email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another pipex email hack

Pianist2
Whizz Kid
Message 4 of 4

I have also had a similar message purporting to come from my own Pipex address, asking for bitcoin within 48 hours and making threats. 

I suspect the account has been 'spoofed' rather than compromised but would value guidance on what to do next.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Hi Miriam

If you use webmail, report as per TalkTalk webmail.

If you use an email client, report as per the selected email client Outlook / Thunderbird etc.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 4

Thanks for the advice. I've looked at the link for reporting a phishing scam, but it doesn't include a category for Pipex e-mail addresses. Which category should I choose to report under?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 3 of 4

Hi Miriam

It looks like almost all the blackmail scam emails simply spoof the sending email address and invent the fake allegations including the hacking claim.  Stay calm, don't worry and above all don't respond in any way. 

It's unlikely that your pipex email account was used but if your pipex email password was weak, has been cracked or obtained from another website hacking and your email account compromised as a result then of course it's vital to get it secured and a new ultra-strong password provided for you. 

You can check password security at the howsecureismypassword website. Test with a similar password and if it indicates it'll take hundreds of years or more to crack then the password should be good. 

You can report the blackmail email here: Report phishing emails to TalkTalk.

To ensure your devices are clean and don't contain keyloggers capturing passwords just run anti-virus and anti-malware software. SuperSafe Boost and Malwarebytes will work together. But do keep the security up to date for both the operating system and security software.

More security help is in the Security Hub.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes