what your driving at, if I could I would and ensure all the settings are per TT requirements.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

...so assuming your MAC is connected to the Internet, if you select Mail > Preferences > Accounts is there a TalkTalk account there?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

Hi

It just keeps buffering with no error message appearing for the incorrect password.

I'm aware of the revised settings required (had them inserted prior to deleting it all) but I'm unable to access the preferences to input them as I can't get past the first step.

thnx

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

Hi @bmackay 

The Mail app will try to set up automatically.  But it may require a manual setup.

If you don't see an option presented for a manual setup then try to force one by (just the once) putting in the wrong password.  When the auto-setup fails it should automatically default to manual settings.

The Talktalk.net IMAP settings are in this article: Email settings - IMAP or POP3 

0 Likes