Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Webmail problem - "unable to send message"

9 REPLIES 9
JandC_271
Team Player

Messages are being received in my Webmail account but since yesterday 27 July I cannot send any messages from my Webmail account and I cannot forward any messages - I just get  an error message "Unable to send message". Also messages are not transferring to my Windows Live Mail account. Coincidentally there was an automatic Windows 10 update installed yesterday on my desktop, but I don't see how this could have affected it as I get the same problem when logging in to Webmail from my Android smart phone on WiFi - I've tried resetting the router but no change. Also in the address bar for webmail there is a red "Not Secure" warning, maybe that is blocking outgoing mail from the site. I've tried changing all the security settings for the site to "allow" but still no change.

Any ideas of what the problem is? Some problem at the TalkTalk servers?

JandC_271
JandC_271
Team Player

Further to my post on this a few minutes ago, my email is an old Pipex address and what appears in the address bar for webmail is "Not Secure - webmail-legacy.homecall.co.uk/....." which seems like an odd address, is this some defunct address?

JandC_271
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @JandC_271 

To link this topic to your TalkTalk service please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile preferred). Add full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add your talktalk email address(es), notes and references etc and then save changes.

TalkTalk Mail is on a secure server but homecall, for example is not. So, I'm wondering if you're not using the TalkTalk Mail sign in but some other webmail sign in page. What is your email domain - the bit after the @ in the email address?

If your mail is on the TalkTalk Mail platform, I've checked that is sending normally.

If you get an error message on sign in then let us know. On a successful sign in please select Compose from the toolbar and create an email to the same email address and then send it to check the message is in the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Let us know what happens. Screenshots of error messages would be helpful. Upload here using the Insert Photos icon (camera or picture) above this Reply area.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

Gondola
Community Star

Hi JandC_271 

Just seen that your mail is pipex. That mail service isn't yet upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform so you'll need to use the pipex webmail sign in.

The homecall sign in is not secure so ignore that option.

Sign in to your pipex mailbox via the pipex webmail sign-in. Check that you can create and send the same mailbox a message.  If the mailbox is nearly full it may help to delete some content but normally you'd get a warning about mailbox capacity.

Let us know of an error message during the above check of sending and receiving into the same mailbox.

On the Windows Live Mail (WLM) topic. My recommendation is to retire WLM because it has not had security updates for some time now. Windows Mail is the equivalent replacement and comes with Windows 10.

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

JandC_271
Team Player

Thanks for this, Gondola - are you a TalkTalk employee?

My email domain is dsl.pipex.com, so I think this may be the problem. The web address for my webmail is http://webmail-legacy.homecall.co.uk/....... preceded by a "not secure" warning.

I telephoned TalkTalk customer support and they couldn't help, said I needed to contact dsl.pipex email support, and could find them by searching on Google - but I can't find any such site. Seems like Talktalk are saying it's not their problem, although I thought they'd taken over Pipex and so would be responsible for it.

If pipex email is now unreliable, can I get a TalkTalk email address? Can't find any info on this on their website.

JandC_271
Gondola
Community Star

Hi JandC_271 

Community does have TT Staff providing support to enhance member to member support from volunteers like me offering help to members like you.  I'm not employed by TalkTalk and any views and stances are entirely mine.  I can call on TalkTalk to provide direct customer support as needed.

TalkTalk customer service normally direct pipex users straight here so you're already in the best place for TalkTalk Mail support. The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is the first go to resource.

I'd say just sign in to your pipex mailbox via the pipex webmail sign-in. It's a secure sign in. If the mailbox is not full and you cannot get round the inability to send via webmail I'll ask TalkTalk to raise a fault ticket to the pipex email admins.

Pipex mailboxes are in line to be upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform and you'll receive a set of email notifications in due course from TalkTalk to prepare you for the ultimate upgrade.

If you're a TalkTalk Broadband customer you can create up to 5 talktalk.net mailboxes.

JandC_271
Team Player

Thanks for this - your suggestion worked! So I can send emails after signing in via the pipex webmail sign in, which goes to the address https://netmail.pipex.net/.........rather than http://webmail-legacy.homecall.co.uk/.......Why there's a difference is beyond my understanding.

Now I'll have to see if my Windows Live Mail can connect to that.

Thanks!

JandC_271
OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi JandC_271, use the secure link that Gondola provided for logging into webmail the old homecall one isn't secure. If you're still having trouble post back and let us know. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi JandC_271 

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub has the recommended Email Settings for dsl.pipex.com mail services to use with email clients like Windows Live Mail (WLM). However, WLM was retired in 2016 so hasn't received security updates for some time now.

For you to get the best and most secure email service my recommendation is to upgrade from WLM to Windows Mail or Thunderbird as offering you a better and more secure email experience.

In due course you will be able to use the TalkTalk Mail platform and as a TalkTalk Consumer broadband or Mail Plus customer be able to continue linking to those email clients or email apps.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.