Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Vanishing e-mails

5 REPLIES 5
JCCNIBC
Chatterbox

In common with a few other posts by others recently: "E-mails have disappeared", "Old E-Mails have gone", "Webmails folders empty" my history of e-mails on Webmail have "disappeared". I have 2 E-mail addresses through TalKTalk (tiscali). 1 (I think) is fine. The other which I use most often has no history of sent items & more importantly no history in "Inbox". Usually there are 7 or so "pages" of historical e-mails which I can access via Webmai but now there is only a message: "No messages in Folder"

I normally access/send my e-mails through Windows Live Mail (Windows 10). Having not accessed my e-mails since 12th April. I was surprised this morning to see very few new e-mails in my Inbox, especially since some contacts told my they had sent me some replies since 12th April. I decided to go into Webmail to see if they were in there, only to find no messages at all (including no record of the handfull of messages actually received). I have tested by sending a message from the e-mail address which seems uneffected (via Windows Live Mail), it arrived OK in the Webmail Inbox & shortly after appeared in the Windows Live Mail Inbox, but on returning to Webmail, it has now also vanished. Not only am I concerned that the Webmail history has vanished but I think there are e-mails out there that haven't arrived, Curious though that a few have!

Help!!  

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @JCCNIBC

Are you a TalkTalk broadband customer? If so, and if not already done, please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your TalkTalk landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and add the email address that isn't working as expected in Private Notes and save changes. The TalkTalk Community support OCE will then be able to link to your TalkTalk service account and the email account in question.

The fact that you can see an email arrive in Webmail and then see that email in an email client but it's gone when you return to webmail indicates that the client is downloading and then deleting the email from the server.  An email client set to act as POP3 client will do exactly that. If this is what's happening then either use the POP3 setting 'keep emails on the server' or change to IMAP settings. See this article: Email settings.

If everything looks normal then a closer check of the email account may find something wrong in the settings there.

This topic has been escalated to the TalkTalk Community support team and the email expert will respond to you, right here, to help you with the email account issues.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Give Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi JCCNIBC, is the affected mailbox the one you used to register on the community with?

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

JCCNIBC
Chatterbox

Many thanks Gondola

On checking "the problem e-mail address" Account, Properties, Advanced I found the Leave copy of Messages Delivery Box, unticked. I've now ticked it, so hopefully all future e-mails will (re) appear in Webmail. For the other e-mail address, that box was already ticked, which probably explains why the messages were there!!!!

Seems to be my fault, although there were very few messages between 13th & 16th April, including none from those who claimed to have sent to me

Thanks again..... & it looks like OCE Ady's about to solve the "lack of e-mails" for me    

JCCNIBC
Chatterbox

Yes, Ady.....the one you just sent me an e-mail on

If you could arrange to re send me all e-mails since 13th April that would be great, but not please any before then, as sometimes happens & about 600 or so flood in from 3 or 4 months ago!!

Thanks

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

All I've can do is what I've done which is to run a mailbox repair which will replace any mail missing from the mailbox in recent days. We don't have any way to recover mail other than that I'm afraid. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.