email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail - Reliability, Backup, Uploading & Migration

stevesurrey
Enlightened One
Message 5 of 5

With the recent email problems associated with TalkTalk's upgrade of server security to TLS1.2 (now withdrawn temporarily) the need to find an alternative to my ancient Outlook Express is ever more paramount. One alternative often proposed is TalTalk Webmail but that gives rise to a number of issues in my head.  I guess these questions are aimed @Gondola but anyone else feel free to chip in.

Reliability

Just how reliable is it storing all your email on TT's servers? From experience we know the system crashes fairly regularly so does anyone lose emails on these occasions? I've seen any number of threads from customers who have lost stored emails though, mainly, that appears to be down to some device unexpectedly downloading & deleting messages.

Backup

How do you perform a backup of stored messages? TT do not seem to offer such a facility so the only option I can think of is to use an email client to download messages, so you might as well use that client all the time.

Uploading

How would I get my existing message store onto the TT servers? 

Migration

Should you change ISP how would you migrate your stored emails to a new platform? Use an email client again?

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

@stevesurrey wrote:

Thanks Gondola some food for thought. But seems Webmail is a poor substitute for a decent email client and Thunderbird still remains the best option.

Woa, wash your mouth out @stevesurrey, you can't say things like that to TalkTalk Community Star Gondola, on the TalkTalk Community Forum, about TalkTalk WebMail .......................... can you?

....................... even if I do agree with you, ha!

~R.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

The Open-xchange platform and webmail access using a browser acting as an IMAP client is pretty good.

There are improvements in later releases to the one that TalkTalk is using but as it stands I prefer using webmail over the Thunderbird email client that's running in parallel. 

To give an example. I receive Community notifications for all of the help forums. I have Filter Rules to organise certain categories into folders and I flag each forum with colour label tags and or flag so I can see at a glance which forum the post originated in. 

In Thunderbird I can select the flagged posts but not the colour tagged posts. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

Message 3 of 5

Thanks @Gondola some food for thought. But seems Webmail is a poor substitute for a decent email client and Thunderbird still remains the best option.

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi Steve

With TalkTalk mail via a browser you can select and Save wanted mail messages as email files (eml) or up to 8 eml messages in a zip file.

The eml format is transferable to other email clients / mailboxes.

Using an email client like Thunderbird you can create local folders to save copies of wanted mail messages.

These mail messages can be copied to an online folder of another mailbox / mail service.

Any saved mail messages can be backed up to an external drive to give protection to saved mail messages in the event of a device failure.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer