Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Where have all my emails gone?

7 REPLIES 7
andrew57
Popular Poster

All emails have disappeared from my inbox and I am not receiving any new ones!

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @andrew57 

To link this topic to your TalkTalk Mail service, in preparation for direct help from TalkTalk support, please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile preferred). Add your full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc and then save changes.

Can you still sign in to TalkTalk Mail (webmail)? 

If your mailbox password has been compromised then one of the things hackers do is set up an Auto forward to obtain all your mail and not leave a copy on the server.

Or there could be a Filter rule that's diverting your mail.

Or there's an email app set up as a POP3 account to download and delete all mail messages.

Check Spam and Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox.

Compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox. Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including Auto forwarding which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

Filter rules - Disable

Disable filter rules.

Let us know of any error message, or if mail does not arrive in the Inbox or disappears from the Inbox.

If using email software or mobile email apps, check for software updates and if the email account is set for IMAP or POP3. Collecting mail messages with a POP3 mail account may be deleting those messages from the online Inbox.

Email Settings are listed for TalkTalk managed email addresses.

If you find any unauthorised settings then consider your mailbox has been compromised and you'll be best advised to scan devices to remove any possible password grabbing malware and then set about changing your email password.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi andrew57, Gondola has given you all the relevant information. Please let us know how you get on. I'd guess that your account/ devices have been hacked and you should also run AntiVirus and malware checks on all your devices. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

andrew57
Popular Poster

I've completed  the Personal Information section......... so what now?

I can still sign in to Talktalk webmail

There are no Filters Rules

There is no Autoforward setting

A Gmail account was set up for the talktalk email on my wife's Chromebook (could this be the cause of the problem)

Mail does reach the inbox then disappears at some point

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @andrew57 

The mail disappearing from the Inbox means that mail is being collected and then deleted from the Inbox.

Gmail does collect mail as a POP3 account and the default action for this is to collect, download and delete. You need to select the option in GMail to leave a copy of retrieved message on the server if you don't want the Inbox content deleted.

GMail email Add AccountGMail email Add Account

andrew57
Popular Poster
Thank you for this.
So how do I do what you have suggested?
I have the Chromebook open and Gmail is opened.
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @andrew57 

Go to Gmail Settings (cog icon) and select see all settings

Select Accounts and Import from the Settings header

Scroll down to the section check email from other accounts

Select Edit info

You'll see a screen just like the screenshot I showed you

Tick leave a copy...

Save changes

Gmail will now not delete your emails from the server allowing you to view them in webmail or in another IMAP email client.

Tip: your emails are in the gmail app Inbox.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi andrew57, you won't go wrong following Gondola's advice. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.