email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail refusing to send emails

Andy T
Team Player
Message 15 of 15

I have been using webmail ever since I joined talktalk both for individual emails and for two groups for clubs I belong to. I have never had a problem with doing this up until today.

I tried today to send a group message to both clubs but received an error message in the format shown below.  Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [xxxxxxx@talktalk.net>] (453 - 453 4.2.0 lC0XkxuO4rWIi Sorry, we can’t send this email at the moment because you’ve sent a lot of emails recently. Please wait an hour or so and then try sending your email again. For more information visit our help article (link: help2.talktalk.co.uk/i-cant-send-or-receive-emails) (TT603)

I don't understand this message as I have not sent a lot of emails recently, though with Christmas approaching I will be sending out more club information. I have tried waiting for an hour and trying again but am getting the same message. Having read the link about unrecognised recipients I sent a message to my wife which gave the same message as shown above (for security reasons I have replaced her address with xxxxxx)

What have you changed to cause this to happen? And what is the remedy?

Many thanks

Andrew

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi Andrew, I've sent you a Personal Message to obtain more information. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Thanks for obscuring the addressees, I had left them in so that you could see the full error message.

I have checked that my profile contains all the information you listed which it does.

Thanks for your help so far and also for escalating this to talktalk as there is clearly an issue that needs resolving.

Kind regards

Andrew

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Hi Andrew

I've obscured the email addresses. The recipients won't take kindly to receiving spam as a result of posting their addresses in public.

To link this topic to your TalkTalk service please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile preferred). Add full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add your talktalk email address and then save changes.

There's not much I can add to an understanding of the issue so I've alerted TalkTalk to see if their logs show up any extra information on what's triggering the rate limiting.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 15

Hi,

Apologies if you believe I am unfairly blaming talktalk, but putting yourself in my shoes, what else would you think. Everything was working perfectly up until Friday and now I am finding it impossible to communicate with my club members as I used to. The error messages don't make sense, although you have explained what they are meant to mean. My club members depend on the messages I send as they have over the last few years so there is no reason to believe that anyone is actively blocking them as spam. There may be the odd member who has changed their email address but as all the messages I sent out today from google, 48 in total, have not come back as undeliverable, except the one I deliberately mis-addressed, it suggests that cannot be the reason.

I have just tried to send a group message as a test and yet again the error message has come up, here is the text: 

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [obscured for customer security] (453 - 453 4.2.0 lfrxkQeY1ckdu Sorry, we can’t send this email at the moment because you’ve sent a lot of emails recently. Please wait an hour or so and then try sending your email again. For more information visit our help article (link: help2.talktalk.co.uk/i-cant-send-or-receive-emails) (TT603)
Incidentally I have been using these group emails for years without any issues the last time to both being within the last few weeks.

Hope this helps in understanding the confusion and frustration I am feeling about talktalk webmail at the moment.

Kind regards

Andrew

Message 5 of 15

Hi Andrew

You're placing the blame on TalkTalk but it's not the TalkTalk Mail platform that's rejecting your sent mail messages.  There's no doubt that TalkTalk is still rate limiting your sending as a protective measure. What's the full rejection message?

The logic for your conclusion doesn't hold up. If recipients are rejecting mail from your talktalk address as unwanted then that rejection would not apply (yet) to a Gmail address.

Message 6 of 15

Thanks for this. I have checked and there are no issues with those mailboxes. After waiting for 2 hours I was able to send out 9 individual emails before I was locked out again with the same error message. 

In desperation I signed into my gmail account on the same PC and was able to send exactly the same message to all the other remaining club members through that and it went perfectly with no rejections, no errors and no locking up. I deliberately miss spelled one email address and was immediately informed of a non delivery in exactly the same way as I used to be in talktalk.

This would suggest that the error is in the talktalk webmail system.

Regards

Andrew

Message 7 of 15

Thanks, I can see the sense in that but I won't be able to confirm until I have sent my 90 individual emails, which if any email addresses are suspect, that is once talktalk lets me recommence. I will let you know the result.

Incidentally all the scans on my system indicate no virus or malware.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

"Andy T"  wrote:...I am still mystified as to why this has only just started to happen.

TalkTalk is rate limiting your sending to protect the sending of all other users of TalkTalk Mail.

The key thing to take on board is that other mail services are rejecting your mail messages as potentially carrying an unwelcome malware or spam payload that they don't want on their system(s). If TalkTalk didn't take action then recipient mail services may blacklist TalkTalk senders that could then impact us all.

You could double-check in webmail that there's nothing unexpected in the Sent objects, Drafts or Trash folders that might indicate someone else has been sending unwanted mail out from your mailbox. But if there's no suspicious activity it would lead me to the conclusion that you've got some addresses that aren't valid or are rejecting mail for some reason.

Message 9 of 15

Thanks, But I am still mystified as to why this has only just started to happen.

I am continuing to use talktalk as my mail provider and using the same groups that I have always used so for this problem to suddenly crop up suggests that talktalk has made a change to its operation that is causing this to happen, possibly without understanding what the implications are to their loyal users? I have just been locked out again with the same unhelpful message so am now going to have to wait for at least another hour before I can try again (hopefully not the 24 hours option you mentioned).

Once I am able to access my email system again I will next try to send my club messages individually, which will involve 90 separate emails to achieve what I normally achieve in 2. I will let you know how this pans out.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

Hi Andrew

Some mail service providers will bounceback individual mailbox error reports for failed delivery.  Others can take the option of detecting multiple failures of addressing and terminate the acceptance of the whole group on the basis that multiple failures are more likely to indicate spam.

Message 11 of 15

Thanks, I will try splitting the groups up.

This does raise the question though what has changed? Up until very recently, with group emails if an email was unrecognised I would receive an "unable to deliver message" for the particular address whilst all the others were delivered. I therefore knew exactly which email was being rejected and was able to correct it.

Why is this no longer the case I wonder?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Hi Andrew

The answer to an optimum size of distribution list is to keep each list as small as possible particularly if there's any risk of individual recipients' mailboxes being unavailable for any reason.

The two groups are fairly large so sending a few more mail messages could trigger a stop on sending for an hour.

The key thing is to keep checking that your lists contain valid addresses for recipients wanting to receive your messages.

Message 13 of 15

A good example of an error message that doesn't actually tell you what is wrong. 

Thanks for the update, I still don't understand why group mailboxes which have operated perfectly over the last couple of years suddenly stopped working today but suppose that the error then cascaded down to affect my individual mails.

Out of interest my two groups hold 48 and 42 email addresses respectively. Is there an optimum number for these type of group mailboxes?

I will wait and see what happens and let you know

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

Hi Andrew

Too many recipients (TT603) doesn't mean you've sent too many mail messages to too many people. It does mean that too many recipient mailboxes are rejecting the mail. Spam content may have been identified or recipients are marking the mail as spam for example.

You'll have initially been timed out of sending for an hour so any further send you try within the hour will get rejected automatically.

So, you'll need to wait at least an hour and then not get any bounceback rejections.

If you break up the Distribution list for your group send into smaller lists then there's less risk of any one group being rejected. But any distribution list having a non-existent email address or a mailbox that is rejecting your mail will cause a repeat of the episode. You might then get locked out for up to 24 hours.

0 Likes