Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

changing from Pop to Imap

5 REPLIES 5
RPond
First Timer

Following the email from TalkTalk, recommending changing my settings from Pop to Imap, I tried to do this with my Onetel email addresses. Doing this all-in line with their email. Catastrophe! Even with help from family computer experts. All the addresses we tried to convert just shut down, even trying to go back to Pop, all as each was set up before, now does not work. This was on PCs and Laptops. Luckily, I have one address that we did not touch, which as you can see still works.

I joined Onetel in 2002 and emails were set up then and have worked continuously until now.  But not as the instruction email, but as the incoming email server as “mail.onetel.com” not as “pop.onetel.com”. Yes, we have tried all possible different combinations over many days, none-work.

I am a fully paid up TalkTalk tv and phone customer over a number of years.

Help, please.

Robin Pond.   12th October 2020.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Robin

Some key bits of information:

1. Backup any downloaded mail messages that aren't on the onetel mail server before you change settings in the email client
  2. Delete the existing POP3 email account from the device and power down the device and power up before setting up a new IMAP email account - you don't just change settings of an existing account to change from POP to IMAP
  3. If using Mac Mail / Apple Mail wait until the mailbox is upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform - the Apple client software is not accepting the current insecure onetel mail settings
  4. The Username is now the full onetel email address - not just the local (first) part that you may have been using

The onetel email client settings for IMAP are:

Account Type  IMAP
Login / Username username@onetel.com
Password Yes
IMAP mail server name imap.onetel.com
Incoming Port 143
Incoming Connection Security None
Authentication method Normal Password
SMTP mail server name smtp.onetel.com
Outgoing Port 25
Outgoing Connection Security None
Outgoing Authentication No

The above settings apply to onetel mailboxes that are not yet upgraded to the talkTalk Mail platform.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi RPond, has Gondola's post helped you get this sorted? 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

RPond
First Timer

Hi No sorry, still problems even with more help from a computer expert.  But have just found using the Mail App, all my addresses go in, using my password and work well, sending and receiving, etc. Whereas Outlook does not want to know. I think there is more going on than we are being told.

Regards.

Robin

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Robin

By Mail App do you mean TalkTalk Mail? If so and your onetel mailbox is successfully upgraded to TalkTalk Mail then please review the upgrade of your mailbox password.

TalkTalk Mail via a browser is a fully secure IMAP type connection between your computer and the online mailbox.

To upgrade Outlook to the same security level here are the IMAP settings for Outlook. Remember that the Username is now the full onetel email address - not just the local (first) part that you may have been using.

Account Type  IMAP
Username username@onetel.com
Password Yes
IMAP mail server name imap.onetel.com
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
SMTP mail server name smtp.onetel.com
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security StartTLS
My outgoing SMTP server requires authentication Yes

The above email client / email software / app settings apply to onetel mailboxes that are now upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform.  If asked to accept a certificate confirm Yes / Accept.  You can view the certificate to be assured it is registered to TalkTalk.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Robin, there's no secret agenda here. If you use the correct settings there's no reason why you can't use a mail client. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.