email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing from POP to IMAP as TT seems to recommend

florat
Whizz Kid
Message 9 of 9

Hi OCE ADY or Gondola,I would appreciate some guidance please as to the followindg dilemma.Now that email upgrade has happened for me and touch wood seems to be working should I change my email settings frm Pop to IMAP asTT seems to recommend  and what are the pros and cons of doing so .I use an email client on a desktop PC.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Well hardly, would you still use Windows 95 if TalkTalk wanted you to use Windows 10 but you had no problems with Windows 95 despite it being ancient and basic or would you use password1234 for all your logins despite knowing it was a massive risk to you because TalkTalk want you to use a secure safe and hard to hack password? What I'm telling you is that our experts who have spent their lives in education and work dealing with these products know that POP3 is not the best protocol currently available and that more customer suffer problems with and as a result of using POP3 than IMAP. That's what I was saying. Why don't I have an opinion because I'm not qualified to question what our email admins advise me? If you want to use the old POP3 that's your prerogative until the industry finally bins it. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9
Thanks Ady,Much as I thought.Convenient for TT.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi florat, I don't really have an opinion except that I know that Email Admins desperately want everyone to use IMAP to negate all the problems and costs that pop users cause for them and therefore the business. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9
Hi ADY,yes Gondola has given me some pointers but I would be interested in your input and opinion if you have time.
0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hi florat, looks like Gondola has already got this sorted for you. 

Ady

Message 6 of 9

Hi florat 

No problem. POP3 connection protocol continues to be supported on the mail platform so if POP3 suits your needs that's fine.

You've always got TalkTalk Mail webmail access via supported internet browsers and that will work on static and mobile devices and there's a TalkTalk Mail mobile app. So you can use POP3 for your computer and still use other devices.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 7 of 9
Thank you Gondola for the pointers. I will read up on the info before I decide so as to be able to make an informed decision whether to change or not. Quite happy at present with POP as its what I've always used.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi @florat 

The Email settings help page has advice on making the change from POP3 to IMAP and it's recommended that the advice is followed step by step to ensure your POP3 downloaded mail is saved before removing a POP3 email account.

A POP3 email client or app interacts just with the online Inbox. Mail messages are downloaded and then deleted from the online Inbox immediately or after a period of time. The messages can be left in the Inbox and not deleted so collection by other devices is still possible. Folders are created locally on the device for drafts, sent and deleted messages and these will be viewable only on the single device.

However, if you're using multiple devices then an IMAP email client will synchronise itself to the online mailbox folders. All devices will see all folders and any action on the mail messages can be carried out on any device including webmail where the browser acts as an IMAP email client mirroring the online mailbox.

That's a brief summary. In either case it's a wise precaution to save wanted mail messages to a backup device at regular intervals. A computer fail with POP3 without backup would lose mail messages not on the server. A network fail with IMAP without backup would lose access to the server mail messages.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution