Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to send email but still able to receive

ANSWERED
TominLondon
Super Duper Contributor

If you're right then TalkTalk needs to fix it. There are various reasons why I have chose not to upgrade from El Capitan. TalkTalk should make its changes work for everyone. I am using Mail verion 9.3 and I am not going to upgrade to a later OS just because of TalkTalk.

Any better suggestions, anyone? If the Horned Oneìs theory (and it's only a theory) is correct, then there needs to be a workaround.

Rather than leave us here to speculate amongst ourselves, it would be good if TalkTalk would fix this and in time, I think they will.

From Tom: a Mac user since 1995
medlar
Chatterbox

Had the same problem with my tiscali account receiving but not sending,after faffing about (technical term) and turning off SSL as suggested sending was restored

Gondola
Community Star

As long as you realise that your mail messages and password when not secured by SSL/TLS encryption can be intercepted and read and the password used to hijack your mailbox.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Give Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

TominLondon
Super Duper Contributor

I was able to send a few minutes ago, but only momentarily. Now it isn't working again.

I have no idea why my settings show the TT outgoing server to be "offline". I tried selected the only  TLS certificate that was shown (see screen shot) but it stopped sending so I have reset the TLS thing to "none". So with zero security, I can send.

NOT HAPPY

Screen Shot.jpg

Gondola
Community Star

Your Apple Mail software (9.3) is not supported with a secure TLS1.2 encryption. If your Operating system is not upgraded or capable of being upgraded then Apple Mail will not work with TLS encryption for sending TalkTalk mail.

TLS1.0 and TLS1.1 are deprecated because both are vulnerable to hacking.

As you know, Thunderbird is an email client that your OS will support with secure TLS1.2 encryption.

TominLondon
Super Duper Contributor

For now, I can send from APple Mail by selecting to send via Gmail. That seems to be the only way. Awkward, but better than upgrading my whole OS just for this stupid reason. As you say, my other possible alternative would be THunderbird but I don't like Thunderbird much.

Gondola
Community Star

I mentioned Thunderbird because you tried it and it worked as expected.

Heads up that Mozilla have withdrawn support from Apple OS 10.9 (Mavericks) and earlier OS's. But OS Yosemite and OS El Capitan are, usefully, still supported. 

TominLondon
Super Duper Contributor

Thunderbird is no longer supported by Mozilla but it is continuing as a "voluntary subscription" option. Which means that it may not last forever....

The only thing I deprecate is Apple's deplorable policy of mistreating its users and forcing them (they hope) to buy new hardware and update all their software. I have not got that kind of money to spend on this.

Gondola
Community Star

Thunderbird is supported by Mozilla.

Mozilla were going to drop Thunderbird because nothing lasts forever including outdated security schemes.  But Mozilla are still actively supporting and updating Thunderbird right now and will do so even better with donations.

But just as support has been dropped from older Apple OS so you should expect support for older devices and security schemes at risk to be dropped eventually.

For example, Google has dropped support for TLS1.0 and 1.1 for websites.  Gmail still supports TLS1.0, 1.1 as well as the newer 1.2. I expect Gmail to drop support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 very soon.

TominLondon
Super Duper Contributor

very confusing: this small print at the very bottom of the Thunderbird web page says it is now owned by a separate company but......the separate company is part of Mozilla !

Screen Shot.jpg

RosalindeJune
First Timer
Thank you Secret Squirrel, after spending much wasted time with someone on an online 'chat' with Talktalk who seemed unaware of changes made by TT plus a not very helpful query posted on this forum the other day, you have come up with the reason and solution!! Much appreciated.
Secret Squirrel
Team Player

@IainIain wrote:
Thank you Mr Squirrel. That has allowed the iPad to send. It is an old one so it is likely to be an older email client.

Iain (and others who may have fiddled with their iPad settings), anecdotal reports suggest that TalkTalk may have reversed the change they made to the SMTP server so try sliding the "Use SSL" option back to the on position. That will ensure that information sent is now encrypted again.

The same applies any users who did the same in their email clients.

TominLondon
Super Duper Contributor

The only security options I have for AppleMail are either this:

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Or this:

Screen Shot.jpg

Which should it be?