Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to send email but still able to receive

ANSWERED
32 REPLIES 32
IainIain
Chatterbox

Hello,

My elderly neighbour has asked me to help her with her email problem. She is a talktalk customer and since Wednesday has not be able to send emails, even though she can still receive them. As she is isolating at home due to the pandemic this is making her feel cut off and causing a great deal of distress.

When sending an email from her ipad it says it cannot connect to smtp.talktalk.net

She cannot remember her password and so cannot use webmail. When I try to reset her password on talktalk.net it says her email address is not registered and asks for lots of account information, which I don't have access to.

No settings were changed on Wednesday when this issue started.

Could this be looked into as a matter of urgency please?

Many thanks

TominLondon
Super Duper Contributor

It's very unprofessional of TalkTalk not to respond to these numerous complaints. I wonder why? They usually say *something* quite quickly.

I have been having exactly the same problem for a full week. That's more than enough time for TalkTalk to tell us what they're going to do.

From Tom: a Mac user since 1995
TheHornedOne
Insightful One

@IainIain, the login data to access @TalkTalk mail via TalkTalk WebMail, should the same as that required to access mail via iPad Mail, so if she can remember that, you are good to go.

If she cannot remember the login data on the iPad, again, it should be stored, in Settings, but the specific location is not the same on all iPads!

~R.

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

The error can be corrected @TominLondon, by ............ 'tweaking' the TalkTalk account settings, to fall inline with with those currently shown on the TalkTalk web site, but the quickest, and easiest way to do it, is to reinstall the account!

~R.

TominLondon
Super Duper Contributor

...if only I could find them....

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

Try this @TominLondon ...............

2021-02-20 22_10_52-Email settings - IMAP & POP3 - TalkTalk Help & Support – Mozilla Firefox.jpg

~R.

stevesurrey
Enlightened One

Email settings can be found here Email-settings 

Make sure you use the settings for your neighbours email domain.

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
TheHornedOne
Insightful One

'ello @stevesurrey, what are you doin' hanging-out here, ha! 😎

~R.

IainIain
Chatterbox
Thanks for the suggestions but this doesn't help with the issue. All the settings and password are already stored on the iPad and have worked fine there for a long time. Nothing has changed with these and email receiving still works. It is just sending email that has stopped working, without an obvious cause
TominLondon
Super Duper Contributor

Thanks, but that's no good to me because the incoming mail server is greyed out (but working) and the outgoing mail server is shown as being offline and I can't get it to go online (see attached pic with my identity redacted). I presume that is because TalkTalk has deliberately taken it offline and there's nothing I can do about it. So the ball is in TalkTalk's court. My guess is that they realise they have screwed up and are quietly trying to do something about it. At least I hope so.

Screen Shot.jpg

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

@IainIain, my initial interpretation of your post was that you wished to access the TalkTalk mail account via WebMail, to check the accounts viability, before troubleshooting the iPad problem.

However, if you view the other posts in the thread, I think it will cover your ' ........ has stopped working, without an obvious cause; comment.'

~R.

TominLondon
Super Duper Contributor

I do not own an iPad. My screen shot is from my Mac.

IainIain
Chatterbox
@TheHornedOne apologies if my post wasn't clear. My goal is to fix the iPad email problem, I only mentioned webmail because I thought that might provide useful context.

I don't understand what you mean when you say that other posts will cover this problem. I've read everything through and can't see anything that would fix the issue with email on the iPad. Have I missed something?
TheHornedOne
Insightful One

Yes @TominLondon, having viewed your graphic, I am aware of that, but although this thread was instigated with respect to the iPad, the problem also effects some iMacs / MacBooks, depending on the MacOS version installed.

~R.

Secret Squirrel
Team Player
Solution

@IainIain wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions but this doesn't help with the issue. All the settings and password are already stored on the iPad and have worked fine there for a long time. Nothing has changed with these and email receiving still works. It is just sending email that has stopped working, without an obvious cause

Last week TalkTalk made changes to the SMTP server which means that folks using older email clients can no longer send. Here's a workaround for your elderly neighbour:

Head over to the iPad's mail settings then go into the section for the TalkTalk outgoing (SMTP) mail server. Toggle "Use SSL" to the off position and that should restore the iPad's ability to send again.

Note that this is not an ideal solution because it means that information sent to the SMT server is no longer encrypted. You may however consider this an acceptable workaround till someone comes up with a better idea or TalkTalk fix the problem.

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

Six of one, and half a dozen of the other, @IainIain, apologies unnecessary!

It is useful to know if the account is fully viable, by checking it out via WebMail, because if there is a problem there, it is going to be reflected on the iPad, and attempting to sort out a problem on the iPad would be a hiding to nothing?

Given the number of subscribers with similar problems over the last few days - I  logged 25, at the last count - it is down to the account settings.  They should be as in the graphic ~ Post #6.

~R.

IainIain
Chatterbox
Thank you Mr Squirrel. That has allowed the iPad to send. It is an old one so it is likely to be an older email client.
IainIain
Chatterbox
Many thanks to all that replied. Issue resolved
TominLondon
Super Duper Contributor

Resolved for you, but not for me and others.

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

@TominLondon wrote:

Resolved for you, but not for me and others.

Apparently, it is down to the availability of [Transport Layer Security] TSL 1.2 on your system, which in tern depends on the installed OS - and therefore, the Mail version.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250726942

So you will need to check what OS / Mail version you have installed @TominLondon!

~R.