email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send E-mails

segundus
Team Player
Message 12 of 12

Hi,
I am unable to send e-mails around shortly after the first Talk talk e-mail migration notification on 17th. Sept..
After this notification I found that I could receive Talk-talk but not One-tel e-mails.
So I went to the forum and found advice to update settings for e-mail. I found mine were outdated but had worked so I changed to your new recommended including port settings.. I am using Thunderbird and found before and now that the IMAP settings would not work but the POP3 settings did.
After this change I found that my talk-talk and one-tel e-mail downloads were working again.
It was only when attempting to SEND an e-mail that I Failed with :-
"Login to server smtp.talktalk.net with username failed". followed by "Enter your password for username on smtp.talktalk.net".
Entering my password failed so I went to my TalkTalk account and checked and re-entered my e-mail password which is and was the same for both.
Still unable to send E-mails. I checked the last e-mail sent was27th September I think prior to my setting changes to restore one-tel mail.
my new settings are as below:- STUPID SYSTEM it appears that one is not able to post .jpg files so it would take an age to type all in - they are however all at your forum posted settings.

Can you advise please.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi segundus, thanks for posting back to let us know that with Gondola's support you managed to get this sorted. If a particular post from Gondola helped to fix this please mark it as best answer to acknowledge the help and to help others find the way to the fix more quickly. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 12

PS just a reminder:

Please review your onetel password strength and follow the advice here to update password security after setting up password recovery Reset details.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 12

Hi segundus 

Phew! I am delighted that you're back in action so quickly. Thanks for taking time out to let us know. We always appreciate your feedback.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Thank you,

Did as advised now able to send and receive e-mails.

Message 5 of 12

Hi segundus 

I've looked at and removed the images from public display and moved them all to your hidden Community image folder. The inclusion of an email address in public is just an open invitation to get spammed.

You appear to have set up the smtp.talktalk.net Username as your broadband username i.e. telephone number@talktalk.net. This will not work.  The username needs to be the full talktalk.net email address.

However, using these credentials for the onetel mailbox will also not work. The username needs to be the full onetel email address.

You are also using a mix of insecure and secure settings.

I suggest you save wanted mail messages that are downloaded from the mailboxes into a local folder so they're safe from deletion.  Then delete both accounts from Thunderbird and start over with adding afresh.

Message 6 of 12

my settings.

obscured for customer security

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi segundus 

Community emails are no-reply and not monitored. Just Reply to this thread and drag and drop a jpeg directly into this body when you're typing the message.

Or use the Insert Photos (camera or picture icon) above this Reply area to upload and insert the image.

I'm not querying your TalkTalk.net email password / the password for your MyAccount.

So, you've successfully added the onetel mailbox to your MyAccount My Mailboxes list. That's perfect. To do so would have required you to enter the correct onetel email password. So far so good. 

To change the onetel mailbox password in your MyAccount you need to enter the current onetel email password to authorise the setting of a new onetel email password. The error message indicates you did not enter the current onetel email password.

If you've set up password recovery Reset details for the onetel mailbox then you can use the Forgotten password button in this Changing your email password help page to get an authorising reset link or code sent to your recovery email address or mobile phone respectively.

I look forward to seeing the screenshots.

Message 8 of 12

Update.

As my last post, I have been attempting to send e-mail using my talk-talk address and my outgoing server is talk talk as shown in the j-pegs I have now successfully posted on talk talk site e-mail and hopefully you can view there.

I have a strong password( I believe) for my main and talk-talk e-mail accounts (they are one and the same). I added my one-tel account on talk-talk website but when I attempted to change/ add a stronger password

it posted in red:-

The email address or password you entered is incorrect. Please try again.

so am getting increasingly diss-illusioned.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Hi segundus 

Was I wrong in believing you were reporting a fail to send of mail using a onetel.com email address domain?

In practice you can use the smtp.talktalk.net outgoing server so that's not going to be the root cause of a fail to send.

Good to know that webmail sending is working ok without any error message.  How strong is your onetel password? At least 8 multicase letters and number(s)?

Message 10 of 12

Posted jpegs in the talk-talk online e-mail box(I think).

Sent myself a test message which appeared in my inbox - I forgot to note that I had allready done that previously when I first found myself unable to send e-mails,

I am using talk talk as my outgoing server so not sure why you supply on-etel settings - excuse my density.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi @segundus 

Just drag and drop a jpg file into this body Reply area. Make sure your username is obscured.

Compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Let us know of any error message, or if mail does not arrive in the Inbox or disappears from the Inbox.

Please review your onetel password strength and follow the advice here to update password security.

The onetel.com IMAP email settings you need are:

Account Type  IMAP
Username username@onetel.com
Password Yes
IMAP mail server name imap.onetel.com
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication method Normal Password
SMTP mail server name smtp.onetel.com
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication method Normal Password

The above settings are for Thunderbird and the onetel mailbox when upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform.  You'll need to update and have the Thunderbird Saved logins remember the new password. There's a tick box under the password entry box.