email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails from Pipex adress

gjiwill1
Team Player
Message 13 of 13

Every time I send a message from my Pipex address I get the following error message:

>An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: cm3nec >.smtp.talktalk.net ESMTP server not available.

I have been aware of this since late on 28 October.  Is this a temporary glitch, or a consequence of the recent migration onto the TalkTalk server?

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi gjiwill1, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi gjiwill1 

Windows login / Microsoft account login are the same thing. You can be asked for the Microsoft account email address and password or select the login PIN or fingerprint whichever you choose so long as those alternates have been set up in your Microsoft account.

There have in fact been no settings changes made by TalkTalk to the Mail servers. Most users have successfully upgraded without any changes being necessary to their email access. 

However, where users have a password that doesn't meet the TalkTalk platform minimum requirements or where the email client is being difficult and holding on to old credentials or security certificates is where someone like me can step up and offer guidance to get things back on track.

The advice to change to the talktalk.net server names is the only significant change and that forces the email client to pick up and verify a new security certificate and from there on, so long as the software can handle TLS1.2 or better security, there is no problem in connecting to and experiencing a secure email service.

Your mail messages were always there in your mailbox and available via the TalkTalk Mail sign in.

Thanks for taking time out to let us know you're back on track. We always appreciate your feedback.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 13

I found that it was not my login to the PC that was required, but my login to my Microsoft account.  Once that was sorted, I have been able to access the Account settings, and make the required changes.  All appears to be working now, both outgoing and incoming emails.

May I asked why Pipex customers were not advised/forewarned of the changes being made by TalkTalk to the email servers?  The amount of grief caused by losing incoming emails for over 3 weeks, and then this latest issue, has caused much unwanted stress, probably right across the Pipex community.

Message 4 of 13

The popup is a Windows security feature so whatever you do to sign in to your computer is what you need. For example, if when you first power up your computer you sign in with a PIN then you can select that option or if you sign in with a fingerprint then select that option. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

It would appear that my version of Thunderbird was not current.  This has now been updated and I can access the Privacy and Security tab.  It is asking for a user name and password to access the passwords as you expected; however, my PC user name and login do not appear to be recognised.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

If Thunderbird is an older version then it's Options > Security tab and then Passwords etc.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

I have fallen at the first hurdle.  There is nothing headed Privacy and Security within 'Options'.  I have browsed around and cannot find this anywhere.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

That's perfect.

So, the password change is around the same time as the start of the problems sending. What I suggest is removing the saved logins in Thunderbird so that when you next send a mail message you'll get a password request pop-up and you can then tick the remember password box and enter the new password.

To access the saved logins:

• Select the Thunderbird menu - triple lines top right header
  • Select the Options menu item
  • Select Privacy & Security from the sidebar
  • In the Passwords section, select the Saved Passwords button
  • Select the Show Passwords button
    You may need to enter your PC login passcode
  • You'll now be shown the smtp passwords for sending mail from your email accounts to check these are current and correct
  • Select and remove out of date entries
  • Select and remove the smtp.dial.pipex.com entry or entries

Select Thunderbird's Account Settings and you'll see in the side panel the selection for Server Settings for each email account and for Outgoing Server (SMTP).

So, assuming that it is your Thunderbird that's set up as a POP3 email account here are the relevant Account settings:

Account Type  POP3
Username

username@dial.pipex.com

Password Yes
POP3 mail server name pop.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication method Normal Password
SMTP mail server name smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Firstly, I am using Thunderbird.

Secondly, I renewed my password within the past three weeks. It has 16 characters, including upper and lower case, numbers and symbols.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Hi gjiwill1 

First thing is that mail disappearing from the online Inbox means mail is being collected by a POP3 email client / app or mail collection service.

So, if that's something under your control and you know about it that's ok. The settings for a POP3 email client are slightly different but I'll give those and where to check the settings when I know which email client or app you're using. Let me know e.g. phone app, Gmail app, Outlook, Thunderbird or Windows or Apple Mail?

Password strength? How many characters does the password have? When did you last change the password and is it really strong and unguessable with multicase letters, numbers and an added symbol?

Message 11 of 13

Thank you for your rapid response.

Sending myself a message from the apps.TalkTalk mailbox worked OK, but after a short time the message disappeared from my Inbox.  It is showing in the Sent folder.

Regarding the email settings that you list, where do I go to access these?  Is it in the TalkTalk app or dial.pipex?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

Hi @gjiwill1 

Compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Let us know of any send error message, or if mail does not arrive in the Inbox or disappears from the Inbox.

The error message 'The mail server sent an incorrect greeting' is usually encountered when using port 25 and no TLS encryption for sending mail.  But see this advice if your password is not very strong. The issue can be caused by a password that doesn't meet security requirements.

The email settings you can also use for dsl and dial pipex mail are:

Account Type  IMAP
Username

username@dsl.pipex.com

username@dial.pipex.com

Password Yes
IMAP mail server name imap.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
SMTP mail server name smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587