email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why cant I set up my emails on Outlook on my new laptop?

Annajev
Visitor
Message 8 of 8

Greetings.  So I got a new laptop and am astounded to find that I cant set up my emails on it! 

I am using Outlook, I follow all the instructions, set it up manually, using IMAP, put in the corrrect ports.  I even changed my password incase I entered it incorrectly and its not having any of it.

I made a phone call ans was told quitee rudely that the only way one can access emails is through webmail.

Is this true? and who wants to long on, opwn up a browswe, clik, clik, log on, password, text messafge verifivation, get in, to check emails?  Frankly shocking

In this advanced age of technology I cant believe that one has to go round so many houses to get mail when there is a perfectly good client in situ.  Was  that the telephone operator was telling the truth that Outlook nolonger supports talktalk mail?

Clarification and further instructions would be a great help.  I feel rally agrieved that I pay for a service that is so technologicall backward

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi Annajev,

That's great news, glad to hear that Gondola's advice has helped you resolve the problem 🙂

Chris

Message 2 of 8

You're welcome.

We appreciate you taking time out to give us your feedback.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Annajev
Visitor
Message 3 of 8

I cant believe it!  I had my webmail open in my browser and did it and  shock horror it worked!  had my laptop for weeks and now I can use it thank you so much for the top tips

Message 4 of 8

Hi Annajev 

You didn't confirm but I'll assume that the talktalk.net email address is listed in your customer MyAccount. 

The first step in troubleshooting is always to sign in to webmail to check that the mailbox is working and to reassure yourself that you have the current password that you're going to use for the Outlook setup. 

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Any error message? Let us know.

Launch Outlook. The setup should auto-detect the required settings from the TalkTalk Mail platform. All you need is to enter your name, email address and password by following the Microsoft guide here:  Add an email account to Outlook

Any error message? Let us know.

If you need to check the manual server settings for setting up an IMAP account (also POP3) in Outlook here they are:

Supported* email client and app settings are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended) or POP3
Username Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP / POP3) 993 / 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Outgoing Authentication Required Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password

Tick the setting for 'my outgoing server requires authentication'

Do not tick the SPA boxes.

A reminder that it's also important to make sure the email address is added to a TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount to avoid restriction to webmail only access and possible deletion. 

Email not showing in My Account

* Email clients, apps and devices that do not support secure mail using a minimum of TLS1.2 connection security are not supported (eg Outlook versions prior to Outlook 2013 may not be supported).

0 Likes

Annajev
Visitor
Message 5 of 8

Morning.  Firstly apologies for all those typos!  yes I am a customer on contract with talktalk  broadband and phone and my address is talktalk.net.

Message 6 of 8

Hi Annajev,

Welcome to the Community, I can see that Gondola is helping you with your query 🙂

Chris

Gondola
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi Annajev 

TalkTalk Customer Service will support only TalkTalk Mail webmail simply because there are so many different email clients and apps using different descriptions and setups and some work well and others not so.

TalkTalk Mail does support both webmail and email client connections using IMAP (recommended) but also POP3. Here on Community we'll try and get you up and running on your chosen email software if it's possible to do so.

But first some simple check questions. Are you a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer and is the email address listed in the My Mailboxes section of the customer MyAccount?  What is the email address domain and if a legacy address like pipex.com, screaming.net or homecall.co.uk is the address you're using a master address or an alias for a master address?

Let us know if you're a TalkTalk Consumer customer taking a full-fibre service. Manage TalkTalk Mail options are not yet included in the full-fibre MyAccount management.

Managing your email in My Account

0 Likes