email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual emails appearing in drafts folder

carole4far
Participant
Message 9 of 9

Hi everyone,

I've been noticing several new draft emails appearing in my drafts folder each day.

I have changed the mailbox password and have recovery email and mobile details added and yet these emails keep appearing.

All the subject fields are 'Bonjour' and they are drafted to be sent to many different french yahoo email addresses.

This is quite concerning, I feel my email address is significantly compromised as I receive many weekly Instagram and Facebook account reset requests as well as this ghost draft email issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Thanks Lloyd, we're investigating this now. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9
Hi @Ady-TalkTalk 

I can confirm that the e-mail address on my profile is the same that is affected by this issue.

Kind regards,

Lloyd
0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi carole4far, please add the affected email to private notes in your profile or confirm it's the one in your community profile that you registered with. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Hi carole4far 

I've asked Ady about raising a fault ticket to sign out all clients signed in to your mailbox so that when you next sign in after that point there should be no more unexpected drafts.

Did anything suspicious get reported when you scanned your device for viruses and malware?

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 5 of 9

Hi @Gondola, @Ady-TalkTalk 

I have reset my password, checked that the reset details are up to date, sent myself an email and checked that it arrives and stays in the Inbox/sent box.

I have also checked that no auto-forward or rules apply.

And yet today I still had several new drafts appearing (please see attached screenshot).

I am increasingly concerned that my email is compromised as I continue to receive emails stating that people are trying to register Instagram accounts under my email address.

I would.be most grateful if you could investigate this further for me.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

I can pass on your comments. I can't tell you that it will be implemented or if it's on it's way already. 

Ady

Message 7 of 9

@Ady-TalkTalk 

I have a suspicion that hackers are remaining signed in to mailboxes despite password changes that should secure mailboxes for our users.

I am aware that the newer releases of Open-Xchange Suite do have a Security feature enabling users to see which devices are signed in and importantly to sign out all devices.

I would like to see this security feature brought to TalkTalk Mail users to help with situations as described in this topic.

Security menu - Copy.png

Gondola
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi @carole4far 

I think it's pretty certain your mailbox password has been compromised. Have you scanned your devices to remove password capturing viruses, trojans and malware? Did you find anything to indicate how your mailbox came to be compromised?

If a hacker has accessed your mailbox in an attempt to send spam or hijack other online accounts then they're more than likely to have set up an Auto forward to spy on your emails and Filter rules to divert incoming mail.

So, I recommend signing out of all of your devices and then sign in to your TalkTalk online mailbox via an Internet browser and webmail to check:

• Any Auto forward is disabled
  • Any Filter rules are disabled
  • Your Reset details are present and correct

Compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Update your Reset details is accessed via the main settings menu. And Auto forward and filter rules are via the Settings menu item and Mail (or Email) in the left side panel.

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Filter rules - Disable

When you've double checked you have no password grabbing malware installed and disabled any Auto forward and all Filter rules it's time to change your email password via the Forgotten password button.

Via the Settings menu item and Basic settings in the left side panel is an Automatic sign out. I recommend setting that for 5 minutes then signing out of TalkTalk Mail. Clear the browser cache and cookies and wait at least 5 minutes before signing in again. Leave the 5 minute sign out present for the next 24 hours. 

Let us know what you find as we like to know what the hackers are up to.

To link this topic to your TalkTalk Mail service, in preparation for direct help from TalkTalk support, please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile preferred). Add your full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add your email address and then save changes.