Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

email account sold

2 REPLIES 2
Monevk
First Timer

I am told by experian that my account details have been sold on the black market. Not sure what to do. Has anyone else had this?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Monevk

First we need to get your Community membership verified so here's a note:

Moderator Note: To see your post, please verify your Community Membership by clicking on the verification link in the community-notification email. If you've registered with an email address you cannot access then change the Community profile settings email to an alternate and please verify that.

Sorry to see your email account has been compromised. We need to get that account secured and your password changed to a new ultra-strong one.

Have you previously set up Password Recovery for the email address? You could use the Reset your Password option. Or if you're a TalkTalk broadband customer or recent customer you can change your email password in MyAccount > My Services > Webmail - Manage Webmail if the email is listed as one of the 5 email addresses. If there's an empty space in the list, you may be able to add the email address with the Manage Existing Emails option.

If not, you'll need to prove you're the legal owner of the email so just double check that you've added to your Community Profile, Personal Information (Click here) all of the following in the Private Notes area at the bottom of the page:

Email address affected.

Your Full Name.

Date of Birth.

Phone number linked to the email address when first registered.

Full postal address linked to the email address when first registered.

Include your mobile contact number and times to call - daytimes when you'll be there in person to receive the password and speak to the email team (for your security they won't leave a message with the password and there's no number to call them). Don't forget to save changes.

The personal information is used to verify the details recorded for the owner of the email address.

This topic has been escalated to the TalkTalk Community support team and the email expert will respond to you, from Monday onwards, right here to help you with account and password recovery.

In the meantime you need to ask yourself how the account came to be compromised. Was the password weak and or easily guessable?  Have you got keylogger malware on one of your devices?  Did you use the same password elsewhere? Before using any new unique ultra-strong password do run anti-virus and anti-malware on all your devices. Here's some more advice from CyberAware

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Give Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Monevk, you can and should change your password via MyAccount. Make sure you use a long complicated password.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.