email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send e-mail from my iPad, phone or webmail

Judith17
Popular Poster
Message 26 of 26

I have been unable to send e-mails from my phone or iPad since yesterday.   I'm receiving the following message "The username and password for "SMTP.talktalk.net" is incorrect".  When I login via webmail I get the message "Your Browser is not supported on your current platform" and am still unable to send e-mails. My husband and children's talk talk e-mails are unaffected? 

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Hi Judith17,

Glad to hear that Gondola's advice has helped resolve the issue (thanks for updating your community profile, the private notes section is at the bottom of the community profile screen, but obviously it doesn't matter now as it's working again :))

Chris

Message 2 of 26

Great news indeed.

Thanks for confirming. As there's planned maintenance scheduled for tonight I'll sign off now and sleep well knowing you're back in action.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 26

Thanks Gondola,

Your latest tip seems to have worked.

Thanks for your help

J

Message 4 of 26

...start with the android 'phone and with that connected to your home Wi-Fi - switch mobile data off.

What model is it? What email app are you using? Have you tried the Gmail app as previously discussed?

Show me the screenshots and I'll advise further.

Message 5 of 26

Hi Gondola,

Changed the passwords on both android and ipad and updated all server settings as recommended IMAP via online help and still doesn't work!

0 Likes

Message 6 of 26

Hi Judith

Great to know that TalkTalk Mail (webmail) is working for both send and receive.

If you have changed the password then the password for the Mail apps on the android phone and iPad will also need to be changed.

I get the impression that the settings may need checking. Sometimes i-devices don't set up correctly when using the auto setup. Some native android apps also don't operate as expected. I find it's best to set up email apps manually using IMAP settings and secure SSL/TLS connections with a sign in using the email address and password. When the native android app doesn't set up and verify I've found that using the Gmail app and adding the talktalk email account to that works every time.

The recommended settings are in this article Email settings - IMAP or POP3 

But I find it's easier for me to check you have the correct settings if you take screenshots of incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and post here using the Photos icon (the camera) above this Reply area.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 26

Chris, I've tried to complete the community profile as you have instructed but I can't as:

1. I do not have a Talk Talk telephone number.

2. There is no "private notes" section to add my e-mail address.

3. There is a section for e-mail which is already populated with my e-mail address. That section asks for a new e-mail address which I haven't and don't need. I did add my original email address and I get a message saying it's an incorrect email address. 

I really do not understand. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 26

Hi Gondola, 

Thanks for your advice, it has worked for my webmail I.e. I can send and receive e-mails. However, I still can't send emails from my android phone app. I've deleted and readded the account and can emails but when sending emails I receive "require Authentication" to send email. When I do this I then receive the message "unable to connect to email server to verify account". I also cannot send emails from my ipad after deleting and resetting account, I receive the original message "the user name or password  for smtp.mail is incorrect" which is back to square 1 🤔🙈

0 Likes

Message 9 of 26

OK thanks. could you complete your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number
  • Can you also add the affected email address to the private notes section

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 26

Hi Judith

Just my, non-TalkTalk, 2p worth of advice.

The error message indicates the server is denying sending because it's detecting multiple concurrent sign ins from different geographic locations.

This is a security issue.  It can happen with mobile networks where the mobile roams from one connection to another or when you use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) in addition to a direct connection from the TalkTalk network.  But it can also happen if you've allowed other people to connect to your mailbox or if your mailbox has been compromised.

The way to fix this is to change the mailbox password to secure the account. Just use TalkTalk Mail for the moment via any compatible browser.

Sign in to TalkTalk Mail and check the Reset details are yours (Menu > Update your reset details from the drop down list). Make sure you have an alternate email address listed. Then use the Reset your Password option using the alternate email address to receive the reset link.

Message 11 of 26

Yes I'm able to access webmail from the chrome browser but unable to send messages. I've tried again twice today and received the following messages "message could not be sent to the recipient 554-554 5.2.0. 81ZViKhoto 8az Sender denied (TT608) and the same message but with the following 81a7ibRwAnuQ2.

I am still unable to send from my android phone app and ipad email app. This has gone on for over a week now and is not only frustrating but very inconvenient. Please address my full question not only part please 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 26

Hi Judith17,

So you're still able to access your webmail inbox in Chrome, but unable to send?

Do you get an error message when you try to send an email in webmail?

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 26

I have tried everything you have recommended and I can't even send via the chrome browser and webmail now. So, I have no way of sending an email at all I.e. via webmail, browser, ipad or android telephone. This is really frustrating and inconvenient, I need to be able to reply to e-mails. Please can we speak to someone to get this sorted once and for all. It's been a week now and no improvement. I authorise you to speak with my husband Mark too.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 26

Hi Judith17,

Did you have any luck with this over the weekend? Are you still experiencing the issue on both devices?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 26

I'll try following the guidance for the iPad, thank you but what do I need to do to get my e-mails sent from my android phone if the instructions in the help guide  I followed didn't work as I've previously mentioned 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 26

You'll find the help you need to setup mail on your Apple devices on the Apple website

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 26

Are you using the default apple mail app on your Ipad? 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 26

Yes to the absolute letter and still can't send emails. The guidance doesn't tell you how to change on the iPad however so that isn't resolved either

0 Likes

Message 19 of 26

Did you check your settings against those in the email settings help article?

Message 20 of 26

I followed the instructions on my android phone and am receiving the following message "Couldn't verify account" "smtp.talktalk.net isn't responding, you can continue the set up process, but you won't be able to send or receive e-mails until your account has been verified" Please advise 

0 Likes