email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can receive emails but cant send any

steve w1
Team Player
Message 7 of 7

I am getting this when I try and send emails, -

The server response was: kWQSkQTjneEcH Authentication Required (TT401).

Its confusing as when i go to my online Talk talk webmail account I can send from there. I am using Apple mail version 11.5, and i don't know if thats causing the problem.  I am also still using POP3

Any help is appreciated

steve whit Self Publisher
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi steve w1, thanks for taking the time to post back to let us know it's sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

OK, the standard fix for corrupted mail accounts.

We appreciate you taking time out to let us know. Always good to have your feedback.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 7

Thanks Gondola. Ok the SMTP port kept disappearing in preferences, so I backed up my emails and deleted the account. made new account and came in as IMAP and settings were automatically done. Point to consider as well as all IMAP accounts will sync across your apple devices. Hopefully all sorted now

Message 4 of 7

Hi @steve w1 

Apple advice on backing up mailboxes in mbox format.

My instinct says if you're using the settings I've given then the most likely problem is with the password that's saved in Apple keychain and or icloud keychain. If you delete the keychain passwords to prevent an old password from being presented then that'll be a logical troubleshooting step forward.

If you do have an Internet security product running then disable temporarily just in case there's a hold up in scanning the secure email ports.

For a new IMAP account these are the incoming and outgoing server settings:

Account Type  IMAP
Username username@talktalk.net
Password email password
Incoming host name imap.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security Use TLS/SSL
Outgoing host name smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security Use TLS/SSL
Authentication method Password

Add the email address as the Username for the outgoing SMTP server and add the password. The boxes may say it's optional but it's required.

Let us know if Apple Mail is now working ok. If asked to accept a certificate the response is Yes / Accept.

Message 5 of 7

Thanks Gondola, frustrating this, I have tried every permutation going but still no luck. I have changed my incoming host name to Pop.talktalk.net from mail.talktalk.net but still no luck. Can you point me in the direction of where I can back my emails up so I can change my account to IMAP? Im pretty sure its Apple mail thats the culprit as I can send from webmail.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @steve w1 

Try these incoming and outgoing server settings:

Account Type  POP3
Username username@talktalk.net
Password email password
Incoming host name pop.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 995
Incoming Security Use TLS/SSL
Outgoing host name smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security Use TLS/SSL
Authentication method Password

Add the email address as the Username for the outgoing SMTP server and add the password. The boxes may say it's optional but it's required.

Let us know if Apple Mail is now working ok. If asked to accept a certificate the response is Yes / Accept.