Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to receive emails

61 REPLIES 61
CamMike
Popular Poster

At around 11am this morning (Friday 25th Sept), my email@dial.pipex.com stopped receiving emails.  I sent a test email from both my dial.pipex email and my outlook.com email.  Neither arrived.  I had an online chat with the tech guy and he said that they know they have a problem associated with the Upgrade, but that they do not expect it to be fixed until Tuesday (29th Sept).

Are other dial.pipex.com users experiencing the same issues?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @CamMike 

There are some reports associated with dial.pipex mailboxes. Nothing on Service Status so if Tech Support know of an issue it's not being made widely known.

Did you get any further details of where the issue is? 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

CamMike
Popular Poster

No.  He just apologised that there was a problem without expanding on what the issue was. He did say that when the service resumed the emails sent would not have been lost and all should appear in my inbox.  I hope that is true.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @CamMike 

If mail is accepted for delivery then it will be stored awaiting onward transmission to a mailbox.

Onto the receiving of email in an email client - another member has just popped in to say that changing the incoming server host name in the email client settings has worked to collect email for him.

The change made was for the incoming server name

• From pop.dial.pipex.com
  • Change to pop.talktalk.net

No promises but if you're willing to make that change it may well work to collect your mail.

Do let us know if that's an effective workaround.

Bridewell
First Timer

It is, I suppose, reassuring to know that I am not alone. I have exactly the same problem, except with dsl.pipex, and changing the incoming server name didn't work.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Bridewell 

Thanks for the confirmation that the change of server name isn't a one hit fix after all.

I assume your mailbox is awaiting the upgrade to the TalkTalk Mail platform?

CamMike
Popular Poster

Dear Gondola, Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but no change. Still no emails arriving.

Critchley
First Timer

Thank you so much for the tip about pop.Talktalk.net - it worked!

cavedweller
Chat Champion

Didn't work for me. 

Haven't had the "downgrade complete" message yet.

Troglodyte
Bernera1
First Timer

Same here, no incoming emails on dsl.pipex via Windows LiveMail since yesterday Friday 25/9/20, incoming server name change  to talktalk.net didn't work for me.

Will await events.

ico99
Team Player

See my other thread for details - but incoming emails to @dial.pipex.com stopped for me early yesterday evening (at least).

Mailbox not upgraded - when I go to the 'new' Webmail, I get the 'olde' webmail - but showing 0 emails having arrived.

Captain_Deltic
Chatterbox

My dial.pipex.com account stopped receiving e-mails at 10.00 yesterday (Friday 25 September).  Except that one came through at 17.41.

I tried the change of server to pop.talktalk.net with no success.

Are tech support  really saying it will take until Tuesday to sort the problem? So why is there no official response here?

Captain_Deltic
Critchley
First Timer

My wife and I lost incoming @dial.Pipex.com emails from the Mail app on our iPhones and iPads immediately after the “upgrade” at 9pm on Thursday evening. Outlook on our PC was unaffected. 
I rang Talktalk technical support on Friday and, after about 20 minutes of being asked questions I’d already answered followed by long silences, was told by the unhelpful woman that Talktalk no longer supports Pipex email addresses and that I should use Google to find a solution. 
Having had our Pipex email address for well over 20 years and as Talktalk supply our broadband and phone line I find that preposterous. 
Luckily there is advice in this chat to change the incoming server to pop.Talktalk.net, which solved the problem. Why on earth couldn’t technical support tell me that?

We’ve been considering changing to BT for some time and this is probably the final straw for this loyal customer. 
apologies for the rant!

cavedweller
Chat Champion

It has gone worse for me now. I had the optimistic hope that my emails would eventually be delivered to my in-box but one of my friends has rung me up to tell me that she has had 2 emails bounced back. So yet another fairy tale from talktalk.

Troglodyte
GEG63
Whizz Kid

Yes I have that problem too as it seems a host of people with pipex email addresses (I have a separate thread in this forum about it). Strangely, my wife can access her new mailbox OK and send and receive emails but I get the old legacy logon page and can only receive emails from her (and me) emails even though its the same email account (I use Outlook as my email client). We both had emails saying our email box had been upgraded.

I can send emails provided I don't use the recommended port settings but use my original ones without SSL.

I  anticipated that Talk Talk might cause me email problems with the upgrade so beforehand switched  a lot of my accounts to my Yahoo address which is always reliable, 

My contract is due for renewal in a couple of weeks but I have deliberately held off renewing it to see how they handled the email migration.

Not surprised that the phone service hadn't a clue what to do and clearly knew nothing about the email migration. They probably know nothing about the legacy email addresses that Talk Talk still have.Your better off with the OCEs on this forum.

ico99
Team Player

Emails from non-Pipex account to accounts @dial.pipex.com not arriving either via desktop Outlook or webmail (only olde style webmail seemingly being offered).

But not being bounced either, at least for yours truly.

Unfortunately I had given a Pipex account email to a company some time ago which is now in the middle of a financial transaction with me... so hopefully soon sorted (my own fault for automatically giving them the Pipex address, when I was aware of 'things happening' down the line).

rogerq
First Timer

Yep, likewise...I'm using Thunderbird and have received nothing since Friday.

Yes, I too have a dial.pipex.com account and have not received email since Friday morning.  I spent a while on a chat with Talktalk yesterday.    I eventually learnt there was an issue, but was given no indication of how long it would take to fix.  To me there is a question why an organisation would do a major upgrade during a pandemic when their users may be even more reliant on email to support their lives.

ChiffChaffs
First Timer

Yes, no Pipex emails (several accounts) since Friday 25th September. It would be courteous if it was at least mentioned on the TalkTalk service status webpage.

pbar100
Enlightened One

The service status page isn't fit for purpose unfortunately, as it seldom shows when there are problems. Unfortunately Talktalk support is very poor and slow, and we might as well all just wait for a few days to see what happens.

The domain change in email settings doesn't work for me either. And like many others I've had no emails on my Pipex/Talktalk for a couple of days now. I'm thankful that I have my mail redirected to a never failing Hotmail account as cover for when the Talktalk issues arise, which have been numerous over the years.